talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Red Bull Racing & Alpha Tauri Chat

football forum

• Subscriber

Alex had a decent race on Sunday, but it's hard to see him overcoming the gulf between himself and Max. It seems that the car is really geared towards Verstappen and both Gasly and Albon don't seem to require the same sorts of things from the car as he does.

They're in a really difficult spot when it comes to that second seat now. The damage done to Gasly's career by promoting him too early could be irreparable in terms of him becoming a top level driver. I think he has shown enough in the junior team to earn a few more years at other midfield teams but I can't see him making it at Red Bull. Nobody knows if it would have been any different if he'd had more time to find his feet in the Toro Rosso but the move really came at the wrong time for him. Albon's honeymoon period has worn off and there's a real worry looking at the first few races that things could go the same way with him and I really think he has significant talent and could become a potential top level driver, not of Max's standard but good enough to be a solid number two. I worry about what it will do to him if they decide he isn't cutting the mustard right now and he has to take a step back like Gasly.

Hindsight is obviously 20/20 but I think the ideal scenario right now would be for them to have Gasly and Albon in the junior team together with Kvyat leaving the stable and an established driver next to Verstappen to pick up solid points and podiums. Where do you guys think it'll go over the next year or two?

• Subscriber

Red Bull need to sort out the car first and foremost, that's the top priority now. It's impossible to judge him based on his performances in RB16 as it is barely drivable. Once they solve balance/stability issues, it might be a completely different picture (I hope...). At any case, I think in order to keep his seat long term, Albon will have to regularly be just a few tenths within Max in order for RB to be able to threaten Mercedes in terms of strategy (and pick up points for the team). Can he do it? I'm not sure, but I'm not confident he can.

I agree that Red Bull should probably get a solid experienced driver for that second seat and let their youngsters develop properly until they are ready for it. Although I'm not sure who would be a good choice. Vettel? Hülkenberg? Or even someone like Magnussen? 

• Subscriber

I think Vettel would be a problem. Sainz would be ideal. Hulkenberg would probably have been a good option but it's hard to say whether he still would be after a year out. You've got to say if Perez could be getting the boot from Racing Point in favour of Vettel then surely he'd be worth a phone call?

• Subscriber
16 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

I think Vettel would be a problem. Sainz would be ideal. Hulkenberg would probably have been a good option but it's hard to say whether he still would be after a year out. You've got to say if Perez could be getting the boot from Racing Point in favour of Vettel then surely he'd be worth a phone call?

Perez is a weird one, solid driver but apparently has (or at least used to have) an attitude that doesn't bode well with the crew or anyone else in the team. If he got that sorted, then I definitely see him as a good option for RB.

• Subscriber
Just now, nudge said:

Perez is a weird one, solid driver but apparently has (or at least used to have) an attitude that doesn't bode well with the crew or anyone else in the team. If he got that sorted, then I definitely see him as a good option for RB.

Yeah, I see him as a safe pair of hands though and as he'd clearly not be leading the team maybe the relationship with the mechanics is not that important? Anyway, it's all hypothetical now. I think they'll regret the way they've managed Gasly and Albon though and they really need to see the next one coming through because Kvyat is currently sat in the second team and they already know he isn't cut out for the top table.

I remain surprised that they haven't made an effort to get Sainz back into their system but it's too late now. They were really shafted with timing because he sort of had to make his own way with Verstappen and Ricciardo locking down the senior team for what everyone thought was going to be several more years. He was ready to move on from Toro Rosso.

I still think Hulkenberg is a real shout though if he's staying sharp. Again with hindsight it might have been the perfect time to put him in the car when they dropped Gasly. Two years ago, Nico beat Sainz pretty handily in the Renault team if I remember correctly, and he didn't stack up too badly against Ricciardo last year, who himself kept Max Verstappen honest more often than not when they were team-mates. Overall I guess you can't blame them for sticking to their philosophy and giving opportunities to their own talent.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, RandoEFC said:

Yeah, I see him as a safe pair of hands though and as he'd clearly not be leading the team maybe the relationship with the mechanics is not that important? Anyway, it's all hypothetical now. I think they'll regret the way they've managed Gasly and Albon though and they really need to see the next one coming through because Kvyat is currently sat in the second team and they already know he isn't cut out for the top table.

I remain surprised that they haven't made an effort to get Sainz back into their system but it's too late now. They were really shafted with timing because he sort of had to make his own way with Verstappen and Ricciardo locking down the senior team for what everyone thought was going to be several more years. He was ready to move on from Toro Rosso.

I still think Hulkenberg is a real shout though if he's staying sharp. Again with hindsight it might have been the perfect time to put him in the car when they dropped Gasly. Two years ago, Nico beat Sainz pretty handily in the Renault team if I remember correctly, and he didn't stack up too badly against Ricciardo last year, who himself kept Max Verstappen honest more often than not when they were team-mates. Overall I guess you can't blame them for sticking to their philosophy and giving opportunities to their own talent.

Yes, maybe he also grew up and improved on those aspects of his personality; doesn't look like there are any problems related to his attitude in Racing Point, anyway. Would definitely be a good option for Red Bull.

I also agree Hülkenberg would have been the perfect choice. But RB just seem stubborn, don't think they'll swallow their pride and sign any "outsider",  unless it's their former driver. Not many choices for them though, Vips and Tsunoda are the next in line but both still nowhere near being good enough for a Red Bull seat at the moment, nevermind the lack of superlicence points. Just fucking hope they don't go for Ticktum again.

• Subscriber
9 minutes ago, Eco said:

Is it too late for them go after Danny? Certainly Danny would rather be back at RB than at McLaren, but I'm not sure the punishments for these signed contracts. 

Ricciardo? I'm sure that ship has sailed already;I believe he's not willing to play second fiddle. His contract with Renault made him one of the best paid drivers on the grid, and while he's taking a pay cut to join McLaren, there's apparently agreements in place that will make him the preferred driver in the team. 

21 minutes ago, nudge said:

Ricciardo? I'm sure that ship has sailed already;I believe he's not willing to play second fiddle. His contract with Renault made him one of the best paid drivers on the grid, and while he's taking a pay cut to join McLaren, there's apparently agreements in place that will make him the preferred driver in the team. 

Yeah - it is a dream scenario, not reality. xD

9 hours ago, nudge said:

Source? First time I've heard of this. 

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Tommy said:

Source? First time I've heard of this. 

Peter Mücke and Jo Ramirez. There were also reports from Sauber saying the same thing - cocky, unprofessional, not a team player, and that didn't make him popular with the team. 

I'll look for actual links later when I'm not on the phone...

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, nudge said:

Peter Mücke and Jo Ramirez. There were also reports from Sauber saying the same thing - cocky, unprofessional, not a team player, and that didn't make him popular with the team. 

I'll look for actual links later when I'm not on the phone...

Huh, interesting. Didn't know that. 

• Subscriber

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Subscriber

Interview with Dr. Marko. Very interesting read. 

https://f1-insider.com/en/formula1/marko-own-engine-and-hulkenberg-a-topic/

A short summary of most interesting things:

- RB are most likely to take over Honda's IP and build the engine themselves. 

- 3 out of 4 seats next season are pretty much decided - Gasly & Tsunoda for AT, Max for RB. Albon's future uncertain, they are also considering Hülkenberg and Perez. Want to make the decision after Turkish GP. 

- Hülkenberg almost drove for RB this weekend, as Albon had an inconclusive corona test result. 

- Mick Schumacher is set to drive for Sauber. Almost made his F1 debut this weekend as Giovinazzi's corona test was also inconclusive. 

• Wow 1

• Administrator

I feel for Albon as it's obviously been a very tough transition but if RB want to maintain their competitiveness, then Perez or Hulk would actually be a decent shout. More experience, more competition for Max to stay up there and challenge Mercedes, and generally better for the sport to watch having more competitive drivers.