talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Red Bull Racing & Alpha Tauri Chat

football forum

• Subscriber

Really hope that Honda delivers this year and Red Bull manages to at least properly challenge both Ferrari and Mercedes... Things are looking good with the car performing well in testing without any significant issues, a new update being introduced in Australia already instead of China (Newey seems to be really into it and extremely motivated again). All good signs; and I have a good feeling about this. Come on Max!

Also hoping for Alex Albon to perform well ^_^

• 4 weeks later...
  • Subscriber
1 hour ago, Tommy said:

https://streamable.com/dagu6

He sounds so distraught :( He was also very apologetic and called himself "careless" in an interview during Quali. Good lad. 

Quite a few drivers had problems with that last corner, Alex just couldn't keep the car under control unfortunately :( A bad crash but he'll learn from it. Glad he's ok.

Toro Rossos are looking pretty good otherwise; a good qualifying by Kvyat and he was within just two hundredths of a second from Q3 so it's promising. Let's see what tomorrow brings.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Gasly outside the points today. Not going well for him at all. Can see him getting replaced next year if not before, but who else do Red Bull have? Depends how long it is until Ticktum can get the points for his superlicence I suppose as well.

I think the Honda engine is vastly overrated as well. People have been saying it's a step in the right direction to move from Renault to Honda. It's all propaganda. In Canada all of the Mclarens and Renaults were in the top ten for the speed trap with Red Bull and Toro Rosso nowhere to be seen, and we saw Norris easily outdrag Verstappen on the back straight in a straight fight without slipstream or DRS. This weekend we saw Ricciardo breeze past Gasly on a straight without much trouble either and the Mclarens again looked strong in a straight line.

Honda have definitely developed the power unit to quite an extent but I can't agree with those saying it's up there with the longer serving manufacturers, not yet.

• Subscriber

I think they need to improve both the engine (two more upgrades coming) and the chassis/aero. In fact I'd even say that the chassis is the weakest part of the car at this point. It seems their rear end is unstable so they have to run a bigger rear wing (i.e. more downforce) than they would like to in order to to stabilise it; and they struggle with tyre wear. 

As for Honda v Renault PU comparison: for me it seems that Renault's current PU has better acceleration and "qualification mode" whereas Honda PU has better race pace and more reliability. Long-term I think it was a good decision to switch to Honda. They seem to be playing it safe and developing the engine step by step on a slower pace. Just my personal opinion... 

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Apparently Horner came out and blasted Gasly for his performance today and it's not the first time he's done that. 

Albon has been doing really well with TR, it wouldn't be a shock to see him promoted like Verstappen was a few years ago.

Gasly has gone into the senior team too early, he may have had a chance of surviving there with another year or two of experience at Toro Rosso first but he's been thrown too much into the deep end. Sticking Albon in there would be just as much of a career assassination in my opinion, too soon for him.

• Subscriber

Gasly reached a new low by getting lapped by his teammate today... Also struggled to overtake anyone ahead of him despite the fact that the car was performing better than most of the others in the hot conditions today. Feel sorry for him but I don't think he'll see the season out at Red Bull. 

Nice touch from RB for letting Toyoharu Tanabe to collect the constructor's trophy today; good job by Honda! Very happy for them.

• Subscriber
36 minutes ago, nudge said:

Gasly reached a new low by getting lapped by his teammate today... Also struggled to overtake anyone ahead of him despite the fact that the car was performing better than most of the others in the hot conditions today. Feel sorry for him but I don't think he'll see the season out at Red Bull. 

Nice touch from RB for letting Toyoharu Tanabe to collect the constructor's trophy today; good job by Honda! Very happy for them.

Is Gasly that slow? Hope there nothing sinsister, either he is slow if not somert doesn't add up.

• Subscriber

Gasly isn't that slow. He is significantly slower than Max at this stage in his career but the pressure and everything else associated with moving to a new team under these circumstances is making him perform way below his talent level.

Red Bull need to be careful here as Kvyat was the first one to get promoted to the A team when he wasn't ready and it messed with his career. Gasly is struggling even more than he did and now faces a long road to recovery even if they give him another chance in the Toro Rosso. I think the longer he stays in the Red Bull, the worse it will be for him. Albon and Kvyat aren't ready for the big seat either.

Not everyone can be Vettel or Verstappen. The well is currently running a bit dry in terms of the Red Bull academy. Gasly or Albon could be a solid first team driver for them one day, but until that time comes, they need to consider swallowing their pride and putting a Hulkenberg or a Perez in the car for a year or two. Sainz would actually be the perfect person for them right now as he is performing well for McLaren and is one of their own but the timings didn't work out for them last year for whatever reason.

• Subscriber

Gasly didn't have the same aero package (the new modified front wing and bargeboards) and wasn't given high power modes as Max so that could be part of the explanation. The new package seemed to solve a lot of RB problems by giving the car better balance and more grip so let's see if Gasly can do better once he has the same package. However, getting lapped by your teammate (even if he's a generational talent) despite being ahead of him on Lap 1 is still embarrassing af and won't do him any favours considering that he's already under pressure for performing below par.