talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Bayern Munich (1) 1-3 (3) Liverpool (2nd Leg) - Wednesday 13th March, 2019

Very strange how Liverpool going to a European giant and controlling the game, winning at a canter is being dismissed as 'just above average'. Whereas last week Manchester United were largely outplayed, got a dubious penalty and scraped through against a tinpot no mark club and were treated as if they'd won the whole thing. 

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Very strange how Liverpool going to a European giant and controlling the game, winning at a canter is being dismissed as 'just above average'. Whereas last week Manchester United were largely outplayed, got a dubious penalty and scraped through against a tinpot no mark club and were treated as if they'd won the whole thing. 

I guess it's different expectations. United pulled off an amazing against the odds upset against a side probably in better shape than Bayern are currently. 

PSG on paper have a very formidable side more so than Bayern at the moment. 

9 minutes ago, Harry said:

Fellows reds fans... what dictates who you hope to play in the next draw? 

Easiest matchup? 

Sexiest matchup? 

Grudge match? 

Surely everyone will want the team we beat 5-0 a little over a year a go?

6 minutes ago, Harry said:

Fully agree with this. Really we're just lucky Mane is in such great form right now. Salah and Firmino look a shadow of their former selves at the moment and overall there seems to be so much less pace,  menace and verve in our counter attacks....

Happy we got through but at this point in the season I'm not sure why we still don't look to be in full flight and it concerns me. 

'Shadow of their former selves' makes it sound like they're playing bad, they're not. They both played well last night, in Firmino's case he was much better second half than the first. Salah's ball for Mane's second is brilliant. Salah isn't scoring as much at the moment but he's still causing havoc and Mane is benefiting from that.

Not really sure what you mean by 'not in full flight'. Are you expecting a return to the chaotic and highly entertaining performances for the neutral of 12-18 months ago? If so, I don't think they're coming back. Certainly not on a regular basis. This is a much more controlled Liverpool.

• Administrator
14 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

The win itself (across the tie) was great.

The performance was just above average (I think most Liverpool fans would accept this, also?). They were better than Bayern though which says a lot more about the German club than it does about Liverpool. 

3 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Surely everyone will want the team we beat 5-0 a little over a year a go?

'Shadow of their former selves' makes it sound like they're playing bad, they're not. They both played well last night, in Firmino's case he was much better second half than the first. Salah's ball for Mane's second is brilliant. Salah isn't scoring as much at the moment but he's still causing havoc and Mane is benefiting from that.

Not really sure what you mean by 'not in full flight'. Are you expecting a return to the chaotic and highly entertaining performances for the neutral of 12-18 months ago? If so, I don't think they're coming back. Certainly not on a regular basis. This is a much more controlled Liverpool.

I feel like opponents fear the attack we were last year, rather than playing the attack as we currently are. 

If they realise we're not anywhere near as offensively dangerous as we used to be, and so play with a bit less caution we might be in trouble. 

1 hour ago, Rick said:

I'd like Ajax in the next round, think those would be entertaining games and we would have a very good chance of going through. 

More I think about it though, the more I'm expecting us to be drawn City.

Hope not, id rather meet you in the final and our team bus doesn't fancy another trip to Liverpool :ph34r:

2 hours ago, Harry said:

Fellows reds fans... what dictates who you hope to play in the next draw? 

Easiest matchup? 

Sexiest matchup? 

Grudge match? 

Easiest, with all due respect, would be Porto. 

Sexiest would be City. 

Now that Madrid are out, there isn't really an option of Grudge match. 

But knowing how UEFA works, and I am not a conspiracy drumming person, but I think it will be United, and it will be properly milked by the telly and sponsors. I won't mind that tie. 

12 minutes ago, IgnisExcubitor said:

Easiest, with all due respect, would be Porto. 

Sexiest would be City. 

Now that Madrid are out, there isn't really an option of Grudge match. 

But knowing how UEFA works, and I am not a conspiracy drumming person, but I think it will be United, and it will be properly milked by the telly and sponsors. I won't mind that tie. 

I think Ajax would be sexiest. 

United does seem like the one that would generate the most discussion though and the CL draw does seem to always turn out the ones that create more talking points...

• The title was changed to Bayern Munich (1) 1-3 (3) Liverpool (2nd Leg) - Wednesday 13th March, 2019
3 hours ago, Harry said:

I feel like opponents fear the attack we were last year, rather than playing the attack as we currently are. 

If they realise we're not anywhere near as offensively dangerous as we used to be, and so play with a bit less caution we might be in trouble. 

No doubt opponents feared that attack but I think they fear this team more. They know they're going to get very few chances against us. Liverpool no longer need to have a mad 20/30 minutes to win games like last night. We were in complete control second half.

7 hours ago, The Käiser said:

Funny how tournaments go. Liverpool lose 3 (including red star) and are in quarterfinals. 

Bayern lose 1 and are out

Are there any undefeated teams remaining?  Man city. Barcelona. Spurs only ones I can think of

Man City lost to Lyon. Spurs lost twice in the groups. Barcelona are the only ones undefeated

Caught the second half if this, Mane is so elite what a player. I'd honestly have him above anyone at Liverpool, could play for any team. I actually prefer him over Salah, Salah seems very tunnel visioned at times and all he seems to be to worried about is getting goals. When he finally picked his head up he put it on a plate for the third.

9 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Is the mainstream media really pro-Bayern over there?

In Germany? Absolutely. You can't even watch those football talk shows because all they ever talk about is Bayern. 

• The topic was unpinned

Archived