talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Red Bull Racing & Alpha Tauri Chat

football forum

• Subscriber

“Pierre is having a tough time at the moment, we’re doing our best to support him, I think he just needs a reset,” said Horner.

“I think we have got to somehow go ‘control alt delete’ in his head and start again.

“He is a quick driver. The problem he has got is that Max is delivering every week, and that puts more pressure on him to perform, but we’re sticking by him.

“We still believe in him and we’ll give him all the support we can to try and nurture the talent we know he has.”

Red Bull, and sister team Toro Rosso, has previously demoted or dropped drivers struggling for form, but Horner has stressed that such a scenario is not under consideration regarding Gasly.

“There is no intention to change Pierre,” said Horner.

“He’s our driver, we’re going to work with him, we will try to get the best out of him.

“He’s having a tough time at the moment but we will do our best to support him through it.”

https://www.motorsportweek.com/news/id/23490?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Seems they still believe in him!

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, nudge said:

I really didn't expect him to underperform like that. He's not a bad driver, as he showed in the Toro Rosso, so what's the issue? Pressure? Was the car designed to specifically favour Max's style of racing which doesn't suit Pierre? Sure, Max is an incredible talent, but the gap is just too much. 

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Tommy said:

I really didn't expect him to underperform like that. He's not a bad driver, as he showed in the Toro Rosso, so what's the issue? Pressure? Was the car designed to specifically favour Max's style of racing which doesn't suit Pierre? Sure, Max is an incredible talent, but the gap is just too much. 

Maybe it's a bit of both? A part of if is definitely in his head due to pressure and expectations but I found the quote in that article about Gasly and his engineers experimenting with different setups previously and jumping from one extreme to the other very interesting as well; could be an indication that his driving style is not suited for this current RB15 and he hasn't been able to adapt and change his style accordingly so far? 

• Subscriber
48 minutes ago, Tommy said:

All of the above. I'd expect him to be around half a second off Max and gradually close in. The rest of the gap is down to it being too soon to deal with the pressure mentally in my opinion and possibly a few technical things like not being suited to this year's car/tyres.

Maybe the Red Bull is hard to adapt to which is giving Max a further head start. Remember Fisichella getting pole position for Force India in 2009 then being 2 seconds off Raikkonen when Ferrari drafted in because that car had an insane learning curve? That shouldn't be the case here though as the Toro Rosso should be pretty similar to the Red Bull.

• Subscriber

Only 0.183s behind pole is very encouraging; especially on a relatively long lap and on a power track such as Silverstone. Last year the gap to P1 was 0.7s so it's a great improvement by Red Bull & Honda. Max was complaining about a turbo lag as well, so it's likely that there's even more to get out of the car... Race pace looked very good during the training sessions so it can get interesting tomorrow! Hope to see Max on the podium. 

Gasly improved as well; only a bit over three tenths behind Max and both of the cars starting between the two Ferraris could be helpful for the strategy. 

Albon in P9 is nice too - that's three Honda engines in top 10. 

According to AMuS, Honda is considering introducing its next engine specification before the summer break at the GP of Hungary. The upgrade should bring an extra 25-30 HP. 

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Albon is having a great season, really impressed with him so far. 

I've always been a fan but even I didn't expect him to be doing that well! He seems to be getting stronger with every race as well; very encouraging to see.

To think that he had no sponsors and literally had to beg for a seat at DAMS in F2 last season...finished third and had already agreed to join Nissan at Formula E due to lack of other options this season right before Toro Rosso came knocking. 

• Subscriber

Red Bull broke pit stop world record in Silverstone :o 1.91s; fasted pit stop ever recorded!

And their second best pit stop yesterday was 1.96s :o Incredible; amazing job by the mechanics!

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
4 hours ago, nudge said:

Moved it here to the RB/TR thread...

Honda has been making huge progress and solved their reliability issues; bring a bit more power and qualifying mode and things might get very interesting. Love it!

I agree, first and foremost reliability has to be sorted, Honda had issues with McLaren and RB had it with Renault. Once they get some good straight line speed it could be on. 

Am getting goosebumps. 

• Subscriber
Just now, Stan said:

Would Gasly go to another team if possible? Or is his time in F1 up for the foreseeable future?

Probably back to Toro Rosso to swap with Kvyat or Albon if it's one of those two that take his place, which is what would probably happen.

They don't have too many young drivers waiting for their chance in F1 so they don't want to take Gasly out of the sport, he's shown that he's a talented driver, he just clearly isn't ready for the senior team.

• Subscriber

Another pit stop record...that's two races in a row now as they broke their own record from last race at Silverstone!

1.88s :o 

Brilliant teamwork.

Only 44 points behind Ferrari in constructor standings now. It's a pity Gasly's not up for the task; the gap could be much smaller by now. 

• Subscriber

Gasly v Verstappen quali head to head comparison:

Australia: Gasly out in Q1
Bahrain: Gasly out in Q2
China: +0.841
Baku: Gasly out in Q1
Spain: +0.351
Monaco: +0.6
Canada: Max out in Q2
France: +0.775
Austria: +0.760 + lapped in race
England: +0.314
Germany: +0.409
Hungary: +0.878

• Subscriber

As much as I'm all for giving young drivers time, Gasly is costing Red Bull a lot and it's probably a good time to consider if keeping him at the team is worth it at all. Lapped by his teammate today, can't be used as a part of strategy to hold off other teams as he's just too far behind to be a danger to either Mercedes or Ferrari (or even McLaren today), and just doesn't seem capable of improving.