talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

PSG (3) 1-3a (3) Man Utd (2nd Leg) - Wednesday 6th March, 2019

Don't know what was better, seeing Di Maria's face after the game or Neymar's when he went down to the bench at around 85th minute and was ready to celebrate with his teammates and in the end they didn't qualified and he had a meltdown on social medias. 

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Lucas said:

PSG have spent more than £1.1 billion in transfers and still haven't got further than us in the Champions League.

Manchester City has spent more and also hasn't won it .

• Subscriber

Think the hate for PSG was rather mild initially then the ridiculous Neymar deal happened and at the time people couldn't understand what was going on but the general sentiment was "what" with a capital W. Then the whole business of it being state owned which makes it even more undigestable but to be fair to PSG its not like Man City aren't indirectly state owned as well even if they have gone about it in a far better way. Its also more about what is current rather than focusing on the past, Chelsea are a nobody right now when it comes to the European scene and domestic scene, City are enjoying a great spell and breaking records while doing so, Real and Barcelona have both been around long enough that their drama transcends the club and stays more with the individuals but then you have PSG who have all the aforementioned big problems they've brought on themselves add to the fact that they haven't seen the inside of a ground prepped for the semi-final of a Champions League game. 

It's quite funny that its been brought up that clubs spend and don't win things but its rather odd that most of that spending is never really punished properly by UEFA and nor will it ever because the wheels on that bus have to go round. To piss off that kind of investment takes some iron balls of which UEFA and FIFA have none and while we can all really hate these clubs and their business models its really the way football works today.

I am sure they'll take a backseat to the next big club that comes around with a brighter more lucrative business model but for now they are the whipping boys and after last night they'll be the joke of the town for a few more days.

2 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

Think the hate for PSG was rather mild initially then the ridiculous Neymar deal happened and at the time people couldn't understand what was going on but the general sentiment was "what" with a capital W. Then the whole business of it being state owned which makes it even more undigestable but to be fair to PSG its not like Man City aren't indirectly state owned as well even if they have gone about it in a far better way. Its also more about what is current rather than focusing on the past, Chelsea are a nobody right now when it comes to the European scene and domestic scene, City are enjoying a great spell and breaking records while doing so, Real and Barcelona have both been around long enough that their drama transcends the club and stays more with the individuals but then you have PSG who have all the aforementioned big problems they've brought on themselves add to the fact that they haven't seen the inside of a ground prepped for the semi-final of a Champions League game. 

It's quite funny that its been brought up that clubs spend and don't win things but its rather odd that most of that spending is never really punished properly by UEFA and nor will it ever because the wheels on that bus have to go round. To piss off that kind of investment takes some iron balls of which UEFA and FIFA have none and while we can all really hate these clubs and their business models its really the way football works today.

Yes - I'm sure the hate for PSG grew more and more with the purchase of Neymar, just because he is such a dislikeable guy.  Same could be said of Dani Alves and Di Maria, so maybe a portion of it is based on the current squad. 

I don't PSG and thoroughly enjoy them losing, but I don't understand why Manchester City gets a pass whereas PSG don't. Seems to be to be very hypocritical. but you do certainly bring up some good points. 

14 minutes ago, Eco said:

Yes - I'm sure the hate for PSG grew more and more with the purchase of Neymar, just because he is such a dislikeable guy.  Same could be said of Dani Alves and Di Maria, so maybe a portion of it is based on the current squad. 

I don't PSG and thoroughly enjoy them losing, but I don't understand why Manchester City gets a pass whereas PSG don't. Seems to be to be very hypocritical. but you do certainly bring up some good points. 

There is that they could suddenly afford to drop 0.4 billion on him and mbappe.

Then there is his personality and image. 

PSG have not in any way been even close to as image conscious as city. City had a clear plan to woo Pep and were pretty careful how they went about things after a few experiments in the early years. PSG have been reckless and signed some of the most detestable players in the game. They're trying to be galacticos where city are just trying to win titles...

I think city have the much more astute rich arabs. 

There may also be more stemming from the Qatar connection in psg,  and the resentment for that awful world cup. 

• Subscriber
11 minutes ago, Harry said:

I think city have the much more astute rich arabs. 

I don't think its just that you have to remember that Abu Dhabi sat in the background while Dubai did all the legwork for so many years building and getting business to come to them from all corners of the globe. It's only recently (last 5 - 10 years) that they've started taking a keen interest in external investments through other avenues, sport being one. So in effect they've had years of this kind of business to deal with and teach them lessons along the way. When it comes to Qatar they've had only media and natural gas as their core business systems and with all the turmoil going on there and the feuds with the other GCC states they've had to expand business in ways they don't really truly understand yet. As with anything time is the key here and if they get enough time they'll find ways to be as effective as Abu Dhabi's investment in Man City.

• Administrator
51 minutes ago, Lucas said:

For sure but that wasn't the fact. They have reached a semi, PSG have only got to the quaters.

I can relate, and got a semi when we reached the quarters. Does that count?

19 hours ago, ...Dan said:

How often do you watch French football? I think I know the answer.

By the way Rennes knocked Betis out of the Europa League too.

Real Betis have massively burnt out though and you can see the season catching up with them now.

That's not me saying French football is poor mind as I find it very underrated currently. It's a league on the up and we are seeing more and more teams causing upsets in Europe and doing well.

The French league isn't any worse than Serie A or the Bundesliga in this day and age if you ask me. Then again, football as a whole is quite poor nowadays(the worst I've ever known it) as the Premier league is eating away at everything creating a massive imbalance. Only La Liga, away from the Premier league, is what I'd regard as being a top league nowadays, although even that won't last forever itself.

• Subscriber

Manchester United penalty vs PSG: Uefa explain why referee was correct to award spot kick Decision to penalise defender Presnel Kimpembe was met with derision but the governing body says Damir Skomina followed protocol.

Uefa has confirmed that referee Damir Skomina was correct to award Manchester United a dramatic stoppage time penalty against Paris Saint-Germain in the second-leg of their Champions League last 16 tie on Wednesday night. The decision to penalise PSG defender Presnel Kimpembe for handball was met with derision from manager Thomas Tuchel (“no logic”), injured forward Neymar (“a disgrace“) and even former Manchester United players. Read more: Manchester United penalty vs PSG: Was referee correct to award spot kick for handball? “It’s not a penalty in a million years,” said a dumbfounded Michael Owen in the BT Sport studio.

Uefa statement The VAR, after checking various different angles available to him, recommended to the referee an on-field review following the penalty area incident. Given that the referee did not recognise the incident clearly during live play (referred to as serious missed incident in the VAR protocol) an on-field review was conducted. Following the on-field review, the referee confirmed that the distance that the ball travelled was not short and the impact could therefore not be unexpected. The defender’s arm was not close to the body, which made the defender’s body bigger thus resulting in the ball being stopped from travelling in the direction of the goal. The referee, therefore, awarded a penalty kick. All the above-mentioned decisions were made in full compliance with the VAR protocol.

https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/champions-league/manchester-united-penalty-vs-psg-uefa-statement-var-explained-handball-law/

• Subscriber

So according to that rule here's a nice VAR scenario, as a defender I am running with an attacker to stop the ball from a cross and as a result of me being 6.3 and the attacker 5.11 I have naturally made my body bigger. I have no clue where the ball is coming from and its travelling from Hong Kong to New York since its been pinged from the halfway line. Now, the ball hits my arm while I am chasing said attacker in the box and there is no one between me and the goal except my goalkeeper but theoretically the ball could have bounced twice into the goal while my goalkeeper developed paralysis and his feet sunk into the imaginary sandpit in the middle of the goal. I suppose that's a penalty too according to that rule? Even though there is no clear goal scoring chance from the attacker and the attacker has no way of getting the ball? 

Not trying to argue with UEFA and their rules but in all honesty if the point in case is to interpret the rule anyway the referee sees fit then what's the point in having a rule in the first place? Let the ref see the VAR screen and call it himself (which in this case he didn't do he was prompted by their decision). I sometimes think managers and (ex)players don't really read or know the rules for that year which is why they make such a fuss but that's a rule that's a tad bit absurd and the explanation is even more ridiculous.

• The topic was unpinned

This is the first time the club has felt like Manchester United since Fergie retired. I really cannot pay any higher tribute than that and nowt more needs to be said. I enjoyed seeing Di Maria's gormless face afterwards too, which was a brand new experience.

Also, why was showpony Neymar trapping off about the penalty for? Doesn't he know big clubs usually get the big decisions? He used to play for one ffs

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Salford Kel said:

This is the first time the club has felt like Manchester United since Fergie retired. I really cannot pay any higher tribute than that and nowt more needs to be said. I enjoyed seeing Di Maria's gormless face afterwards too, which was a brand new experience.

Also, why was showpony Neymar trapping off about the penalty for? Doesn't he know big clubs usually get the big decisions? He used to play for one ffs

Seeing his dreams be absolutely crushed after selling out to move to PSG was a beautiful sight though. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Champions League: Neymar charged for comments after the loss to Man Utd

Paris Saint-Germain forward Neymar has been charged with making "insulting acts against a match official" following his comments on social media about the Champions League tie with Manchester United.

The 27-year-old called the decision to award United a 94th-minute penalty in the match on 7 March "a disgrace".

Marcus Rashford scored to ensure a 3-1 win and the Premier League side went through to the Champions League quarter-finals on away goals after the tie ended 3-3 on aggregate.

The penalty was awarded through VAR after referee Damir Skomina had initially given United a corner when Diogo Dalot's shot struck Presnel Kimpembe and went over the crossbar.

Skomina received a signal to check for a possible handball in the box and subsequently changed his decision.

Neymar missed both legs of the tie through injury but wrote in an Instagram post that the penalty "doesn't exist".

He added: "Four guys who know nothing about football watch a slow-motion replay in front of the television."

A hearing date is yet to be confirmed.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47672436

Archived