• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Other Matches - Saturday 9th March, 2019

football forum

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Burning Gold said:

The double jeopardy rule is a good one. The red card for a professional foul is because it stops a clear goalscoring opportunity; it's moronic to dish out a red card and at the same time award a clear goalscoring opportunity in the form of a penalty.

In that case, though, Pickford clearly made no attempt to play the ball so should've seen red.

That's what I would think. Since Pickford made no effort, he gets off with a PK and no card which is better than no card and Rondon with an open net.

Shocking that Pickford was able to stay on.

• Subscriber

Watched at the pub so hard to analyse the game properly but I feel like I've been mugged there without realising I was actually being mugged. Newcastle offered nothing for 60 minutes and we had control of the game. The build up for their first goal was quality to be fair but Pickford should have saved that one and nobody needs me to point out how badly at fault he was for the second goal.

The failure to kill their momentum leading to the third goal stinks of prime Martinez era Everton and I can't believe we're still having to suffer that 3-4 years down the line.

Keane and Zouma are both good defenders but we need a Jagielka character in there to put a fucking stop to shit like that happening. No team at any level should be leading home or away after 64 minutes and come away without even a point.

I can't even point fingers at the manager because I don't see what else he can do. Ask Pickford to save shots straight at him without punching them straight to the feet of unmarked strikers? He put on an extra defender to try and settle the game which should have been enough but yet again our opponents wanted it more and came out on top. Then when we need to get the kitchen sink out at the end he's got the choice of Walcott and Tosun to call on, both the latest in a long line of miserable failures brought to the club pre-Brands/Silva.

I feel like the word disgraceful should be saved for exceptional circumstances but the fact is that Everton are exceptional circumstances yet again today and have been on a regular basis for 5 years. Not good enough.

The fans were superb last weekend and gave the team the opportunity to galvanise their season which they appeared to be taking in the first half today, but once again those fans are let down by the club's terrible recruitment over the past 5 years once again manifesting itself on the pitch. We barely have eleven players good and consistent enough for the top half of the Premier League and not a single leader among them.

Disgraceful is a word I've been throwing around with regards to us for too long yet once again it's fully justified. Fuck off Everton.

• Subscriber

As for the debate over double/triple punishment, colour me surprised that one of the seemingly clear rules in football these days actually has 3-4 different permutations that are open to interpretation. Why are we remotely surprised that there is no consistency in officiating when you have to have three PhDs to actually understand the rules with the benefit of seventeen replays and not having to be out there in the thick of it and make split second decisions.

• Administrator

Happy with the 3 points. Seems like a lot more went on in the other matches though xD

With Everton and West Ham dropping points, important we got the win and didn't fall behind from top half even further. Tielemans is some player. Slotted straight in to the side when he joined and seems to just get better and better. Very unselfish of Vardy to lay it off for him to score. Aside from the goal though the way he reads the game and has comfortability and composure on the ball is just what we needed. Really hope we sign him in summer. 

Controlled the game for majority of the 90mins. Only slight dip in momentum after half time when Fulham changed their shape and personnel. Poor goal to concede but our quality showed and deserved nothing less than 3 points. 

• Administrator

Also, that penalty rule where you can only be sent off in certain situations comes from FIFA/IFAB so should be applied across the world. Thought it was good that it's been brought in but only works successfully and properly if applied consistently. 

• Administrator

Think it'll be between Cardiff and Southampton for the final relegation spot, despite their victories today. 

Fulham and Huddersfield must hate those results even though their chances of survival are slimmer than ever anyway. 

First half was a continuation of the problems at West Ham. These players in this set up is good against the bottom sides but vulnerable against the mid table teams with better individual quality. Rafa playing around with the attacking positioning in the 2nd half paid dividends.

Massive 3 points. It's looking like 38 points might be needed to stay up.

3 hours ago, Stan said:

Think it'll be between Cardiff and Southampton for the final relegation spot, despite their victories today. 

Fulham and Huddersfield must hate those results even though their chances of survival are slimmer than ever anyway. 

Assuming Liverpool win, I'd put Burnley in that mix as well. 

Unfortunately, despite giving a good fight, I just can't see us staying up, especially as we have Chelsea, Man City, Liverpool and Man U as four of our remaining eight games. 

• Subscriber

It's very refreshing to see us attack with purpose and try to really put one of these crap sides to the sword at home. The first half was probably our best all season although we really dropped off in the 2nd, managing to concede with our first shot faced yet again even if it did take until the 50th minute this time.

I was worried we were about to blow that game at 1-1 and lose it but never let anyone tell you that Vardy is past-it. He's still got in and it's clear that under Puel he was just never properly utilised. Rodgers seems to appreciate his value.

There are things to work on for sure but that was a good watch. We created chances and deserved the win I'd say. Vardy MOTM, thought Ndidi had a good game too and reminded me of the kid we signed two years ago rather than the nervous wreck we've seen most of this season. Tielemans has real quality about him although he does seem to tire very easily and this is my only real concern with him.

The only down side was Demarai Gray who was frankly appalling.

• Subscriber
5 hours ago, LFCMike said:

Everton losing that was the most obvious result of the weekend after putting everything into last week

2 hours ago, LFCMike said:

Newcastle v Everton on first on MOTD. Got to be pleased with that Blues?:ph34r:

39 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

26 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Pickford is absolutely shite isn't he? xD

Seeing as this would otherwise be your fourth post without response, I'm just letting you know that nobody cares mate. Keep trying if you like though. Hope you enjoyed the brief moment where you think you've got one of us to bite when you see I've quoted you.

Not that it excuses our players in any way because 2-2 would have also been disgraceful from the position we're in but I don't think I've ever seen a linesman fail to spot five players in offside positions at once in the build up to a match-winning goal. Pretty special effort.

PD8wsKG.jpg.50d4a6477d8592ff24aa1f7b19953b1c.jpg

Sometimes you just have to admit that officials do a hard job. This is not one of those occasions.

10 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Seeing as this would otherwise be your fourth post without response, I'm just letting you know that nobody cares mate. Keep trying if you like though. Hope you enjoyed the brief moment where you think you've got one of us to bite when you see I've quoted you.

Not that it excuses our players in any way because 2-2 would have also been disgraceful from the position we're in but I don't think I've ever seen a linesman fail to spot five players in offside positions at once in the build up to a match-winning goal. Pretty special effort.

PD8wsKG.jpg.50d4a6477d8592ff24aa1f7b19953b1c.jpg

Sometimes you just have to admit that officials do a hard job. This is not one of those occasions.

Nobody cares about what? 

That was a terrible decision for the winning goal. However I think you got away with one in the first half so can't really have any complaints.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, LFCMike said:

Nobody cares about what? 

That was a terrible decision for the winning goal. However I think you got away with one in the first half so can't really have any complaints.

Which one did we get away with? Pickford staying on the pitch? I think we can both agree that that fucked us more than anything else today. xD

Just now, RandoEFC said:

Which one did we get away with? Pickford staying on the pitch? I think we can both agree that that fucked us more than anything else today. xD

Ha, fair point, he is terrible like

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Ha, fair point, he is terrible like

He's not terrible, but he isn't as good as he's been made out following the world cup.

Last season he was mostly excellent and tidied up all of our player of the season awards. Then he had a really good World Cup where his level was above his usual level. This season has been a mixed bag, today was really awful and obviously there was the fuck up at Anfield but it doesn't mean he's shite.

He's got a weird personality for a goalkeeper, far too erratic. What he could do with is us signing a number two to give him some competition, perhaps that's what will get him focused and back on track.

One home win in six, four away wins all season, three league wins this calendar year, one win in the previous six league games, 11th in the Premier League and six points off 7th.

It also seems as though Marco Silva is not learning from his past at Hull City and most certainly Watford, genuine question to the Evertonians here, though I still expect some form of abuse from some, despite the stats above, it still seems as though Silva has the support of the Everton fans, what makes you think he can “turn this around” so to speak? I’m guessing signings are partially out of his hands but is there confidence that he and the club can sign the right players for once?

9 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

He's not terrible, but he isn't as good as he's been made out following the world cup.

Last season he was mostly excellent and tidied up all of our player of the season awards. Then he had a really good World Cup where his level was above his usual level. This season has been a mixed bag, today was really awful and obviously there was the fuck up at Anfield but it doesn't mean he's shite.

He's got a weird personality for a goalkeeper, far too erratic. What he could do with is us signing a number two to give him some competition, perhaps that's what will get him focused and back on track.

I think he makes far too many mistakes. Like you say, very erratic. Could maybe hide behind the poor side/defence excuse at Sunderland and for large parts of the season at Everton last season. Then things are meant to improve for Everton as a team and he starts making high profile errors. I'm not having him. Your support seems very split on him too in my experience

• The topic was unpinned

Archived