talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

League One 2018/19 - Promotion & Relegation Chat

football forum

With there being less than 10 games remaining this year, it's time for the promotion and relegation battles to really increase the pressure. 

Each week, I'll be breaking down all teams within 3 points of the Last Automatic Promotion Spot, Last spot for the Promotion Play-offs, and those within 5 points of the relegation zone. 

Right now - Here are teams fighting for promotion. 

1 Luton Town (79 pts)
2 Barnsley (74 pts)
---
3 Sunderland (70 pts)
4 Portsmouth (68 pts)
5 Charlton Athletic (66 pts)
6 Doncaster Rovers (56 pts)

---
7 Peterborough United (55pts)
8 Blackpool (53 pts)
9 Coventry City (53 pts)

And now, it's time to talk about the teams that are fighting to stay in the league. Same as before, I'll only list those teams which are within 3 points on the drop zone, which is a lot of teams. 

16 Bristol Rovers (43 pts)
17 Gillingham (43 pts)
18 Southend United (42 pts)
19 Walsall (42 pts)
20 Shrewsbury Town (40 pts)

---
21 Oxford United (40 pts)
22 Rochdale (38 pts)
23 Bradford City (36 pts)
24 AFC Wimbledon (36 pts)

So here is a breakdown of this weekend's matches between these teams - 

15/03
Doncaster Rovers vs Barnsley

16/03
Accrington Stanley vs Rochdale
Bristol Rovers vs Charlton Athletic

Burton Albion vs Blackpool
Luton Town vs Gillingham
Oxford United vs Bradford City
Peterborough United vs Coventry City
Portsmouth vs Scunthrope United
Shrewsbury Town vs Wycombe Wanderers

Southend United vs AFC Wimbledon
Sunderland vs Walsall

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice colours @Eco

For me, Luton are the best team in the division and have had to contend with losing a manager half-way through, who has played a huge part in putting them where they are. And it still hasn't destabilized them. 

Especially considering where they have come from. Minus 30pts deductions, brink of folding, 5 years in non-league and have gradually worked their way up. They deserve promotion.

They score for fun, play with little fear and I like that.

Hope Pompey come up with them too, but I fear they just aren't quite there yet. I don't think Kenny Jackett is the best man for the job and his football is dire. 2nd half of the season they have been found out a little which has seen them drop from long time leaders to 4th but with a bit of luck, they may win the playoffs.

4 hours ago, Lucas said:

Nice colours @Eco

For me, Luton are the best team in the division and have had to contend with losing a manager half-way through, who has played a huge part in putting them where they are. And it still hasn't destabilized them. 

Especially considering where they have come from. Minus 30pts deductions, brink of folding, 5 years in non-league and have gradually worked their way up. They deserve promotion.

They score for fun, play with little fear and I like that.

Hope Pompey come up with them too, but I fear they just aren't quite there yet. I don't think Kenny Jackett is the best man for the job and his football is dire. 2nd half of the season they have been found out a little which has seen them drop from long time leaders to 4th but with a bit of luck, they may win the playoffs.

Yeah - I remember talking about my preseason favorites for Automatic Promotion, and it was (in order) Sunderland, Barnsley, and Portsmouth. I guess I just thought Luton would be out of their league here as I still think of them as a fun non-league side to watch, but this year they have been incredibly fun to watch and derservedly are at the top of the table. 

Perfect world would be for Pompey to grab an automatic spot, and then Barnsley beats Sunderland in the playoffs to join Luton and Pompey. 

• Administrator
48 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Luton in the Championship would blow my mind, where have they come from honestly. 

You know they've been there before right xD ?

They’ll all be in the Football League next season, whether they get relegated or survive. 

That league is a weird one. It’s the real definition of the “if you win a few in a row, you’re right up there but if you lose a few in a row, you’re looking over your shoulder.”  

• Administrator
36 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

They’ll all be in the Football League next season, whether they get relegated or survive. 

That league is a weird one. It’s the real definition of the “if you win a few in a row, you’re right up there but if you lose a few in a row, you’re looking over your shoulder.”  

Yeah I had a mare there, thought it was League Two xD 

Alright - with week 38 in the books (outside of 4 teams), we are almost completed with this year's campaign in League One (@Stan, please note this is NOT League Two).

With the top two teams in the league both getting draws this past weekend, here are the current standings, with those teams included that are within 3 points of that coveted 6th and final playoff position. 

Note: teams with the '*", signify those that have played less matches. 

1. Luton Town (80 pts)
2. Barnsley (75 pts)

---
3. Sunderland* (73 pts)
4. Portsmouth (71 pts)
5. Charlton Athletic (67 pts)
6. Doncaster Rovers* (57 pts)

---
7. Coventry City (56 pts)
8. Peterborough United (55 pts)

Now, the real story of this year is surely the amount of teams that are in position to potentially go down this year. Down to League Two that is @Stan, not to non-league football. 

12. Plymouth Argyle (45 pts)
13. Bristol Rovers* (44 pts)
14. Wycombe Wanderers (44 pts)
15. Accrington Stanley (44 pts)
16. Gillingham (44 pts)
17. Scunthrope United (44 pts)
18. Shrewsbury Town (43 pts)
19. Oxford United (43 pts)
20. Southend United (42 pts)

---
21. Walsall (42 pts)
22. AFC Wimbledon (39 pts)
23. Rochdale (38 pts)
24. Bradford City (36 pts
)

Whew! So without further ado, here is the upcoming weekend of fixtures and those teams involved in a race (which is all teams BUT 3 teams :ph34r:)

Saturday 23rd March, 2019
Walsall vs Barnsley
AFC Wimbledon vs Gillingham
Bradford City vs Blackpool
Burton Albion vs Accrington Stanley
Coventry City vs Oxford United
Luton Town vs Doncaster Rovers
Peterborough United vs Southend United
Plymouth Argyle vs Bristol Rovers
Rochdale vs Scuthrope United
Shrewsbury Town vs Portsmouth

Tuesday 26th March, 2019
Doncaster Rovers vs Bristol Rovers

• Subscriber

Barnsley haven't conceded a goal in 7 games. Sheff Utd have done exactly this in the Championship too.

Luton have been exceptional. How the hell are they this good?

• 4 weeks later...

So - it's been awhile, but here we are, as we approaching week 43 out of 46 of this year's League One campaign. 

Here are the current promotion hopefuls, and remember you must be within 3 points of the coveted 6th spot to be on this list, and it you get a *, that means you have played less matches. 

1. LUTON (87 pts)
2. BARNSLEY (82 pts)

-----
3. SUNDERLAND* (80 pts)
4. PORTSMOUTH* (80 pts)
5. CHARLTON ATHLETIC (79 pts)
6. DONCASTER ROVERS (69 pts)
----
7. PETERBOROUGH UNITED* (64 pts)

So there you have it. I did add Peterborough because of that game in hand, but if they don't win, then the teams in the promotion race will be pretty much set in terms of which teams make it. 

Now, on the bottom half, there has been some separation, but it's still a wild, wild race. 

17. WYCOMBE WANDERS (47 pts)
18. PLYMOUTH ARGYLE (47 pts)
19. SCUTHROPE UNITED (45 pts)
20. ROCHDALE (45pts)

---
21. AFC WIMBLEDON (44 pts)
22. SOUTHEND UNITED (43 pts)
23. WALSALL (42 pts)
24. BRADFORD CITY (36 pts)

So, looking ahead to the upcoming weekend of fixtures, here is how it plays out - 

Coventry City vs BRADFORD CITY
Oxford United vs CHARLTON ATHLETIC
AFC WIMBLEDON vs Bristol Rovers
BARNSLEY vs Shrewsbury Town
Burton Albion vs 
PORTSMOUTH
Fleetwood Town vs PETERBOROUGH UNITED
Gillingham vs PLYMOUTH ARGYLE
ROCHDALE vs WYCOMBE
SCUNTHROPE 
vs Blackpool
WALSALL vs SOUTHEND UNITED