talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

England World Cup Qualifier vs Kosovo to be played away from Wembley

football forum

Announced by The FA. Tuesday 10th September 2019, venue yet to be decided. 

We’ve had games in Leicester, Sunderland and Leeds in the last couple of years. I reckon we’ll go North West or Southern based. I fancy the Etihad or Old Trafford if they go NW or possibly somewhere like St Mary’s if they go southern. 

Shame it’s a Tuesday night, I quite fancied it but not sure I can justify two days off work. 

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
12 minutes ago, Stan said:

Reckon it could be Frank Lampard's Derby's stadium. 

Corrected - because that is how it would be billed. "England to play match at home of Frank Lampard's Derby"

11 minutes ago, Stan said:

Reckon it could be Derby's stadium. 

You heard something? The Midlands has had England, so I would guess (based off nothing) that we’d try and move it around a bit and having had games in the North East, Yorkshire and the Midlands, we’d go elsewhere. If moving England around the country is the plan, rather than them essentially being a London based team, I’d guess they’d move them to somewhere they’ve not been for a while and having been to Leicester, I’d be surprised to see them at Derby so soon after. 

• Administrator
13 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

You heard something? The Midlands has had England, so I would guess (based off nothing) that we’d try and move it around a bit and having had games in the North East, Yorkshire and the Midlands, we’d go elsewhere. If moving England around the country is the plan, rather than them essentially being a London based team, I’d guess they’d move them to somewhere they’ve not been for a while and having been to Leicester, I’d be surprised to see them at Derby so soon after. 

Nope, just purely a guess but it's a similar stadium to ours and so therefore would have facilities/preparations ready for an England game I'd imagine. 

Agree that if the plan is to move games around the country then Midlands isn't that high up on the list any more until other regions are visited. 

If it's North East I wonder if Anfield would get a game. Old Trafford obviously already has lots of experience in handling International games. Same with Etihad which is new. 

If it's South, there's not as much choice but maybe Brighton?

1 minute ago, Stan said:

Nope, just purely a guess but it's a similar stadium to ours and so therefore would have facilities/preparations ready for an England game I'd imagine. 

Agree that if the plan is to move games around the country then Midlands isn't that high up on the list any more until other regions are visited. 

If it's North East I wonder if Anfield would get a game. Old Trafford obviously already has lots of experience in handling International games. Same with Etihad which is new. 

If it's South, there's not as much choice but maybe Brighton?

Wouldn’t bother with Liverpool for the whole weird “Scouse not English” spiel they come out with. 

I think the Etihad wouldn’t be a bad shout. Very good size, only been used for an England game once or twice from memory (that weird tournament with Iceland and Japan before Euro 2004) and in a big city. Old Trafford was essentially an unofficial home during the Wembley re-build years, so I wouldn’t bother with that. 

Brighton or Southampton from the south, I suppose. 

Whilst it will never happen, it should be the done thing for every domestic England match that isn't either a decider or guaranteed sell-out. St James' Park, Elland Road, the Etihad, Villa Park, City Ground, St Mary's, hell you could even have Ashton Gate or Portman Road for u21 stuff if you want to get a real spread. Centring the entire job on Wembley is great for the folklore and legend of the place but does nowt for making the national team national. Must be shit if you're a die hard football obsessed youngster up in the North East or way out South West and the closest you ever get to watching your national heroes play is on TV. Would really help reconnect the national team to the wider masses, especially capitalising on the events last summer.

I’m a bit ambivalent to this. Whilst I think it’s great that we’re taking games away from London and truly becoming a national team again, I do have feelings that we should maybe stick to just friendlies being moved.

That said, I can’t imagine that a game against Kosovo on a Tuesday night is going to sell 90,000 seats, so taking a game to a stadium where it holds 30,000-60,000 and with the novelty factor of England in a “different” city, we may get a sell-out, so it probably works out financially. 

• 1 month later...
  • Administrator

Southampton.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48116822

England will play their Euro 2020 qualifying game against Kosovo at Southampton's St Mary's Stadium.

The Group A match, which takes place on 10 September (19:45 BST) will be the first time the two nations have met.

It will also be England's first home game away from Wembley since beating Switzerland at Leicester's King Power Stadium on 11 September 2018.

Gareth Southgate's team beat the Czech Republic 5-0 at home before winning 5-1 in Montenegro to lead Group A.

Kosovo have played one group game which ended in a 1-1 home draw with Bulgaria.

Southampton moved to St Mary's Stadium, a 32,000-capacity venue, in 2001 from The Dell.

Archived