football forum

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Toinho said:

I don't follow Formula 1 really at all, except keep an eye out for results, but is Ricciardo actually 'good'?

There are no good drivers. Just good teams/cars. What I hate about the sport the most. You could have put 6 or 7 drivers in Hamiltons car last year and they'd have finished top 2 as well. 

11 hours ago, Toinho said:

I don't follow Formula 1 really at all, except keep an eye out for results, but is Ricciardo actually 'good'?

He is a good or even great driver who was at one point tipped to be a future world champion. Super talented for sure, but at least from what we can see it seems that he is really struggling to extract performance from the McLaren car. Some drivers are seemingly able to get he most out of a car no matter how it drives, but Ricciardo appears to be one of those drivers who needs a car to fit his driving style in order for him to flourish.

That said, he showed to possess a lot of talent when he was with Red Bull and with Renault, but no doubt there are people who could do much better with the package he has currently, as his shown by his teammate.

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Panflute said:

He is a good or even great driver who was at one point tipped to be a future world champion. Super talented for sure, but at least from what we can see it seems that he is really struggling to extract performance from the McLaren car. Some drivers are seemingly able to get he most out of a car no matter how it drives, but Ricciardo appears to be one of those drivers who needs a car to fit his driving style in order for him to flourish.

That said, he showed to possess a lot of talent when he was with Red Bull and with Renault, but no doubt there are people who could do much better with the package he has currently, as his shown by his teammate.

I believe his self-professed lack of interest and knowledge of the technical side of the sport is hurting him a lot, especially now with such massive changes to the cars. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

He's one of the top earners in F1. He'd have to take a massive paycut to become a reserve driver anywhere. Granted, that 20+ Mio € he got from McLaren probably keeps him afloat for a while. xD

3 hours ago, Tommy said:

He's one of the top earners in F1. He'd have to take a massive paycut to become a reserve driver anywhere. Granted, that 20+ Mio € he got from McLaren probably keeps him afloat for a while. xD

Given that he's been pretty vocal about wanting to remain in F1 and taking a hiatus if needed, I think there's a possibility he'd settle for a reserve role if it's his only means of staying in F1 during the 2023 season.

Plus, I doubt many teams are willing or even able to give him a top salary after this season.

Archived