• Sign up free today!

    Join in on the discussion, prediction leagues and competitions today! Sign up takes no longer than 5 minutes.

Sign in to follow this  
football forum

Renault F1 Team

Recommended Posts

Well, they definitely got the funniest driver pairing on the grid: 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know what the point of this is, but maybe you'll enjoy it, or not. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New engine for Danny Ricciardo; no penalty yet. Hülkenberg will get the new one at some other race as they didn't want to get penalty in their home race.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, nudge said:

Renault are exploring options outside of Hülkenberg as his contract expires at the end of this season.

https://www.gptoday.net/en/news/f1/248730/renault-exploring-options-outside-hulkenberg-for-2020

 

If they decide to promote one of their junior drivers, hope it's Zhou. 

Not too shocking really. Nico has been getting beat consistently by Danny in Qualifying.

Surely going to be either Zhou or Herbert. Would have to say Zhou with the year he's having in F2. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So last year Renault finished as the 'best of the rest', just ahead of Haas and McLaren. 

This year McLaren has really had a strong start, whereas Haas are having a dreadful start to the year. Sainz is absolutely having an incredible year, and Lando is keeping pace with Danny and Nico. Will be bad news if Renault lose their spot as the 4th place come years end. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Eco said:

Not too shocking really. Nico has been getting beat consistently by Danny in Qualifying.

Surely going to be either Zhou or Herbert. Would have to say Zhou with the year he's having in F2. 

Hubert is having a great season as a rookie as well so he could definitely be an option as well if they decide to take this path.

Ocon could make sense as well... Young french driver in a french team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

By the way are you a Renault fan now? :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, nudge said:

By the way are you a Renault fan now? :D 

I'm a Danny fan - and since he drives for Renault...

Renault is also French, and since I like France (not Paris, though), French football, wine, and speaking moderately decent French, they are a good one to like. 

Also, they seem like a solid F1 staple, but really having Ricciardo makes me like them even more. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Absolute shit weekend. Nico and Daniel were both non-existent and seemed to be losing pace on the straightaways. McLaren is really showing strides over last year, with two drivers that both did well this weekend, and Renault is struggling more than they were last year, despite having a top driver in Ricciardo. 

Renault will need to pick up points next race in GB..where they were also unable to pick in this race last year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Their car suffers from aero stability issues; both drivers were complaining about lack of balance (especially at the rear), poor handling, even worse breaking.

The chassis is just crap it seems.

 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, nudge said:

Their car suffers from aero stability issues; both drivers were complaining about lack of balance (especially at the rear), poor handling, even worse breaking.

 The chassis is just crap it seems.

 

Is this a common issue that's lasted years, or just this year? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Eco said:

Is this a common issue that's lasted years, or just this year? 

Last year engine reliability was by far a much bigger problem; whereas their chassis seemed ok (but not extremely good) compared to their current one.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Renault's Race Poster for this weekend. 

66050578_2869509423076046_19151887870176

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's cool, makes me miss the old section from Abbey to Brooklands though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Didn't know Hulkenberg was in the habit of driving the team's trucks to the next circuit.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Didn't know Hulkenberg was in the habit of driving the team's trucks to the next circuit.

That sums up our weekend quite well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Eco said:

That sums up our weekend our season quite well. 

There, corrected it for you! :ph34r:

 

Also it's another two Renault engine failures. One for Ricciardo, one for Norris. Reliability wise, they still seem to fail to improve significantly. McLaren at least have a good chassis...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, nudge said:

There, corrected it for you! :ph34r:

 

Also it's another two Renault engine failures. One for Ricciardo, one for Norris. Reliability wise, they still seem to fail to improve significantly. McLaren at least have a good chassis...

Yeah - so this is my first F1 season...so I'm not sure what the expectations were....

Really hope this gets fixed though...is there a limit on how many changes you can make to an engine? (Like there are with PU's)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Eco said:

Really hope this gets fixed though...is there a limit on how many changes you can make to an engine? (Like there are with PU's)

Engine (ICE) is part of the PU, 3 ICEs are allowed per driver throughout the season. All elements of the PU have slightly different allocations; namely a driver can use 3 turbochargers, 3 MGU-H (generator that recovers and stores energy from the turbo), 2 MGU-K (generator that recovers and stores energy from the braking system), 2 energy stores (basically lithium ion batteries) and 2 electronic control units per season without incurring any grid penalties.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First changes at Renault:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just hope they don't get rid of Cyril, just from a Netflix Drive to Survive point of view. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/07/2019 at 18:25, nudge said:

First changes at Renault:

 

Saw this earlier this week, but I'm not familiar with Proust. Hopefully it's a good move as this year as been really rough. 

I'm hoping the reliability improves, and the more I get my head around F1, and understand, I hope that there is a move soon to sign Ocon and drop Nico. A pairing of Ocon & Ricciardo would be tasty, and bring some additional prestige to this team. Despite having some F2 drivers that will move up soon, most notably Zhou, I still think a pairing of Ocon and Danny would have the best case scenario.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Eco said:

Saw this earlier this week, but I'm not familiar with Proust. Hopefully it's a good move as this year as been really rough. 

I'm hoping the reliability improves, and the more I get my head around F1, and understand, I hope that there is a move soon to sign Ocon and drop Nico. A pairing of Ocon & Ricciardo would be tasty, and bring some additional prestige to this team. Despite having some F2 drivers that will move up soon, most notably Zhou, I still think a pairing of Ocon and Danny would have the best case scenario.  

Why would you want Nico gone though?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Eco said:

Saw this earlier this week, but I'm not familiar with Proust. Hopefully it's a good move as this year as been really rough. 

I'm hoping the reliability improves, and the more I get my head around F1, and understand, I hope that there is a move soon to sign Ocon and drop Nico. A pairing of Ocon & Ricciardo would be tasty, and bring some additional prestige to this team. Despite having some F2 drivers that will move up soon, most notably Zhou, I still think a pairing of Ocon and Danny would have the best case scenario.  

Alain Prost. A four-time F1 champion, Senna's rival, one of the best drivers in F1 history :P 

If you believe Nico Rosberg (I don't) then he just said on German TV that Ocon takes Bottas place at Mercedes next year...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hope that's not true as there's no way Ocon beats Hamilton even semi-regularly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Tommy said:

Why would you want Nico gone though?

I like Nico, but he's been one of the greatest under performers in recent memory. 

I like Ocon, a lot, though. And with the French connection, it makes sense.

Something has to change with Renault. We have fallen behind McLaren, and close to Racing Point. Too many issues with this supposedly "increase in investment" we were supposed to get.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Eco said:

I like Nico, but he's been one of the greatest under performers in recent memory. 

I like Ocon, a lot, though. And with the French connection, it makes sense.

Something has to change with Renault. We have fallen behind McLaren, and close to Racing Point. Too many issues with this supposedly "increase in investment" we were supposed to get.

Theres no point blaming the drivers though. Ocon has achieved nothing that Hulkenberg couldn't have done in the same position. He is just younger and more hyped. Renault have one of the best driver pairings on the grid. Like when Honda had Button and Barrichello in 2007-2008 with an awful car, Button was a winner of one race in nine years and Barrichello was a beta/number 2 driver. Give them a good car in 2009 and they brought home both championships. Ricciardo and Hulkenberg are like that now.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Theres no point blaming the drivers though. Ocon has achieved nothing that Hulkenberg couldn't have done in the same position. He is just younger and more hyped. Renault have one of the best driver pairings on the grid. Like when Honda had Button and Barrichello in 2007-2008 with an awful car, Button was a winner of one race in nine years and Barrichello was a beta/number 2 driver. Give them a good car in 2009 and they brought home both championships. Ricciardo and Hulkenberg are like that now.

You may be right, but as I have mentioned, something HAS to change, so it's only certain you look at all the pieces. Riccarido was a winner at RB, and Nico has yet to grace the podium. So that's where I'm basing this off of. 

Cyril is a nut, and probably great for Netflix and his hatred for Christian and RB, but the chassis and engine still seem far below other teams so something needs to change, just trying to figure out where that comes...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Eco said:

I like Nico, but he's been one of the greatest under performers in recent memory. 

That's because he always drove for "small" teams. It used to be because of his height, and the weight disadvantage teams feared because of it. He never had a shot at a top team, even though he would have deserved it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Advertisement