talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Everton 2-0 Chelsea - Sunday 17th March, 2019

football forum

We have arguably the worst fullbacks out of any top 6 club in every top flight league in Europe. 

Never in my life did I wish injury on a player as much as I do with Alonso. Shouldn't be starting. At fault for the goal. 

Unbelievable 

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, carefreeluke said:

Genuinely the worst player I’ve watched for my club. Can’t believe the hype that generated about him under Conte. Referee do us a favour and send him off.

You can honestly tell Hazard is sick of him. Never passes to him and always waves his hands up when Alonso messes up. 

In what logical sense, does Alonso have the right to play? He's been at fault, solely, for so many goals this season. In crucial games. 

Honestly, this is something I can't defend Sarri on. Any stick he gets is well and truly justifiable. The contract extension for Alonso was just one, of the fucking handful of bad decisions made by our board. 

What an absolute nightmare of a boardroom. 

2 hours ago, Cicero said:

Barkley starts. Honestly, the fuck is Sarri thinking?

Alonso has also murdered his way back in the starting XI. 

Appalling. Not looking forward to this at all. 

So sad how predictable we are now. 

We should of killed the game first half. It’s become a common theme of this season away where we’re on top first half, don’t take advantage of that and the other team grow into it. Player selection you can blame Sarri for but the rest today is on the players, should of been out of sight first half.

8 minutes ago, carefreeluke said:

We should of killed the game first half. It’s become a common theme of this season away where we’re on top first half, don’t take advantage of that and the other team grow into it. Player selection you can blame Sarri for but the rest today is on the players, should of been out of sight first half.

Normally I’d agree, however it’s becoming a normal thing that when Alonso starts, he’s at fault for a goal. He starts. At fault for both goals. Killing our momentum. 

He scores and assists against arguably the worst ever team we faced in Europe, gives Sarri justification to start him. 

Nah. This is all on Sarri for me. 

• Subscriber

Fair to say things went our way there. Turns out actually trying to run and pass the ball to each other actually works better than doing nothing.

Still need a lot more to convince me that we've turned a corner, but hopefully this stops people cry-arsing about Silva for a few weeks, and we've ended that dismal run against the big six.

As for Chelsea, I have no words. Having 5000% possession and not scoring in the first half only to concede 2 minutes after half time and never recover is exactly the sort of shit that goes into the "Everton, that" hall of fame. I can only sympathise.

I like Sarri, but I don't think he'll ever be given the tools he needs to succeed at Chelsea and if they're unwilling or unable to give that to him I don't see why they paid an arm and a leg to get him from Napoli. I don't see where they're going to be honest. When Hazard leaves they'll be so far off the rest of the top teams it's untrue.

Almost forgot but Barkley pretending to be injured when he'd had enough around 65 minutes is him all over. You lot will properly hate him in another 18 months or so when he hasn't developed in the slightest.

40 points lads.

23 minutes ago, carefreeluke said:

You are 100% correct. Go one up and I think you win that game, simple.

You've lost because you didn't take your chances. It's so important to be clinical.

Yes Alonso was poor, but he's not the primary reason here. And for me personally, whether a player is in form or not, you have to back them when they where the shirt. Not saying they can't be criticised but it's poor form to harass and target them as he has been. He'll never improve that way xD

Bar the European games, Chelsea have looked poor for ages so there's more passengers here than just Alonso. A few of Chelsea's players are not all that to be frank. There's no unity for me, they don't want to play for Sarri.

9 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Normally I’d agree, however it’s becoming a normal thing that when Alonso starts, he’s at fault for a goal. He starts. At fault for both goals. Killing our momentum. 

He scores and assists against arguably the worst ever team we faced in Europe, gives Sarri justification to start him. 

Nah. This is all on Sarri for me. 

As bad as Alonso is, it's a different game second half if we're leading going into it. I blame Sarri for some of the player selections but I don't put the majority of the blame on him. The players take the most part of it for me. The board also deserve a lot of criticism for some of their decisions in recent years. 

1 minute ago, carefreeluke said:

As bad as Alonso is, it's a different game second half if we're leading going into it. I blame Sarri for some of the player selections but I don't put the majority of the blame on him. The players take the most part of it for me. The board also deserve a lot of criticism for some of their decisions in recent years. 

I just hate being right. About Alonso in particular. 

I look like Nostradamus this season when I see the team sheet. It just makes it very hard to defend Sarri. 

11 minutes ago, Lucas said:

You are 100% correct. Go one up and I think you win that game, simple.

You've lost because you didn't take your chances. It's so important to be clinical.

Yes Alonso was poor, but he's not the primary reason here. And for me personally, whether a player is in form or not, you have to back them when they where the shirt. Not saying they can't be criticised but it's poor form to harass and target them as he has been. He'll never improve that way xD

Bar the European games, Chelsea have looked poor for ages so there's more passengers here than just Alonso. A few of Chelsea's players are not all that to be frank. There's no unity for me, they don't want to play for Sarri.

I'll always support players at the game. 

As far as comments on here go though and conversations about football with family and friends, I'll say what I see. As soon as I first saw Alonso play for my club I knew straight away his level and a good goalscoring record wasn't enough to hide his obvious flaws. He's not good enough for a top ten team in the Premier League, let alone one that should be playing Champions League football and challenging for the league title. Alonso does look low on confidence though.

I agree with you though mate.

I'm annoyed at the players as a whole though, not just Alonso. The fact that this season we haven't come back to win a game from behind only allows me to draw particular negative conclusions about their mentalities. One of the most annoying things is that if an opposing team scores against us, it's become very unlikely that we'll come back from it which just kills the game as well. 

Amongst the chaos, I do see potential with the team and signs that we could become a decent team under Sarri in the future. For me, Sarri has to stay.

With AVB and Scolari in the past, for example, when push came to shove, I was for the decision for them to pack their bags, with Sarri definitely not.

3 minutes ago, carefreeluke said:

I'll always support players at the game. 

As far as comments on here go though and conversations about football with family and friends, I'll say what I see. As soon as I first saw Alonso play for my club I knew straight away his level and a good goalscoring record wasn't enough to hide his obvious flaws. He's not good enough for a top ten team in the Premier League, let alone one that should be playing Champions League football and challenging for the league title. Alonso does look low on confidence though.

I agree with you though mate.

I'm annoyed at the players as a whole though, not just Alonso. The fact that this season we haven't come back to win a game from behind only allows me to draw particular negative conclusions about their mentalities. One of the most annoying things is that if an opposing team scores against us, it's become very unlikely that we'll come back from it which just kills the game as well. 

Mentally you look shot to pieces. I think Europe has been a great distraction for you because you've been winning and bred confidence in winning the cup, but I'd also say the competition has been that piss easy for you that you've not been tested in it to see if you'd wobble there.

David Luiz is absolute dump. That first goal, he should be attacking that header like Van Dijk or Kompany would and instead, he looks scared of flattening his hair. Alonso's confidence is shot. Azpilicueta offers little going forward.

There is so much pressure on Hazard to score because there are no goals coming from Kante (not his job to be fair), Jorginho (fraud), Barkley (Lidl Paul Gascoigne). 

You get an odd goal from Pedro now and then and Higuain's best years have passed so the side is in absolute disarray. As you said, it's not a surprise you havent turned leads around. There's no belief or fight in this team. Not enough 'big' characters.

Hudson Odoi comes on and gives the team a spark. Shock. And yet he'll be on that bench again next game as sure as eggs are eggs.

This isn’t a case for ‘supporting a player that’s off form’, Alonso has always been this way. Technically and defensively poor. He scores a few goals and people rate him. 

It’s a continuing theme that when he starts, he is typically at fault for a goal. Leicester. Spurs. United(twice), City, and Arsenal. It’s difficult to support a player when we know,100% of the time, what performance he’ll bring. 

1 hour ago, carefreeluke said:

Amongst the chaos, I do see potential with the team and signs that we could become a decent team under Sarri in the future. For me, Sarri has to stay.

With AVB and Scolari in the past, for example, when push came to shove, I was for the decision for them to pack their bags, with Sarri definitely not.

You are speaking as if the board will actually go for his targets. That is a massive IF. We will truly see who the board will back. The players or the manager. And this is all assuming our transfer ban appeal gets granted. 

Wouldn't surprise me at all if Pedro, Willian, Azpilicueta, Luiz, Drinkwater, and Bakayoko  get contract extensions vs buying players fit for this system. Sarri won't last till December. Then rinse and repeat, and the circus that is the Chelsea board will continue to have strong job security. 

Ian Wright summed it up to a tee. You look at this team without Hazard, and it is genuinely a poor team. 

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Fair to say things went our way there. Turns out actually trying to run and pass the ball to each other actually works better than doing nothing.

Still need a lot more to convince me that we've turned a corner, but hopefully this stops people cry-arsing about Silva for a few weeks, and we've ended that dismal run against the big six.

As for Chelsea, I have no words. Having 5000% possession and not scoring in the first half only to concede 2 minutes after half time and never recover is exactly the sort of shit that goes into the "Everton, that" hall of fame. I can only sympathise.

I like Sarri, but I don't think he'll ever be given the tools he needs to succeed at Chelsea and if they're unwilling or unable to give that to him I don't see why they paid an arm and a leg to get him from Napoli. I don't see where they're going to be honest. When Hazard leaves they'll be so far off the rest of the top teams it's untrue.

Almost forgot but Barkley pretending to be injured when he'd had enough around 65 minutes is him all over. You lot will properly hate him in another 18 months or so when he hasn't developed in the slightest.

40 points lads.

I honestly reckon they're a decent bet to drop out the top six next year.

• The title was changed to Everton 2-0 Chelsea - Sunday 17th March, 2019

Excellent first half in which we should have been at least two goals up, but as per usual we start the second poor and concede, while Alonso made Everton's game a lot easier with a shit challenge in a pathetic game. His goals and assists from the title winning season were there because of the good performance by the team. He is a poor defender and super slow for a full back. Obviously we will have only the Europa League to depend on for the Champions League, as i doubt we will make it to the top four as we can't win away to save our lives.

• Subscriber

My mate is a Chelsea fan, he said Alonso will be badly exposed now conte has gone. I asked why, he said the system and the fact that Conte played wing-backs with 3 CB's, provided cover for him. Not sure how true this is as I never watched them that much.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived