• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

UK Politics

football forum

• Replies 852
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, HoneyNUFC said:

Word is May will be kicked out in the summer recess and a new leader will be elected to start in the Autumn. Then probably call another election 

With the media being as it is these days....  I would be very surprised if she lasts to couple of weeks remaining before summer begins.  There is massive turmoil in the Tory party and I doubt she has the 'cojones' or stupidity Corbyn has had to ride it out and make a serious statement.

Labour big hitters need to come to the front bench NOW. The next election could be autumn. Labour needs some sane normal people on tv instead of Abbott. People who are strong and comfortable in the media limelight. Even if they make some Corbynites uncomfortable as the likes of Benn would.

4 minutes ago, HoneyNUFC said:

Labour big hitters need to come to the front bench NOW. The next election could be autumn. Labour needs some sane normal people on tv instead of Abbott. People who are strong and comfortable in the media limelight. Even if they make some Corbynites uncomfortable as the likes of Benn would.

Ooooooh if only my namesake was in there to battle it out against this rabble!  Long gone are the days of someone so big as Tony Benn.

benn1998.jpg

Tony Benn was the man!!!

Not really sure how to feel about all this, but we will have to wait and see the outcome of it all.

I give a lot of credit to Corbyn, he ran a superb campaign and got so many young people to get involved. I think people my age and younger have realised how important politics really is and it's time we started to educate ourselves. I even saw on Twitter earlier a Tory MP commenting on how many young people were at the polls and how they need to now appeal to them. xD

Overall a disastrous campaign for the Tories and May. I don't know really what they expected especially after that disastrous manifesto. All they bleated on about was Brexit and how useless Corbyn was. Hilarious to see the Tories and the right main-stream media call Corbyn a terrorist sympathiser only to join with the DUP. xD

• Subscriber

Corbyn does deserve credit but Labour are still 60 seats short of the Conservatives who absolutely bent over for them with their laughable campaign trail. This is probably the best result Labour could have got so well done to him for that, but they're still HUGELY short of getting into power, as in the potential Labour/SNP/Lib Dem "coalition of chaos" still didn't have as many seats as the Tories.

I'm very much against Brexit, and while it's pretty close between whether it's better to be in or out at the moment, most people underestimate the effects of the cost and uncertainty that comes with the process of detaching ourselves from the EU. There will not be a good deal here regardless of whether May, Corbyn or anyone else negotiates for the UK, and anything other than a crushing Tory majority last night significantly weakens our negotiating position with Brussels which wasn't strong in the first place.

Labour have a chance in the coming years because even if the Conservatives negotiate a relatively decent Brexit deal, there will still be significant short term pain which might see the Labour protest vote grow even more at the next general election.

If Brexit wasn't an issue, the election result would usually make May's position pretty untenable but we're stuck in a lose-lose situation now. Either we stick with May whose authority has been massively undermined by this campaign and election, or she gets ousted and replaced with yet another un-elected prime-minister who gets stuck in the same boat as Theresa was pre-election of then not having the mandate to go ahead with this. Even worse is that most bookies have Boris Johnson as the favourite to be the next Tory leader if May was to be moved aside.

This will never happen but what might actually give us the best position to negotiate Brexit is to send the leaders of Labour and Conservative as part of a negotiating panel to show that the country is actually united behind the decision, as Corbyn and May have both promised to follow it through. However, this is massively idealistic and depends on both parties finding a common ground on negotiating strategy and their priorities which seems a laughable prospect. Like I said though this is just a thought bubble and would never happen in a million years.

37 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Corbyn does deserve credit but Labour are still 60 seats short of the Conservatives who absolutely bent over for them with their laughable campaign trail. This is probably the best result Labour could have got so well done to him for that, but they're still HUGELY short of getting into power, as in the potential Labour/SNP/Lib Dem "coalition of chaos" still didn't have as many seats as the Tories.

I'm very much against Brexit, and while it's pretty close between whether it's better to be in or out at the moment, most people underestimate the effects of the cost and uncertainty that comes with the process of detaching ourselves from the EU. There will not be a good deal here regardless of whether May, Corbyn or anyone else negotiates for the UK, and anything other than a crushing Tory majority last night significantly weakens our negotiating position with Brussels which wasn't strong in the first place.

Labour have a chance in the coming years because even if the Conservatives negotiate a relatively decent Brexit deal, there will still be significant short term pain which might see the Labour protest vote grow even more at the next general election.

If Brexit wasn't an issue, the election result would usually make May's position pretty untenable but we're stuck in a lose-lose situation now. Either we stick with May whose authority has been massively undermined by this campaign and election, or she gets ousted and replaced with yet another un-elected prime-minister who gets stuck in the same boat as Theresa was pre-election of then not having the mandate to go ahead with this. Even worse is that most bookies have Boris Johnson as the favourite to be the next Tory leader if May was to be moved aside.

This will never happen but what might actually give us the best position to negotiate Brexit is to send the leaders of Labour and Conservative as part of a negotiating panel to show that the country is actually united behind the decision, as Corbyn and May have both promised to follow it through. However, this is massively idealistic and depends on both parties finding a common ground on negotiating strategy and their priorities which seems a laughable prospect. Like I said though this is just a thought bubble and would never happen in a million years.

How old are you Rando?

There will definitely be another election as it is unacceptable to have to rely on the DUP to prevent the country from a power vacuum and the Tories know it.

I'm racking my brains and can't think of a decent leadership candidate. Ruth Davidson would win a general election comfortably but she isn't an MP so that's useless. 

I think we are probably coming to the end of Tory rule as they have used up all of their strong image candidates now. It reminds me of Labour under Milliband. 

As we know May would be out already if it wasn't for the SNP pissing people off in Scotland. But to be kicked out properly Labour need to get their act together and rally in unison, that means more concessions from Corbyn to the Blairite's. Tories will come for the economic flaws of Corbyn's freebies at the next election, they'll need to be ready to face a party who will take them seriously from the start.

• Subscriber

For what it's worth, the bookies say favourites are:

Boris (2.62)

David Davis (5.00)

Amber Rudd (6.00)

Ruth Davidson (7.00)

Philip Hammond (13.00)

Other notables:

Michael Gove (26.00)

George Osbourne (34.00)

Jeremy Hunt (34.00)

David Cameron (81.00)

Nigel Farage (81.00)

Some in there just for lolz.

• Subscriber

David Davis seems moderately decent to me without being much of a leader either. Amber Rudd is a bit stronger and stood up well in that debate the other week but she barely scraped her seat last night and she doesn't stand out either. Slim pickings for strong leaders from either party.

• Subscriber

I've really never taken an interest in Politics as much as I should and don't know anywhere near as much in depth as some of you. But I do know it was an effective campaign for Corbyn. 

When was the last time this happened with a hung parliament? Can someone who knows what they're talking about briefly tell me why this has happened and what should happen now? Why did May even call for this election? I'm assuming she thought she would stroll it? Politicians aren't stupid people so why would she even call for this in the first place. Did she think she was popular? 

xD

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, JOSHBRFC said:

I've really never taken an interest in Politics as much as I should and don't know anywhere near as much in depth as some of you. But I do know it was an effective campaign for Corbyn. 

When was the last time this happened with a hung parliament? Can someone who knows what they're talking about briefly tell me why this has happened and what should happen now? Why did May even call for this election? I'm assuming she thought she would stroll it? Politicians aren't stupid people so why would she even call for this in the first place. Did she think she was popular? 

xD

She called it because with both parties still divided in places over leaving the EU, the slim majority the Tories held in the Commons wasn't enough to guarantee she could get everything EU-related through parliament as some Tory MPs may vote against. Coupled with the apparently disjointed Labour party with many prominent front benchers taking a step back due to differences with Jeremy Corbyn, it looked as if she could win a landslide in this election and have a much greater majority and solidifying Conservative power in parliament.

Last hung parliament was in 2010 when the Conservatives led by David Cameron and the Liberal Democrats led by Nick Clegg eventually formed a government together with Clegg becoming deputy prime-minister to Cameron. There will be no formal coalition this time but the DUP from Northern Ireland have agreed to vote through the Conservative budget and allow Theresa May to form a government despite not having more than half of the total seats.

There was a hung parliament a little bit like this in February 1974 and led to a 2nd election in October the same year in which Labour won a tiny majority 2nd time round.

Something similar is likely this time but with the majority being conservative.

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, HoneyNUFC said:

There was a hung parliament a little bit like this in February 1974 and led to a 2nd election in October the same year in which Labour won a tiny majority 2nd time round.

Something similar is likely this time but with the majority being conservative.

So you think there will be another election with Conservative winning by as much as they thought they would this time? And would that just be because of the extra votes from the DUP? What if more of the Tory voters from this time change their mind...

Also, I've never heard of the DUP until this election.

• Subscriber

The DUP are a Northern Irish party who won about 10 seats last night and have similar values to the Conservative party, although the Independent gleefully put together a video today highlighting that they're against abortion and gay marriage.

8 minutes ago, JOSHBRFC said:

So you think there will be another election with Conservative winning by as much as they thought they would this time? And would that just be because of the extra votes from the DUP? What if more of the Tory voters from this time change their mind...

Also, I've never heard of the DUP until this election.

Because the government is supposed to be neutral in Northern Ireland they will be forced to call an election again out of principle I think. May will obviously have to resign though.

If they do it properly this time they will probably win a narrow majority but you never know. May thought she didn't need to bother, the manifesto they produced offered nothing but negatives and she was afraid to debate other leaders. It was the most complacent Tory election campaign ever, it won't be next time. 

The good news is the conservatives have been sent a clear message that their policies are too harsh and don't address a number of crises going on in public services. They will have to change.

The DUP... it can't be done. Teresa May criticised Corbyn for his ties to the IRA in the past and now she's pretty much in bed with the fascists. Racists, homophobes, fascists, against same-sex marriage, anti-disablity, extremely religious... I'd rather shove a spike up my arse than see them both cozy up. I really hope this turns out like the Harold Wilson government and Labour claw in.

We are in a right old mess in this country. Such division among the general public its hard to see where any clear path forward is and worse we don't seem to have anybody capable of leading us there at the moment

They're not in bed it's not a coalition, it's an agreement to vote through budgets which the DUP probably would have done anyway as shared values. As Harvz says get ready for another election. 

Could you not drop a seat put Davidson to contest if in a by election and force her in that way? 

May looks almost in a state of denial and shock. It's her own fault though she's got no personality or opinions she's just a political equivalent of a tick attaching herself to whatever cause is the flavour. 

• The title was changed to UK Politics

Archived