talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Everton 2-0 Chelsea - Sunday 17th March, 2019

football forum

4 hours ago, MUFC said:

My mate is a Chelsea fan, he said Alonso will be badly exposed now conte has gone. I asked why, he said the system and the fact that Conte played wing-backs with 3 CB's, provided cover for him. Not sure how true this is as I never watched them that much.

He was even exposed under Conte's system. 

You can see towards the end of our title winning season, 2016/2017, I was urging us to upgrade on Alonso with Alex Sandro. 

Mad it's been three years and he is still our starting LB. Perfectly reflects the fact we are finishing outside the top 4...again. 

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, MUFC said:

My mate is a Chelsea fan, he said Alonso will be badly exposed now conte has gone. I asked why, he said the system and the fact that Conte played wing-backs with 3 CB's, provided cover for him. Not sure how true this is as I never watched them that much.

He's never been that good mate. Under Conte he was one of the furthest forward in a lot of attacks which partly explained his goalscoring record under him. His goalscoring record would then be compared to other defenders around Europe but the reality was that Alonso wasn't really a defender but a key attacker in our system. Why he found himself so far forward was down to tactical instructions. He's got a decent left foot when he's given the time to use it and is a decent finisher inside the box but I think we often say this a lot about defenders because (headers aside) they tend to get chances that they don't have to think about if that makes sense. I would say also that Cahill is a good finisher inside the box for example.

I cannot think of a full back who has less mobility than this guy in football off the top of my head, particularly amongst the top teams. His mobility limits us in many ways. Defensively he isn't helped out by Hazard in front of him who does little if any defensive work but still as Cicero said he even struggled at times defensively under Conte, despite having Cahill for cover and for a lot of the games, Kanté, and Matic in defensive midfield. 

On 05/08/2018 at 20:43, carefreeluke said:

It's a worry for me this season, Azpilicueta at right back. It wouldn't massively surprise me if he ended up doing very well there given the type of guy he is but it has to be he's most difficult season for Chelsea so far.

I said this about Azpilicueta at the start of the season...

• The topic was unpinned

Archived