talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Annual best league in the world thread

football forum

Tim "shoots from the hips" Sherwood has claimed on the latest The Debate show that the Premier League is now the best league in the world (whilst being paid on Sky Sports, to talk about their flagship product completely unchallenged, who woulda thought it?)

I'd say:

La Liga - Undoubtedly, years of Champions League domination from Real Madrid, Barcelona and in the latter stages Atletico Madrid. Beyond that, years of Europa League domination from Sevilla and Atletico Madrid with regular latter round appearances from other Spanish clubs as well. Spain's top 6/7 consistently outperforming their European counterparts in European competition. I think we can all forget the old "but English teams don't get beaten 5/6/7-0 like the Spanish sides do" after Guardiola has now had his way with England.

Premier League - Where the investment is, two strong sides in Liverpool and City, overachievers in Spurs behind them and a resurgent Man Utd. Recent Europa League success and latter round appearances with United, Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal.

Serie A - I don't think there's a lot between Serie A and Bundesliga at the moment, and tbh don't think there's a lot between the Bundesliga and the Premier League. But because of the competition from the likes of Juve, Napoli and Roma I'd edge it over Bundesliga.

Bundesliga - Dortmund and Bayern have had a bit of a mare in recent European competitions, outside of them there's not much else.

Overall I think all 4 divisions are largely very similar in quality from upper-midtable down and there have been times recently where Bundesliga has probably been second behind La Liga (Bundesliga overall very similar to the Prem, changes depending on what's happening at the top)...but I don't think anyone could say La Liga hasn't been the best for a while now.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

La Liga is the best, but I don't think it's that far ahead of the PL anymore. Barcelona and Real Madrid are a bit weaker than in past years and Atletico has also declined. The PL has done things right in hiring competent managers like Pep, Klopp and Poch for their top clubs. 

Serie A and the Bundesliga don't really have a say but battle it between 3rd and 4th. I've said my piece on the German league and to me Serie A is still ahead by quite a milestone. Ligue 1 5th, it's not as bad a league as some make it out to be.

30 minutes ago, Danny said:

Bundesliga - Dortmund and Bayern have had a bit of a mare in recent European competitions, outside of them there's not much else.

Frankfurt? Well within a shot to kick out Inter tonight. 

• Subscriber

If you're having a debate about what's the best league you should probably define clear cut criteria for evaluation as I have a feeling that otherwise it's too open to interpretation to have a meaningful discussion...

1 minute ago, nudge said:

If you're having a debate about what's the best league you should probably define clear cut criteria for evaluation as I have a feeling that otherwise it's too open to interpretation to have a meaningful discussion...

Don't think I've got the time or patience for that nudge xD This is a Pub style topic...

My clear cut criteria is: which leagues have Liverpool in them?

1.) EPL

2.) Uruguayan Primera Division

3.) The rest of the leagues are all equally shite at this point

• Subscriber
43 minutes ago, Danny said:

Don't think I've got the time or patience for that nudge xD This is a Pub style topic...

Ah in that case:

1. 1. Bundesliga
2. 2. Bundesliga
3. 3. Liga
4. Austrian Bundesliga
5. Regionalliga
6. Thai League 1
7. V.League 1

Carry on xD 

Ah in that case:

1. 1. Bundesliga
2. 2. Bundesliga
3. 3. Liga
4. Austrian Bundesliga
5. Regionalliga
6. Thai League 1
7. V.League 1

Carry on xD 

Missing out there Slovenian PrvaLiga? Bold move.

5 minutes ago, nudge said:

Ah in that case:

1. 1. Bundesliga
2. 2. Bundesliga
3. 3. Liga
4. Austrian Bundesliga
5. Regionalliga
6. Thai League 1
7. V.League 1

Carry on xD 

Peruvian Liga 1

In terms of overall quality/depth of clubs? Probably the premier league. But La Liga probably has a stronger trio of Atletico, Madrid, and Barcelona, though they all three aren't having the best seasons currently. Italy has a tight  mid-table with Juventus lording over them and then embarassingly bad relegation fodder.

8 minutes ago, Spike said:

In terms of overall quality/depth of clubs? Probably the premier league. But La Liga probably has a stronger trio of Atletico, Madrid, and Barcelona, though they all three aren't having the best seasons currently. Italy has a tight  mid-table with Juventus lording over them and then embarassingly bad relegation fodder.

Really? I think people overrate Premier League midtable and below too much sometimes...I mean Huddersfield, Fulham, Cardiff, Southampton, Burnley, Crystal Palace, Newcastle....hardly teams that make you think "wow". Some like Newcastle who can dig in and get a result here and there but that's about it.

Even at midtable, Bournemouth have their moments but then get hammered by anyone decent, Everton have been a shitshow for years.

Not to say La Liga is brimming with sides much better....but I wouldn't say overall quality.

La Liga is under par at the moment if you ask me and is arguably the worst it's been in a decade. It's a far cry from what it has been like over the last 8 or so years and the quality is starting to slowly drop as well.

Every single team in the division are worse than they were and it says a lot when Getafe and Alaves are 4th and 5th respectively in my opinion. Barcelona look fragile(still doing well and getting results mind), Real and Atletico are a shadow of what they were and both need  changes, Sevilla have gradually gotten worse as the season has progressed, Valencia haven't improved from last season, Villarreal are looking like a relegation outfit, so are Celta, Betis haven't improved as much as they were expected to and Athletic and Real Sociedad are largely poor.

The performances by Spanish clubs in Europe have also been under par this season.

For entertainment which is my personal barometer of what makes the best I'd say The Championship. Without doubt not as skilful as the top tier of football leagues, but for competitive games and action it has it all.

On 15/03/2019 at 23:23, Large said:

For entertainment which is my personal barometer of what makes the best I'd say The Championship. Without doubt not as skilful as the top tier of football leagues, but for competitive games and action it has it all.

24 teams seems to be too much to be honest 

Entertainment

1. Premier league. Kick and rush at the bottom and mid table, attack/counter attack minded top teams for the most part. And City play nice stuff. 

2. Bundesliga. Fluent attacking football from teams who all want to win by outscoring each other, rather than looking for a goal or 2

3. Several notable leagues including Eredivisie, the froggy league and even the bush league.

4. The rest of the world 

5. La liga. Yawn fest. 

6. The Serie A. It's just like the bundesliga, except Juve have an even tighter grip, the midtable and bottom are a joke, the stadiums are a thousand years old, just like the players and fans. Also the stadiums are only half full, and teams want to win 1-0. Luckily their defensive incompetence is outmatched only by their lack of attacking flair. 

For quality amongst the top 6 

1. Premier league

2. La Liga

3 Bundesliga

4 Ligue 1

5. Juventus league. Sponsored by Napoli 

Atmosphere. 

1. Bundesliga

2. Little shitpot eastern bloc nations who's fans would kill each other if not for the literally army and tanks at the games topping them

3. Most other leagues

4. Premier League 

5. Italian world series of yawning. 

Archived