Can There Only Be 1 RedBull Team In The Champions League

football forum

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
14 minutes ago, Tanksie said:

It's completely different see.

RB Salzburg = Red bull Salzburg, who wear red bull colors, have the logo and play at red bull arena

RB Leipzing = Rassenballsport Leipzig, who wear red bull colors, have the logo and play at red bull arena

See it's completely different!

I was going to ask about this as well.

Why do Salzburg not get as much stick as Leipzig? Is it because the latter are playing in a more popular division? Financial backing bigger at 1 club than the other?

7 minutes ago, Tanksie said:

Salzburg are small time, no one cares about the Austrian first division, and they aren't bazillionaires so it's kind of harmless.

Worst case scenario Salzburg will be the club blocked from playing

That is untrue. If my memory of the rules are correct, than it's the team that finished lower in their respective League. Salzburg is winning the Austrian one, whereas Bayern is winning Germany. If someone is getting left out, rules say that it'll be Leipzig.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Stan said:

I was going to ask about this as well.

Why do Salzburg not get as much stick as Leipzig? Is it because the latter are playing in a more popular division? Financial backing bigger at 1 club than the other?

They do, but Austrian Bundesliga is essentially irrelevant to most outside of Austria, plus RB Salzburg always underperformed in the CL anyway, so nobody gives a shit.

There was a big uproar in Austria when Red Bull arrived. A friend of mine was a fan of the original club, SV Austria Salzburg, who were bought and completely rebranded by RB 12 years ago, and their supporter groups organised plenty of protests and held numerous meetings with RB representatives trying to keep the traditions and legacy of the club at least, but it was a lost fight as RB wanted a completely new club with no history for their franchise, so they formed a fan-owned club with the original name and colours instead and managed to rise from the bottom 7th tier to the 2. tier of Austrian football (sadly they got relegated last year again).

Now Salzburg are really just a farming club for Leipzig.

• Subscriber
13 minutes ago, Tanksie said:

Salzburg are small time, no one cares about the Austrian first division, and they aren't bazillionaires so it's kind of harmless.

Worst case scenario Salzburg will be the club blocked from playing

Worst case scenario both will be allowed to play... 

They'll probably claim that one of the clubs doesn't have significant backing of the 'sponsor' for it to be considered a breach of Article 5.

• Subscriber
Just now, Tanksie said:

I meant worst case from a RB perspective.

Ah ok, misunderstood you there. 

I think if it comes to UEFA actually issuing a ban for one of the RB clubs (which I doubt), we'll see Salzburg "voluntarily" sacrificing their place in the CL, haha. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrator
2 minutes ago, ScoRoss said:

Seems as if they will both be in next season, as they don't technically 'own' the Austrian team.

The list of technicalities will make interesting reading 

• 1 month later...
  • Subscriber

19665445_1513368892049402_19630984624818

Left: new home kit of RB Leipzig
Right: new home kit of Red Bull Salzburg

"Following a thorough investigation, and further to several important governance and structural changes made by the clubs (regarding corporate matters, financing, personnel, sponsorship arrangements, etc.), the CFCB deemed that no individual or legal entity had anymore a decisive influence over more than one club participating in a UEFA club competition." - UEFA

xD Get fucked.

Archived