talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Title Run-In...

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

D0zm9LGWsAEFmhM?format=jpg&name=large

If City come through that run of fixtures in April and go on to win it you just have to say fair play and the best team won it.

Their game with Cardiff likely to be moved to 2nd or 3rd April if they reach the FA Cup semis

• Subscriber

Liverpool will win tomorrow. Whether it's a romp or a bit more laborious will potentially be telling.

Still think it's not over, City were unconvincing again today. Had a good 15 minutes after being gifted the lead, otherwise a bit meh. Perhaps they're deliberately conserving energy with the fixtures to come.

• Subscriber

Most of the pressure really starts to build after that international break right before the hard fixtures start. I always hate them because you know someone is coming back injured or carrying a knock. I just hope we don't incur any but that's a very difficult thing to predict these days. The good news is that we have the Spurs and Chelsea games early and even though its not an assured win the good news is that during the period City play Spurs and United we're going to have a comparatively easier fixture list assuming we dont get far in the CL.

It's not over yet but this next week and the first week after the international break are extremely crucial to how the rest of the run pans out now.

2 hours ago, Inverted said:

In both teams' current form there's no way City don't win.

However, if Oxlade Chamberlain hits the ground running and City get fatigued with all competitions there's a chance for Liverpool. 

There is a way mate. We could still win all our remaining games despite being unconvincing. And city could be the better team in a scoreless draw or even get done by a dodgy pen and  that would be enough. 

Its unlikely for sure but not impossible. 

11 hours ago, JOSHBRFC said:

If City do win it what would be worse for you Liverpool fans? This lead you've let slip or the Gerrard slip?

Considering I didn’t think we’d be in a title race this season, Rodgers’s side letting a good lead slip is worse than us going toe to toe with the side that broke the league’s point record last season then added to their already insane depth

3 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Considering I didn’t think we’d be in a title race this season, Rodgers’s side letting a good lead slip is worse than us going toe to toe with the side that broke the league’s point record last season then added to their already insane depth

I think I expected us to challenge this season but not necessarily win it. I could have seen a situation where we finished second on 90+ points and that could still happen.

I'm not sure what I'd be more gutted about to be honest. 2014 was the one where no one expected us to be close and then we let it go when we were. That felt like a chance that wasn't going to come along again for a long time because it was unexpected and wasn't really built on solid foundations. 

This year, I'd be gutted if this side finished on 90+ points and didn't win it. We're talking about the best Liverpool side in a generation and statistically one of our best ever. Yet they could still end up without anything to show for it. However it doesn't feel like it will be our only chance over the next few years. The club as a whole feels like it's in a good place right now and to challenge in the future. This feels different to 2009 and 2014.

Just now, LFCMike said:

I think I expected us to challenge this season but not necessarily win it. I could have seen a situation where we finished second on 90+ points and that could still happen.

I'm not sure what I'd be more gutted about to be honest. 2014 was the one where no one expected us to be close and then we let it go when we were. That felt like a chance that wasn't going to come along again for a long time because it was unexpected and wasn't really built on solid foundations. 

This year, I'd be gutted if this side finished on 90+ points and didn't win it. We're talking about the best Liverpool side in a generation and statistically one of our best ever. Yet they could still end up without anything to show for it. However it doesn't feel like it will be our only chance over the next few years. The club as a whole feels like it's in a good place right now and to challenge in the future. This feels different to 2009 and 2014.

Yeah I'd still be gutted; in 2014 though it really did seem like a golden chance that once Suarez left... I felt we looked miles away from. Whereas now, we could have a stupidly good season, probably be the best Liverpool team in my lifetime, and not have a title to show for it. Which is irritating as fuck, but we also seem like we're in such a better place than 2014.

On 19/03/2019 at 01:05, Dr. Gonzo said:

Totally agree. The Rodgers era outcome left me distraught and emotionally broken. Beyond despair. 

I think this season would just leave me a bit pissed off. Ultimately i do not expect to win.

But still most likely it would be the highest ever points total for second place. Say we go 5-2-0 that's a final points tally of 93 which would have been a title winning tally in 24 of 26 seasons in the PL era.

2 minutes ago, Harvsky said:

I didn't say it wasn't but it's yours to lose and this title has a lot greater meaning for Liverpool so it must somewhat be worse.

I don't see it that way. They have a game in hand and much better goal difference, in better form and arguably an easier run in. They are absolutely the favorites in this situation. 

We just need to keep winning to keep the pressure on them.

On 19/03/2019 at 04:50, Dr. Gonzo said:

Yeah I'd still be gutted; in 2014 though it really did seem like a golden chance that once Suarez left... I felt we looked miles away from. Whereas now, we could have a stupidly good season, probably be the best Liverpool team in my lifetime, and not have a title to show for it. Which is irritating as fuck, but we also seem like we're in such a better place than 2014.

Well said. It will hurt less to lose here because you could be much more confident that we'll contend it again next year. Whereas the Rodgers team seemed on a miracle run like Leicester but lost and it felt like it could be years away from another title challenge. 

10 minutes ago, Harry said:

I don't see it that way. They have a game in hand and much better goal difference, in better form and arguably an easier run in. They are absolutely the favorites in this situation. 

We just need to keep winning to keep the pressure on them.

Maybe right now but that's because Liverpool lost the long standing lead they had. Dropped 11 points this year to Man City's 3. To not win the title now is at best should of could of would of to at worst a failure.

1 hour ago, Harvsky said:

This part of the season can't be enjoyable for Liverpool. Every game must start with intense nerves.

I try to enjoy the games as they come, but I'm nervous all the way through, especially lately where we haven't finished off any games early on.

1 hour ago, Happy Blue said:

Being in the hunt for the title is normal for us, that's how it's different 

Yeah but we're chasing not leading. We're used to being the underdogs and in this situation we're still in that same position. 

Archived