talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Real Madrid (3) 1-4 (5) Ajax (2nd Leg) - Tuesday 5th March, 2019

Also I'm now quite sure that Varane is a pace merchant. His game hasn't seemed to change at all since I first saw him become a regular with Madrid.

Hes very effective because he can cover most of his mistakes in time but I just can't look at him and think he's really a world class defender.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This result has really made me appreciate Zidane, Ramos and Ronaldo more, 3 players I criticized. Ronaldo for not being the same player and being more limited these days, Zidane for not being a tactical genius, and Ramos for being an average defender.

Say what you want about all of them but they are so influential for their teams. Ronaldo is a goalscorer these days and a damn effective one. Without him, Real Madrid lost 50 goals. Maybe he didn't have a free role in the Zidane era like he did prior but his goals and big game moments were what kept Real Madrid contending for honours.

Zidane is an average tactician, but he's obviously clear and respected within his team. The players understood him and he had an effective way to use an aging Ronaldo. You can't fault him for that.

As for Ramos, he's a bang average defender but he's such a shithouse and a team leader that he works and just those 2 things make him a phenomal footballers. It's a weird one because I'm not sure what he offers from a technical perspective, at least not for a team like Madrid. His intelligence really makes him a key part of this game. He doesn't care about anyone other than his team.

Now, I stand by on my previous critiques on all of them, but I have at least seen them in more of an influential light. It makes you really think how good they can be when played in a certain role and when told what not to do. This was Zidane's biggest strength I think. Again, you shouldn't expect breath taking football from him but he has a formula and is great at reading a players strengths.

• The title was changed to Real Madrid (3) 1-4 (5) Ajax (2nd Leg) - Tuesday 5th March, 2019
  • The topic was unpinned
  • Subscriber
On 05/03/2019 at 22:40, Panna King said:

Seems like its been a great day for the Ajax fans

Imagine how much literally any English club would get absolutely pasted for acting "small time" for this after winning a last 16 tie against Real Madrid or Barcelona.

Not saying Ajax are small time because of this but it's weird how dramatically different the perception is.

12 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Imagine how much literally any English club would get absolutely pasted for acting "small time" for this after winning a last 16 tie against Real Madrid or Barcelona.

Not saying Ajax are small time because of this but it's weird how dramatically different the perception is.

That is just the media,    alot of people in The Netherlands knew Ajax had a great chance to win this tie.  Don’t forget Real have won this cup 3 times in a row and it was thier biggest defeat ever at home in the Champions League.  Also Ajax dont get a chance to show how good they due to the league they are in and how football has changed since they were winning European titles. 

• Administrator
7 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Any English club's fans don't get that far to making scenes like that cos they're pounced on by the police and beaten up. 

7 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Forgive me, but wasn't this video from the day of the game?

On 06/03/2019 at 10:32, Blue said:

This result has really made me appreciate Zidane, Ramos and Ronaldo more, 3 players I criticized. Ronaldo for not being the same player and being more limited these days, Zidane for not being a tactical genius, and Ramos for being an average defender.

Say what you want about all of them but they are so influential for their teams. Ronaldo is a goalscorer these days and a damn effective one. Without him, Real Madrid lost 50 goals. Maybe he didn't have a free role in the Zidane era like he did prior but his goals and big game moments were what kept Real Madrid contending for honours.

Zidane is an average tactician, but he's obviously clear and respected within his team. The players understood him and he had an effective way to use an aging Ronaldo. You can't fault him for that.

As for Ramos, he's a bang average defender but he's such a shithouse and a team leader that he works and just those 2 things make him a phenomal footballers. It's a weird one because I'm not sure what he offers from a technical perspective, at least not for a team like Madrid. His intelligence really makes him a key part of this game. He doesn't care about anyone other than his team.

Now, I stand by on my previous critiques on all of them, but I have at least seen them in more of an influential light. It makes you really think how good they can be when played in a certain role and when told what not to do. This was Zidane's biggest strength I think. Again, you shouldn't expect breath taking football from him but he has a formula and is great at reading a players strengths.

It's not just C.Ronaldo's goals but his presence alone as he gives teams a lot more to think about when he's on the pitch. Even if he's having a shit game, whenever he gets the ball he makes you put your hands over your face, whereas they don't have a weapon like that now.

Vinicius Junior will soon be one of those players(obviously not Cristiano level, but a top player) from what I've seen of him as he's a real talent, but he's not there yet.

If you sell a player like C.Ronaldo, then you have to bring in a replacement. As you said, they are now lacking 50 goals and that is a big difference as some teams don't even score that amount.

Anyway, this is brilliant, not just for Ajax themselves, but football as a whole as they are a legendary club and one of the most prestigious of alltime. To see them pulling off a big result like this is great for the game and hopefully they can continue to grow again. Unfortunately that probably won't be the case as all the biggest clubs from England, Spain, Italy, Germany and France will be watching them like hawks right now. De Jong is already leaving at the end of the year too.

2 hours ago, The Rebel CRS said:

It's not just C.Ronaldo's goals but his presence alone as he gives teams a lot more to think about when he's on the pitch. Even if he's having a shit game, whenever he gets the ball he makes you put your hands over your face, whereas they don't have a weapon like that now.

Vinicius Junior will soon be one of those players(obviously not Cristiano level, but a top player) from what I've seen of him as he's a real talent, but he's not there yet.

If you sell a player like C.Ronaldo, then you have to bring in a replacement. As you said, they are now lacking 50 goals and that is a big difference as some teams don't even score that amount.

Anyway, this is brilliant, not just for Ajax themselves, but football as a whole as they are a legendary club and one of the most prestigious of alltime. To see them pulling off a big result like this is great for the game and hopefully they can continue to grow again. Unfortunately that probably won't be the case as all the biggest clubs from England, Spain, Italy, Germany and France will be watching them like hawks right now. De Jong is already leaving at the end of the year too.

Neres and De Ligt are certain to leave as well. 

3 hours ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Ajax beating the Barcelona, the club that stole their identity and sugared it with a large does self-righteousness, would be lovely.

Yeah very true, I read a lot of the foreign news about Ajax's win over Real and they described Ajax beating Real Madrid playing Barcelona style football! xD

Ajax is facing a fourth UEFA punishment this season for fan misconduct at Champions League games.

UEFA says Ajax has been charged with fans throwing objects and “acts of damage” at Real Madrid’s Santiago Bernabeu Stadium in a 4-1 victory last week.

UEFA’s disciplinary panel will judge the case on March 28, ahead of the quarterfinals.

Ajax has been ordered to pay a total of 77,000 euros ($87,000) for crowd disturbances and other incidents at three games earlier in the competition.

After a group game at Benfica, UEFA put Ajax on probation for one year with a threat to ban selling tickets to fans for an away game.

On 08/03/2019 at 08:22, Panna King said:

Yeah very true, I read a lot of the foreign news about Ajax's win over Real and they described Ajax beating Real Madrid playing Barcelona style football! xD

Actually that style of football "tiki-taka" was created in the 40's by River Plate's "La Maquina"

Archived