talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Northern Clubs Are Shit

....not my words, Gary Neviles....roughly xD

Theres an article on Sky about how the Prem is dominated by Southern clubs, 8 at the moment, 9 with Brighton, potentially 10 with a play off.

8 northern clubs currently, -3 if Hull, Boro and Sunderland go down. +1 when Newcastle come back up and potentially another from the play-offs. 

Of course there's 3 clubs from the desolate wastelands neither the north and south want but who cares about them, G Nev doesn't.

Apparently north-east and Yorkshire clubs are looking into having their training grounds in the south and have their lads drive up to a game on the weekend to attract a better caliber of player that wants to live in a city that sees the Sun every so often, rather than rain, snow and grown men walking on their knuckles.

Personally whilst I can imagine the issues Sunderland or Burnley may have attracting a player that wants to live somewhere you know, nice. I think this is a bit far fetched. All of a sudden theres two more clubs in the Prem and the norths suddenly having a disaster...it's been a disaster for years; Leeds, Sheff Wednesday, Sheff Utd, Newcastle, Blackburn, Sunderland. Reoccurring problems where "big" clubs seem to trip themselves up over and over again. Maybe if those clubs took a leaf out of your Southamptons or your Tottenhams books they wouldn't be in such a fucking mess.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Cure said:

Where would you say the cutting point is? Would Leicester be considered north or south?

I would say they're northerners but my GCSE Geography teacher would say they're in the Midlands. So no cut off point needed.

It's Sunderland who have been researching the possibility of training in the south. Disgrace really and their fans wouldn't stand for it so I can't see it going ahead. 

I think the problem is they cant sign players who are single. Footballers don't live in the cities they play for anyway. There are very rich estates of mansions on the outskirts. Even of Sunderland. But if you are a young bachelor what good is that.

Hence Jermaine Defoe lived out of a Hilton room overlooking the tyne bridge so he could shag a different bird every night.

Interesting approach and in the modern world of multi-millionaire footballers and multi-billionaire clubs, chartered planes are used all the time so this would just effectively be the same thing. 

The problem is the lack of connection players may feel to their team's Town or city and the lack of opportunities for youth products. 

It's disrespectful to not even be willing to live within the vicinity of the community you represent.

I remember when Michael Owen wanted to take a helicopter from Cheshire to Newcastle for training every day. That went down a treat and contributed to the overall negative image he earned and became hated for.

Harry Redknapp wanted to do the same thing. He signed a contract agreeing to takeover Newcastle but then asked Mike Ashley for a helicopter and pilot to take him to training from Bournemouth every day and the deal fell through. 

On 19/04/2017 at 3:44 PM, Smiley Culture said:

The problem is the lack of connection players may feel to their team's Town or city and the lack of opportunities for youth products. 

Dundee United moved their entire training setup out to St Andrews and so only really were in Dundee on marchdays. Obviously it can't really be proven to have an effect, but there must be a psychological effect lost of home advantage.

45 minutes ago, ScoRoss said:

Dundee United moved their entire training setup out to St Andrews and so only really were in Dundee on marchdays. Obviously it can't really be proven to have an effect, but there must be a psychological effect lost of home advantage.

When did they do that?

1 hour ago, Spike said:

@HoneyNUFC Why has the NUFC academy had so little success with talent?

Didn't know where else to ask this.

There's no real obvious reason to be honest. However there is 1 popular theory that it is because Newcastle is a party city so as soon as these lads are turning 18 they are out living rockstar lives. The club likes to loan kids out to places where there is fuck all going on, like Adam Armstrong to Barnsley and Ivan Toney to Scunthorpe. Scottish village teams are also a popular destination.

Personally I think right now it might be because we have shit coaches who have been there for years. Dave Watson has been youth coach for 6 years now, when Pardew left Watson was brought into the first team as defence coach, our defending went down the fucking drain, that set alarm bells off to me. Once McClaren came in Watson went back to coaching kids. We've also got Peter Beardsley managing the U23s, he's not there on merit, he's done nothing with them, he's there because he's a club legend who licks Mike Ashley's bum.

I'd love to see if bringing in some top continental coach to the youth set-up changes things rather than having a bloke who was a centre back in the 1980s.

I remember going to a youth game between Newcastle and Chelsea a couple of years ago and the difference in quality was embarassing. Not only that but we were playing almost a carbon copy of the same shit style Pardew had the first team playing.

23 minutes ago, HoneyNUFC said:

There's no real obvious reason to be honest. However there is 1 popular theory that it is because Newcastle is a party city so as soon as these lads are turning 18 they are out living rockstar lives. The club likes to loan kids out to places where there is fuck all going on, like Adam Armstrong to Barnsley and Ivan Toney to Scunthorpe. Scottish village teams are also a popular destination.

Personally I think right now it might be because we have shit coaches who have been there for years. Dave Watson has been youth coach for 6 years now, when Pardew left Watson was brought into the first team as defence coach, our defending went down the fucking drain, that set alarm bells off to me. Once McClaren came in Watson went back to coaching kids. We've also got Peter Beardsley managing the U23s, he's not there on merit, he's done nothing with them, he's there because he's a club legend who licks Mike Ashley's bum.

I'd love to see if bringing in some top continental coach to the youth set-up changes things rather than having a bloke who was a centre back in the 1980s.

I remember going to a youth game between Newcastle and Chelsea a couple of years ago and the difference in quality was embarassing. Not only that but we were playing almost a carbon copy of the same shit style Pardew had the first team playing.

Thanks for clarifying. I've known a lot of Geordies in the past and I can see the obvious passion for football...as well as the drink. I was always curious why such a passionate and heavily populated part of the country had such little success with their academies. I can't think of the last notable Geordie since Alan Shearer and then he came up through Southampton.

5 hours ago, Spike said:

Thanks for clarifying. I've known a lot of Geordies in the past and I can see the obvious passion for football...as well as the drink. I was always curious why such a passionate and heavily populated part of the country had such little success with their academies. I can't think of the last notable Geordie since Alan Shearer and then he came up through Southampton.

Michael Carrick, but again not through NUFC

Archived