football forum

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
1 hour ago, Smiley Culture said:

Announced tomorrow. 

Declan Rice to get in? 

Would make a mockery of there being so much fuss to change his nationality only for him to miss out xD 

He's been playing fairly well anyway so could warrant a call-up.

Goal-keepers:
Pickford
Heaton
Butland

Defenders
Trippier
Alexander-Arnold
Maguire
Smalling
Jones
Gomez
Chilwell
Shaw

Midfielders
Sterling
Loftus-Cheek
Dier
Henderson
Lingard
Barkley
Maddison (?)
Winks

Forwards
Kane
Rashford
Sancho
Wilson

If it's still 23-man squads I'd go with that. I think Alli has only just come back from injury so may not be called up? If he is fit enough, I'd have him in instead of Barkley/Dier. 

Not sure what other strikers could be called up if Wilson isn't fit enough. Perhaps Sterling could be classed as a forward and then 2 midfielders can be chosen out of Alli/Barkley/Dier. 

Dier makes the team because he can play centre back and centre mid imo.

Pickford

Gomez - Dier - Maguire

TAA ------------------------------------- Chilwell

Winks - Henderson

Sancho -------------------------- Sterling

Kane

• Administrator
22 minutes ago, Danny said:

Dier makes the team because he can play centre back and centre mid imo.

Pickford

Gomez - Dier - Maguire

TAA ------------------------------------- Chilwell

Winks - Henderson

Sancho -------------------------- Sterling

Kane

I'd play Shaw over Chilwell, personally. Shaw has performed better in recent weeks.

But there's flexibility there, at least. 

• Administrator

Squad announced

Goal-keepers
Butland
Heaton
Pickford

Defenders
Alexander-Arnold
Keane
Maguire
Rose
Shaw
Stones
Tarkowski
Trippier
Walker
Chilwell

MIdfielders
Alli
Dier
Barkley
Delph
Henderson
Loftus-Cheek
Rice

Forwards
Rashford
Kane
Wilson
Sterling
Sancho

• Administrator
Just now, Smiley Culture said:

As you’d expect really. 

Thought Wan-Bissaka would warrant a call-up. Been better than Trippier.

Not sure why 3 LBs/LWBs are needed either.

12 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Hope Pickford gets dropped and he gives his head a wobble. We're not in a position to do it but England are.

I think if Angus Gunn had been picked over Heaton or Butland, that'd be more likely. But I don't think Heaton's in great form and I'm hesitant to start Butland while he's in the championship.

1 hour ago, Stan said:

Thought Wan-Bissaka would warrant a call-up. Been better than Trippier.

Not sure why 3 LBs/LWBs are needed either.

I’m not hugely surprised by that. Southgate seems to rate Trippier and I think he usually plays pretty well for England. 

I see Pickford’s now just going to be hounded and scrutinised till he crumbles under the pressure and looks scared of his own shadow. Think it’s bollocks to be honest. The media cannot get away with abusing Raheem Sterling anymore because people have started calling them out on it, so they’ve made a new target and it appears to be Pickford. 

Pickford plays in a dire Everton side under a dire manager, who simply cannot organise a defence, meaning Pickford is going to be under more pressure and strain. He’s also not had a proper break since maybe 2015, he was at the World Cup last summer for the best part of six weeks, played in the U21 Euros and 2016 Toulon tournament. The poor fucker must be knackered. 

• Administrator

Loftus-Cheek, Stones and Delph out due to injury.

On 14/03/2019 at 21:41, Salford Kel said:

How's James Ward-Prowse not in? 

Has now been called up due to above players pulling out. 

• Subscriber

Callum Hudson-Odoi: Chelsea winger called up to England squad from Under-21s

Chelsea winger Callum Hudson-Odoi has been called up to the England squad for the first time for the Euro 2020 qualifiers against the Czech Republic and Montenegro.

The 18-year-old was due to be part of the England Under-21 squad.

Hudson-Odoi has made 19 appearances for Chelsea this season but is yet to start a Premier League game...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47617031

• Subscriber

I don't get the huge clamour for Maddison to come in. Too much over-reaction to one performance at the weekend. I think he's got the talent for sure but he's not really performed well enough to warrant an England call up.

I said when we signed him though I think he'll be better next season than this season.

11 hours ago, Dan said:

I don't get the huge clamour for Maddison to come in. Too much over-reaction to one performance at the weekend. I think he's got the talent for sure but he's not really performed well enough to warrant an England call up.

I said when we signed him though I think he'll be better next season than this season.

I think people like seeing a technical player but agree don’t think Maddison is all that, just young and has finesse 

• Subscriber

Callum Hudson-Odoi: Chelsea winger called up to England squad from Under-21s

Chelsea winger Callum Hudson-Odoi - who is yet to start a Premier League game - says he is "shocked" to have received his first England call-up.

The 18-year-old was brought into the England squad on Monday for the upcoming Euro 2020 qualifiers against the Czech Republic and Montenegro.

He has played 19 games for Chelsea this season, scoring five times.

"It's been a crazy experience but I'm delighted," Hudson-Odoi said. "I thought the manager was joking."

He was with England's Under-21 squad, having received his first call-up at that level last week when he was told he was being promoted to the senior squad by U21 manager Aidy Boothroyd.

"I was shocked and then when I heard that I actually had to go over, I couldn't believe it," Hudson-Odoi added.

"I was delighted. It's a dream come true. Now I've got to work hard, enjoy every moment and keep working to just hopefully make an impact when I get the opportunity."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47617031

_106078049_england.jpg

download.thumb.png.8178f80469379e6ba3e25557ac97e09b.png

• Subscriber

First call up to Under-21's last week for Hudson-Odoi and now a call up to the first team. Really not sure what to think but if Maddison hasn't proven himself worthy, Hudson-Odoi definitely hasn't.

I think there’s a plethora of players in that squad in a similar position, mould, playing style to Maddison and I’m not sure why we’d need another. Would have quite liked to have seen a CM come in, but I am struggling to think of anyone worthy. 

I had a feeling Hudson-Odoi would be in this squad for some reason. He’s not done anything to warrant a call-up but we’re now living in times where we have a smaller player pool than the past and you almost don’t have to do as much to get a call-up. 

• Subscriber
5 hours ago, Danny said:

I think people like seeing a technical player but agree don’t think Maddison is all that, just young and has finesse 

I do think he's got the talent to play for England but I'm not keen on having him called up yet. I want him to kick on more for us before he gets that kind of reward. He hasn't really earned it yet for me.

Archived