• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Title Run-In...

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 22/03/2019 at 03:37, Happy Blue said:

Being in the hunt for the title is normal for us, that's how it's different 

Not really. Before last season you were no where near winning it for 3 years.

2 minutes ago, Happy Blue said:

2hholdg.jpg

I find it quite funny how you always post videos when someone proves something you can't argue against 

• Subscriber
4 hours ago, Happy Blue said:

Big hurrdle jumped for Liverpool today  ..I think we are going to have to win every game to retain the title now

Nah six more hurdles to go as far as I am concerned. You've got one more but you've been here before and a lot of that squad is still around to provide the experience.

4 hours ago, Happy Blue said:

Big hurrdle jumped for Liverpool today  ..I think we are going to have to win every game to retain the title now

I agree we got through a big test in Spurs but we still have more to come.

We play Chelsea. You play United. Those are big games.

We also both play 5 other teams, and on average would both be likely to drop around 2 points from those along the way.

In my eyes we've gone from having a 5% chance to maybe a 10% chance from this result. City's are peaking at the right time and showing no signs of nerves or tentativeness.

• 2 weeks later...

1. Liverpool: 85pts
2. Man City: 83pts

Remaining Fixtures -

Liverpool:
A v. Cardiff City
H v. Huddersfield
A v. Newcastle
H v. Wolves

Man City:
H v. Tottenham
+ A v. Man Utd
A v. Burnley
H v. Leicester
A v. Brighton&H.

It's still in Man City's hands but they do have Tottenham & Man Utd coming up where you can see them dropping points in at least one of those games whereas you'd have to fancy Liverpool to win their remaining four games.

I'm not sure you'd really expect City to drop anything from the next 15 pts. They've barely dropped a point this year and beat us convincingly so they stand an excellent chance and remain firm favorites. That said where the home stretch of fixtures looked equal a month ago us getting 6 points from Spurs and Chelsea has shortened our odds. 

A big wildcard in the run home will be the Champions league semis where either or both teams may have grueling midweek matches to get through. At this stage Liverpool or more likely to play in semis (vs Barca) than City (vs Juventus) although both are good chances to be there.

I think people have become a bit immune to Manchester City's brilliance, I've heard them described as a 'machine' which is correct in terms of how they produce game after game but unfair as it doesn't really capture how brilliant they are. They're the best attacking side and have threats from all over midfield. Liverpool's more dramatic, exciting contests have contributed to a groundswell of opinion that they'll do it just because of these grandstand moments, in fact I'd say the team going about their business without being tested are in the better position. It remains to be seen whether Spurs or Manchester United will give them a game, then we might see a fragility that we saw around Christmas but I don't see it, especially if they get past Spurs in the Champions League I think they'll be flying high and win both games next week.

• Subscriber

I have backed Liverpool for the last 2 months or more as they are not bottling out like last time with Gerrard's banana feet slip against Chelsea, they made amends for that the other night, hoping now Ole can keep his wheels on his car when we play City and beat them, our son has promised me 2 bottles of red wine from him if we do, I can't let my son down...hic!!  :hh: 

Just now, The Artful Dodger said:

Brendan Rodgers do you a favour? Though going by off here the Leicester fans will be praying for a Manchester City win...

Nah, city aren't gonna fuck about if they've beaten those two I mentioned. 

• Subscriber

I have more faith in Spurs stopping them than United. But with that match not being at home to Spurs its a bit dodgy. I can't see them losing towards the tail-end of their games because, like said above, if they get through the CL congestion and the matches against United and Spurs they'll push for another league title and blow their competition out of the water.

1 hour ago, The Artful Dodger said:

I think people have become a bit immune to Manchester City's brilliance, I've heard them described as a 'machine' which is correct in terms of how they produce game after game but unfair as it doesn't really capture how brilliant they are. They're the best attacking side and have threats from all over midfield. Liverpool's more dramatic, exciting contests have contributed to a groundswell of opinion that they'll do it just because of these grandstand moments, in fact I'd say the team going about their business without being tested are in the better position. It remains to be seen whether Spurs or Manchester United will give them a game, then we might see a fragility that we saw around Christmas but I don't see it, especially if they get past Spurs in the Champions League I think they'll be flying high and win both games next week.

Without a doubt. I think the only reason people would favour Liverpool is more believers in superstition, based on some last minute goals etc. City have won 9 games straight and massively the form team of 2019, beating Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea by a combined 11-2, and just one freak loss to Newcastle.

In a combined 11 I'd have cities entire midfield and attack in ahead of any Liverpool player. They are that bloody good. They have won all their recent games with ease, and haven't even looked troubled. 

• Administrator
15 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Brendan Rodgers do you a favour? Though going by off here the Leicester fans will be praying for a Manchester City win...

Obsessed. 

1 hour ago, CaaC - John said:

I have backed Liverpool for the last 2 months or more as they are not bottling out like last time with Gerrard's banana feet slip against Chelsea, they made amends for that the other night, hoping now Ole can keep his wheels on his car when we play City and beat them, our son has promised me 2 bottles of red wine from him if we do, I can't let my son down...hic!!  :hh: 

That's going to be a pretty critical game to your top 4 ambitions too. If Arsenal win their games in hand there is a bit of comfort for them and Spurs with the top 4. United will need to come home strong.

5 hours ago, Harry said:

Without a doubt. I think the only reason people would favour Liverpool is more believers in superstition, based on some last minute goals etc. City have won 9 games straight and massively the form team of 2019, beating Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea by a combined 11-2, and just one freak loss to Newcastle.

In a combined 11 I'd have cities entire midfield and attack in ahead of any Liverpool player. They are that bloody good. They have won all their recent games with ease, and haven't even looked troubled. 

You dont think Salah or Mane are good enough to oust players like Sane and B Silva etc? I'd say Salah would walk into their team. Fabinho isn't far from being good enough to make their midfield either. 

Archived