talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Red Bull Racing & Alpha Tauri Chat

football forum

• Subscriber

So so happy for Alex. I actually think it's a great move by Red Bull;  putting him in the car for the rest of the season gives them a great opportunity to evaluate him instead of potentially taking a risk and signing him for a full season. It's a massive, massive opportunity for Alex as well; he doesn't have to challenge Max and nobody is expecting him to, he just has to perform better than Gasly did - so basically just needs to deliver solid points by finishing at least P6 ahead of slower midfield cars. I think he'll take his chance too; he's very strong mentally and has already shown that he's able to adapt quickly and seize the opportunity when it presents itself. Just a few months ago he had absolutely no chance of a career in F1, no sponsorship money to keep on driving in F2, had already signed to drive in Formula E, and there he is now, switching to a top F1 team mid-season as a rookie. I think he definitely knows what's at stake here and I might be in the minority here but I am sure he's strong enough - both mentally and as a driver - to make the best out of it. 

Also it doesn't surprise me one bit that Red Bull are putting Albon in the car instead of Kvyat for the rest of the season. They already know all they need about Kvyat whereas Alex still is a bit of enigma and this is a perfect chance to compare all of their drivers in order to make an informed decision for 2020. If Albon performs better than Gasly did, he should get the seat next year. If he performs at the same level as Gasly did, Red Bull will know they have to look for another driver for next season. Gasly was miserably slow in a Red Bull, Kvyat wasn't convincingly beating Albon in a Toro Rosso despite having 4-5 years more experience in F1; it will be very interesting to see how they do against each other now. 

Also two of my favourite drivers in one team, love it! :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber
10 minutes ago, Eco said:

Do you think the Honda engine has been an upgrade or RB? 

Yes. Absolutely wipes the floor with Renault reliability-wise and is very close or even equal in terms of power with more upgrades in sight. A much better overall package and also a much better works partnership and support where everyone is extremely dedicated to the cause. Red Bull definitely made the right call long-term imo.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber

The Honda engine appears to be really driveable, by that I mean functional in the acceleration/traction/torque package. Red Bull seem to be the strongest in the field in low speed sections which speaks to a good package in their engine's acceleration (and downforce and mechanical grip) even if they're still catching up a bit in the horsepower department.

• Subscriber

There is a chance that Spec 4 power unit could be introduced in Spa already as the development has been very good and Honda are almost finished with it; that's reportedly 25HP extra  and it's allegedly the gap to Mercedes' current specification. Hope it happens in Spa indeed as that's a good track to take the penalties; would still have a chance to finish high and then continue with a new spec in Monza with no penalties. Really looking forward to it. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Should just have talked about the impressive race that he had himself instead of pissing on a fellow driver's and ex-teammate's parade tbf. Just comes across as extremely salty.

Not to forget he has about 5 years more experience in F1 compared to Alex who has just been put in a completely new car mid-season in his rookie year.

• Subscriber
10 minutes ago, Tommy said:

To be fair, he's not entirely wrong. Albon made some impressive overtakes (in a Red Bull!), but all in all it was good but not extra special. Quite underwhelming in the first stages of the race. 

And that's what Alex admitted himself after the race saying that his first stint on mediums was poor but he really came alive once he pitted and got the softs. I think he did well in his first race in a new team in a new car especially given the fact that he's a rookie and that he only had three practice sessions in that car in the first place. The fact that he's mature enough to know his shortcomings and admit his mistakes instead of looking for excuses is very refreshing as well. It's not like people are saying Albon had a phenomenal race either; they are praising him for a good debut with some courageous moves and doing exactly what was expected from him. 

It just seems a bit weird that Kvyat feels the need to downplay Albon's debut and put him down. Not very classy imo.

36 minutes ago, nudge said:

It just seems a bit weird that Kvyat feels the need to downplay Albon's debut and put him down. Not very classy imo.

He's a huge Game of Thrones fan. Probably playing the Littlefinger role now. Chaos is a ladder! It must be some sort of mind games surely. But knowing Albon and his character, he won't be too phased by it. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 28/09/2019 at 16:57, nudge said:

Toro Rosso with a name change next season :o 

Will be called AlphaTauri and will change the color scheme to black & white :o 

alphatauri.png

Reminds me of the limited edition coconut red bull summer can. 

I'm quite conflicted by it actually.

I don't really like coconut, but it certainly tastes better than the standard stuff. 

That reminds me, gotta try the new limited edition orange flavour 

• Haha 1

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, Tommy said:

:o

This was planned for a long time and he's been preparing for it during the summer in the simulator :) Yamamoto is a class driver but it's just a nice gesture and nothing else...