talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Who is your favourite movie/TV villain?

football forum

• Subscriber

Because a good villain is usually much more interesting than a good protagonist...

I'll start with...

AN1-268229_R.jpeg

Darth Vader.

Easily the best villain ever for me. He was such a mysterious character in the original trilogy with relatively little screen time in the first movie, but his powerful presence was felt throughout it all and it was terrifying. His imposing figure, all-black costume and cape, expressionless yet intimidating voice, loud mechanical breathing, his ruthlessness, cruelty, calm, slow but deliberate calculated movements, the force choke... The visuals, voiceover and the epic Imperial March starting to play whenever he entered the fray made him the most menacing movie character in an instant.  Then we were given the backstory, the transition from being hailed as the Chosen One to falling to the Dark Side and becoming the most feared creature in the whole galaxy, his hunger for power and finally the redemption... A brilliantly developed nuanced character with incredible depth, complexity and unmatched range of emotions. 

That scene in Rogue One was the most epic and terrifying depiction of a villain ever.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

17-halloween-mask.w1200.h630.jpg

Michael Myers. (1978 & 2018)

"I spent eight years trying to reach him and then another seven trying to keep him locked up because I realized what was living behind that boys eyes was purely, simply, evil."

Halloween brought terror to its viewers unlike anything before, because the 'monster' was a human. An 8 year old boy who one night murdered his older sister. And ever since that moment, he never uttered a word nor had any expression. Blackness. Vastly intelligent and prominent physical attributes that may be a result of his mental state altering his adrenaline, he represents everyone's nightmare of a crazy lunatic escaping a mental hospital. We know nothing of his motive. We know nothing of what triggered him. We know nothing of his end game. What we do know, is his desire to always come home...

• Subscriber

One of my favourite villains in a movie (but not a tv villain as I can't think of one yet) has to be Tuco played by Eli Wallach in The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly or Hans Gruber played by the late, great, Alan Rickman in Die Hard with Bruce Willis 

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, CaaC - John said:

One of my favourite villains in a movie (but not a tv villain as I can't think of one yet) has to be Tuco played by Eli Wallach in The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly or Hans Gruber played by the late, great, Alan Rickman in Die Hard with Bruce Willis 

Good call on Alan Rickman.

I don't see Tuco as a villain myself... Eli Wallach is fantastic and Tuco is a superb character, chaotic and lawless with just the right amount of comic relief but I see him more as an anti-hero than a villain. I'd say Lee van Cleef's Angel Eyes is the main villain of the story but even that's debatable as Leone's characters are all extremely morally skewed...

When it comes to Westerns, Klaus Kinski is the perfect villain for me. Especially in the Great Silence. Also Henry Fonda's character in Once Upon a Time in the West.

• Subscriber

I think Hannibal Lecter deserves a shoutout. Cold, manipulative, cunning, extremely intelligent psychopath/sociopath who enjoys playing a sick game with everyone around him without any apparent motive. So creepy and terrifying. I mean Anthony Hopkins' portrayal of Hannibal Lecter of course.

I'm starting my brains on the best bond villain, and the main villains from TV shows....

Dr No was a prototype. Blofeld too.

On TV though I'm surprised there aren't many springing to mind.... hannibal? Moriarty? Stringer Bell from the wire. The trinity killer in dexter. 

Al swearengen from deadwood is probably my favourite TV character ever but he's more of an antihero than a villain....

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Harry said:

I'm starting my brains on the best bond villain, and the main villains from TV shows....

Dr No was a prototype. Blofeld too.

On TV though I'm surprised there aren't many springing to mind.... hannibal? Moriarty? Stringer Bell from the wire. The trinity killer in dexter. 

Al swearengen from deadwood is probably my favourite TV character ever but he's more of an antihero than a villain....

Ben Linus in LOST. Was definitely my favourite TV villain up until the point where he wasn't a villain anymore haha... but that character development took more than 3 seasons so I guess it still counts.

Gyp Rossetti from the Boardwalk Empire. 

Sylar in Heroes. Absolutely amazing and terrifying in Season 1 until the whole show went completely downhill.

Bricktop He reminded me of Fergie at times. Scary bastard. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT30fcffwYUsayHok0gwkA 

Amy Dunne : I watched Gone Girl when I was engaged to my wife, and I swear it put some doubts in my mind.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQrQhBeY-NuIrTXK6-BDIx

Annie Wilkes Kathy Bates deserved her Oscar for this role. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRxqD_yDTagdKwkNWJ3wqX

Hans Landa : Hated him throughout the movie, which is a compliment. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRxvE2DElbXuQh7Gxon2JM

Cersei I could've named Joffery, Tywin, Petyr, etc but she outlasted them all, and ended up being the biggest villain. 

220px-Cersei_Lannister-Lena_Headey.jpg

Mrs. Mott Rebecca De Mornay did a great job with this character. Evil and hot.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT3W9yLlU86WHMI9I5--BZ

Carl Henderson Creepy villain from an underrated movie, Bedroom Window. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTTCig0GD63wPtPuv4QZop

Jang Kyung-Chul Choi Min-Sik of the Oldboy fame did a great job with this evil, creepy character in I saw the Devil. 

isawdevil.jpg

• Subscriber

11 hours ago, nudge said:

Good call on Alan Rickman.

I remember reading this on Rickman as Gruber and the end scene when he fell out of the building, the look on his face and then I found out why  :rofl:

Little known fact about Alan Rickman in Die Hard: For his character’s death scene he agreed to fall onto an airbag 25 feet (7.62 meters) below on the count of three. Except the director and the stunt people thought they would get a better reaction if they dropped him on the count of “one.” They were right. His face is priceless.

https://gizmodo.com/alan-rickman-fell-for-real-in-die-hard-plus-six-other-f-1666327722

• Subscriber
On 14/03/2019 at 13:56, nudge said:

I think Hannibal Lecter deserves a shoutout. Cold, manipulative, cunning, extremely intelligent psychopath/sociopath who enjoys playing a sick game with everyone around him without any apparent motive. So creepy and terrifying. I mean Anthony Hopkins' portrayal of Hannibal Lecter of course.

I was just about to post this with one big exception; Hannibal the tv series, with of course Mads Mikkelsen. I used to think noone could top Hopkins' job until I watched this series. The series is fantastic if you havent checked it out do so, Ive meaning to go back and watch it again. 

• 2 years later...
  • Subscriber
On 14/03/2019 at 20:56, nudge said:

As I said. This is the one for me. 

Anthony Hopkins is such a fantastic all time great of an actor and Silence of the Lambs is him at his peak. Such an influential and timeless performance. What a film.

Damn I need to rewatch his performances as Hannibal now. 

Some great shouts already but there's a couple I really love.

First one being Kevin Spacey as John Doe in Seven. Kevin Spacey, yeah I know. But let's reflect on the good work.

Se7en-Kevin-Spacey-as-John-Doe.jpg.webp

What I love about this villain is that ultimately, he wins with one of the best movie twists at the time.

For the most part, we don't see him. But with the little screentime he has, he completely steals the show and mesmerises the audience. Spacey is brilliant as the master of deception as we saw with in The Usual Suspects.

He basically gives Brad Pitt and Morgan Freeman the run around all movie before giving himself up and its at this point when he enters that we begin to wonder why. It's all too easy. Something isn't right, but we don't know what.

But this was his plan all along. He knew it would end in one particular way for him but a way in which he could be present to claim victory. He manipulated the whole thing.

And the absolute coldness he portrays in the desert as someone that literally doesn't give a flying fuck is eerily tense.

The second one is probably an all time classic and a little predictable but it has to be Anthony Perkins as Norman Bates.

psycho2-1024x552.jpg

I always think it's far more unnerving and tense when a villain is bat-shit mental, like Bates was, having split personalities, because they are so unpredictable. It's true what they say, the scariest people are the one's we believe to be the nost normal.

For most the movie, you actually feel encouraged to get behind Bates, your made to feel sorry for him as just a bit of a loner with an overruling mother that has wrapped him up in cotton wool from the real world. 

Of course, it's not till at the very end when we see the charade that makes us feel so unsettled, especially the grin at the camera, but I find this horrifyingly sinister because we have been duped all along and don't necessarily expect it from a character portrayed to be fairly nice. And that is extremely sinister.

Archived