talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Barcelona (5) 5-1 (1) Lyon - Wednesday 13th March, 2019

So - with the time change here in the States, I wasn't able to watch this game. 

I didn't want to get embarressed, and it looks like they was the case. Lopes injured? Shit. 

Truth is, with this over, Lyon can focus on their domestic form and not worry about a competition that they weren't going to win anyways. 

Regardless, Well done Lyon on a great showing. :congrats:

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The commentary of this game though:dam: "Only Messi can score a penalty like that" For starters Panenkas are shit, and secondly every twat cunt does them, shame Messi couldn't put a few more pressure penalties away in his career 

And then after Lyon rallied and gave Barca a touch of a scare, and Barca sealed it they rattled on about how Barcelona had 'intentionally given them hope to draw them onto the sword" Fuck off. I'm enjoying Barcelona a lot more these days now the Messi Ronaldo wank fest is over and the pass it til the defence fall asleep football is in the past, but faaaark.

37 minutes ago, Eco said:

You're also biased as can be  - not saying you're wrong, but we all know you love Barca, and that's fine. 

I don't think it's as cut and dry as you say. Ronaldo is miles ahead of Messi, in my opinion, when it comes to international play. Without CR, Portugal are good, but with him they are a top 10 team in the world. You take Messi out of Argentina, and then maybe they'll start Icardi and maybe actually play up to their ability. 

They also have such different skillsets that it's hard to really compare them, but as a leader, I'll take CR over anyone and it's not even close. Just ask Atletico their thoughts. 

Portugal won a final without Ronaldo? 

Argentina got spanked 5-0 against one of the worst Spain sides in a long time and were on the verge of not even qualifying for the WC without Messi

15 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Portugal won a final without Ronaldo? 

Argentina got spanked 5-0 against one of the worst Spain sides in a long time and were on the verge of not even qualifying for the WC without 

Huh? 

Not that I'm aware of, but Ronaldo led Portugal to a Euro.

And in major competitions, Messi hasn't performed as well as CR, at least not that I have seen. 

I respect them both and they are incredible talents...but one is not miles about another with everything considered.

• Administrator

Think we should just appreciate we've been able to watch them both together in their prime for years and years instead of having the same old debate every now and then. 

8 hours ago, Cannabis said:

Said it before but I don't know how there can be a serious Messi/Ronaldo debate. Lionel is absolutely streets ahead and always has been, Cristiano is a phenomenal talent but Messi is quite literally the best there ever has been.

Case closed for me, not even a serious discussion.

MeSsI iS QuITe LiTeRaLly ThE bESt ThEre EvEr hAs BeEn

• The title was changed to Barcelona (5) 5-1 (1) Lyon - Wednesday 13th March, 2019
11 hours ago, Eco said:

Huh? 

Not that I'm aware of, but Ronaldo led Portugal to a Euro.

And in major competitions, Messi hasn't performed as well as CR, at least not that I have seen. 

I respect them both and they are incredible talents...but one is not miles about another with everything considered.

And Messi led Argentina to 3 consecutive finals? So because Ronaldo was fortunate his team bailed him out in the final, means it's more impressive?

That's the argument that will always be refuted. 

7 minutes ago, Cicero said:

And Messi led Argentina to 3 consecutive finals? So because Ronaldo was fortunate his team bailed him out in the final, means it's more impressive?

That's the argument that will always be refuted. 

No - but the Argentina squad is littered with loads of more talent than the Portuguese one. Yet - it's rumored or well known that Messi has a strong say in the squad selection, so players like Icardi won't get their chance even though he's one of their best strikers. That wouldn't so much of a problem at the WC if they hadn't looked so poor UNTIL they played France and actually looked half-decent. 

Argentina making it to finals isn't a surprise, whereas Portugal doing just that is one.  That was my only argument. 

13 minutes ago, Eco said:

No - but the Argentina squad is littered with loads of more talent than the Portuguese one. Yet - it's rumored or well known that Messi has a strong say in the squad selection, so players like Icardi won't get their chance even though he's one of their best strikers. That wouldn't so much of a problem at the WC if they hadn't looked so poor UNTIL they played France and actually looked half-decent. 

Argentina making it to finals isn't a surprise, whereas Portugal doing just that is one.  That was my only argument. 

Again, this Argentina side were on the verge on not even qualifying for the WC until Messi came back from injury. They also just got spanked against Spain and Brasil recently with Messi's absence. Icardi, like the others, were passengers. 

Anyone who's actually watched Argentina this past half a decade can blatantly see how utterly poor they are. Messi carried them. 

Portugal's team was every bit as talented than Argentina's, possibly more so. People are so ignorant of the quality Portugal have and just try to frame things in picture of Messi V Ronaldo. I would say Messi has ultimately disappointed with Argentina so far, though he has had two impressive tournaments with them WC 2014 and Copa 2016. Ronaldo has been more impressive over recent years but neither has really taken a competition totally by storm.

Just now, The Artful Dodger said:

Portugal's team was every bit as talented than Argentina's, possibly more so. People are so ignorant of the quality Portugal have and just try to frame things in picture of Messi V Ronaldo. I would say Messi has ultimately disappointed with Argentina so far, though he has had two impressive tournaments with them WC 2014 and Copa 2016. Ronaldo has been more impressive over recent years but neither has really taken a competition totally by storm.

This is my main point. I think Ronaldo has performed better for country, and Messi (whether it be a product of his teammates at Barca or not) has performed better domestically. 

I can't say either of them are massively better than the other, overall. Just two incredible players that will likely be the best two I'll ever see. 

2 hours ago, Eco said:

They’ve got a great squad on paper - but they’ve had some ridiculous management issues. A side with that quality should be using Messi to give it a real edge, not having Messi carry them like they’re all dogshite. Yet that’s how it’s been for him with Argentina. Then in this last World Cup they were so poorly managed that he couldn’t even carry them.

Portugal on the other hand are a very well coached side. Very organised and disciplined and then have Ronaldo being Ronaldo to supplement that. 

The difference in the way the team play with Coutinho on the field compared to with Dembele is ridiculous. Far better side when the latter starts. He's now out for a month though with a hamstring injury. That's his biggest downfall; the amount of injuries he sustains. Very important player and without him the team are a lot worse currently. Time for Malcom to get a proper run if you ask me.

Messi aside, Arthur was brilliant yesterday and those comparisons to a young Xavi are certainly not far fetched, even though I do hate it when players are compared to past ones usually. You can tell that he was a big fan and admirer of Xavi growing up and in many ways he's more like a Spanish player in his style than a stereotypical Brazilian one. Absolutely perfect fit and it makes you wonder what he will be playing like when he is 25/26 and has all the experience in the world @El Profesor

6 hours ago, The Rebel CRS said:

The difference in the way the team play with Coutinho on the field compared to with Dembele is ridiculous. Far better side when the latter starts. He's now out for a month though with a hamstring injury. That's his biggest downfall; the amount of injuries he sustains. Very important player and without him the team are a lot worse currently. Time for Malcom to get a proper run if you ask me.

Messi aside, Arthur was brilliant yesterday and those comparisons to a young Xavi are certainly not far fetched, even though I do hate it when players are compared to past ones usually. You can tell that he was a big fan and admirer of Xavi growing up and in many ways he's more like a Spanish player in his style than a stereotypical Brazilian one. Absolutely perfect fit and it makes you wonder what he will be playing like when he is 25/26 and has all the experience in the world @El Profesor

Arthur is doing way better in his first season than I thought he´d. The pass to set Suárez up in the 2nd goal against Lyon was a thing of beauty. Great, great player and I really like his attitude. Recently, he apologized to his teammates and in public for attending Neymar´s birthday 2 days before "El Clásico". 

• The topic was unpinned

Archived