talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Pep Guardiola to Juventus

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I suppose in some ways, it’s the next natural move for him. He’s managed elite teams in Spain, Germany and England, he’s only got Italy left to tick off from the four major leagues, so a move to Juvents seems a given. 

He’s played there, although fleetingly, with Brescia so he has some grasp of the league and knowing him, probably the language too. 

• Subscriber

Embarrassing move for Pep if so. He hasn't proved much since he left Barcelona which was his biggest real achievement.

Bayern was just easy titles and he didn't win the European cup but okay he proved he can do it outside his home in Barcelona.

City win a title or two with unlimited resources and yet to win the European cup but I guess it proves he can win what's perceived as the hardest league at the top level.

Going to Juventus would a huge cop out and you can't even argue that it would prove something small. If I was him I'd be bored of winning domestic titles, half the time in second gear. Not a popular opinion but I'd think much more highly of him if he went to an Arsenal/Napoli/Roma/Lyon/Dortmund type club and won one title in the next 4 year's or so than if he goes to Juventus and wins a couple of Italian titles before moving onto PSG.

17 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Embarrassing move for Pep if so. He hasn't proved much since he left Barcelona which was his biggest real achievement.

Bayern was just easy titles and he didn't win the European cup but okay he proved he can do it outside his home in Barcelona.

City win a title or two with unlimited resources and yet to win the European cup but I guess it proves he can win what's perceived as the hardest league at the top level.

Going to Juventus would a huge cop out and you can't even argue that it would prove something small. If I was him I'd be bored of winning domestic titles, half the time in second gear. Not a popular opinion but I'd think much more highly of him if he went to an Arsenal/Napoli/Roma/Lyon/Dortmund type club and won one title in the next 4 year's or so than if he goes to Juventus and wins a couple of Italian titles before moving onto PSG.

Really? He takes strong teams with huge player personalities, guts them, introduces his own philosophy, and improves their results. How is that not impressive? Who else can go to the best team in Germany, tell them they doing it wrong and have the players follow him? Last time Brian Clough tried that he was sacked in two weeks. Just need to take a look at Chelsea or Manchester United, what manager has upended the current club philosophy, and planted their own identity on it? Their is more to measuring the success of Pep Guardiola than just CL success, even Fergie only won it twice in his career.

Yeah, everyone wants the fairytale of Pep Guardiola turning no-name team #17 into Barcelona but I doubt that is even possible.

• Subscriber
24 minutes ago, Spike said:

Really? He takes strong teams with huge player personalities, guts them, introduces his own philosophy, and improves their results. How is that not impressive? Who else can go to the best team in Germany, tell them they doing it wrong and have the players follow him? Last time Brian Clough tried that he was sacked in two weeks. Just need to take a look at Chelsea or Manchester United, what manager has upended the current club philosophy, and planted their own identity on it? Their is more to measuring the success of Pep Guardiola than just CL success, even Fergie only won it twice in his career.

Yeah, everyone wants the fairytale of Pep Guardiola turning no-name team #17 into Barcelona but I doubt that is even possible.

I'm not suggesting he takes over at Tranmere and we expect him to win the Champions League in 5 seasons. It's not unreasonable to suggest that he'd prove more by taking over a nearly elite club and making that difference to turn them into title winners like Klopp at Dortmund and potentially Liverpool, Jardim at Monaco, Mourinho at Chelsea the first time, and countless other examples. I'm not going to be one of those nonces that calls Pep a fraud and a chequebook manager, but there's only so much credit I'm willing to give someone who always wins when they start off in front. You could argue that taking the Bayern and Man City jobs represented a new challenge for him with it being a new country for Bayern and the apparent top league in the world for City, but going to Italy is just meh.

5 hours ago, Spike said:

Bayern won the treble the year before he joined and for me were absolutely blistering that year. Pep won by playing a different way. 

City he's improved greatly and definitely cemented their more tenuous grip on being title favorites every year but I'd still class it as a fairly safe achievement given their resources. 

He's still one of the best in the game but if he broke a multi decade drought at arsenal or liverpool,  or put a 6th place United back to the top it would be another level in terms of respect gained and where it would put him amongst the all time greats. 

Going to Juve would be like going to Celtic. They already have a huge lead over the rivals so the potential for improvement is limited. 

Archived