• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Other Matches - Saturday 16th March, 2019

football forum

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Some serious action here surprisingly. Ten man Leicester steal a 2-1 win at Burnley with Wes Morgan scoring the winning goal. West Ham beat Huddersfield 4-3 after trailing 3-1. Matt Ritchie scores a 94th minute equaliser for Newcastle at Bournemouth.

14pts at this stage of a season is a disaster, even for a team getting relegated. They'll probably end with one of the top 5 worst points totals in Premier League history. 

Currently stands like this:

1. 11pts - Derby County (07/08)
2. 15pts - Sunderland (05/06)
3. 17pts - Aston Villa (15/16)
4. 19pts - Sunderland (02/03)
5. 24pts - Watford (99/00) / Sunderland (16/17)

1 minute ago, 6666 said:

14pts at this stage of a season is a disaster, even for a team getting relegated. They'll probably end with one of the top 5 worst points totals in Premier League history. 

Currently stands like this:

1. 11pts - Derby County (07/08)
2. 15pts - Sunderland (05/06)
3. 17pts - Aston Villa (15/16)
4. 19pts - Sunderland (02/03)
5. 24pts - Watford (99/00) / Sunderland (16/17)

Fulham as well at this rate. 

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, Dan said:

That is fucking superb Leicester.

A game we'd have 99% lost or drawn if Puel was still here. 

Only listened to the game in second half and sounded like there were some debatable decisions in our favour but it's Burnley and Dyche so don't care xD

3 more points and still in contention for 7th maybe. Good result considering Bournemouth drew and West Ham. Wtf Huddersfield. You had one job xD

That kind of result for them is one that can proper knock the stuffing out of you. Especially 3-1 up with so little time left to go. 

1 hour ago, Dan said:

That is fucking superb Leicester.

Some like to make out that Rodgers is a poor manager that has fluked his career. Obviously that's bollocks!

He actually knows what hes doing and has been relatively successful wherever he has been.

Leicester are in good hands mate. 

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, LFCMadLad said:

Some like to make out that Rodgers is a poor manager that has fluked his career. Obviously that's bollocks!

He actually knows what hes doing and has been relatively successful wherever he has been.

Leicester are in good hands mate. 

I had a bit of a look into his time at Liverpool and I get the feeling that he says things that put people off him - the type who when things go wrong he'll try and say something a bit daft to try and keep spirits up but ultimately the longer it goes on the more you struggle to trust what he says.

But I think people are pretty harsh on the bloke in all honesty. People make out like Suarez was in form like that before he got there and you only have to see the numbers themselves to see the effect that Rodgers had there. Same applies to Sturridge and Sterling too.

He's not faultless but I've always wondered why he gets such harsh stick to be honest. I'm trying to take the attitude of if I can overlook the car salesman quotes, there's a lot of nous about the bloke.

3 hours ago, Stan said:

A game we'd have 99% lost or drawn if Puel was still here. 

Only listened to the game in second half and sounded like there were some debatable decisions in our favour but it's Burnley and Dyche so don't care xD

3 more points and still in contention for 7th maybe. Good result considering Bournemouth drew and West Ham. Wtf Huddersfield. You had one job xD

That kind of result for them is one that can proper knock the stuffing out of you. Especially 3-1 up with so little time left to go. 

We'd have lost that game for sure under Puel. We have been a soft touch all season and playing a physical side in conditions as bad as that I get the feeling we'd have just folded and played the "we were unlucky, did our best in the conditions" kind of card - I worried that this kind of culture was becoming ingrained into this team and that's what has been putting me off overhyping them.

Seeing Rodgers coming in is a breath of fresh air. It just feels like such a good fit for this group of players. They're mostly talented players and growing in confidence. Vardy looks like he could hit good numbers again under him and I think the likes of Maddison and eventually Barnes will flourish too. Big performance from Maddison today - well overdue but he pretty much single handedly won the free kick for the first then took it brilliantly. He's got the talent to go very far but he needs to start delivering more often.

Those two centre halves were built for games like today. Evans is a bargain and a half at the price we paid and Morgan showed he's still got something about him for all his limitations. Huge credit to both.

Ndidi improved again - he's been along with Vardy the biggest improvement so far under Rodgers. Extremely fortunate to not give away a penalty though.

Burnley I always go into the game fearing that we're going to be muscled out of it, that they're going to close us out of it with ease and bully us but in truth, yet again I've left the game thinking "they are fucking rubbish really aren't they?". I thought even when they beat us last year they were shite and we largely let them off the hook. Two shots on target at home to a side that played 90 minutes with ten men is worrying and with their remaining fixtures, I think they're in real bother. They're just too limited a team. I'm far from a football snob but to create so little in that situation is abysmal.

Onwards and upwards. 7th is probably that bit beyond us I think this season but we've got potential to finish very strongly. 3 wins in 4 now with Bournemouth, Huddersfield and Newcastle as our next three.

I do get what Puel tried to do but it is clear as day that he had to go really. It wasn't going to work. I think if he's still here we're ruing more dropped points.

• Subscriber

I've not long got home either. Took me over five hours to get home. Been stuck in floods near Todmorden. Absolute shambles of a decision to go that way back.

Worth it though. I hope Burnley survive simply because I like going away there. One of my favourite aways in the league.

• Subscriber

Don't want to clog the thread up but I missed a couple of things anyway, a positive and a negative.

The positive is Youri Tielemans. Can't help but be a bit wary about everyone going mad and saying pay what they want (that's exactly why PL clubs get taken to the cleaners) but it is getting harder and harder to deny that he is potentially going to be a big player for us if we do manage to get him permanently. You can see the quality in his game. Another assist today and an overall good performance. It amazes me having watched him here that he flopped in France.

The negative sadly is the man who put us in that bad position in the first place, Harry Maguire. He's had a poor season and I think for all he is a clearly likeable character, obviously got a bit about him on the ball, but he is a bang average defender at this level and he very nearly cost us today. I'd love him to be a bit better but in truth he's over-rated and I don't really see him as that big a miss for the Bournemouth game. Morgan would be blasted for that today.

Oh and I maintain give Caglar a go. We paid twenty million for this bloke and he's barely had a sniff.

• Administrator
27 minutes ago, Harvsky said:

Missed this game as I was on a plane. Another point closer. From the highlights looks like Fede was well off the pace and Yedlin caught up the field.

Think you're safe, even if you lost today.

It's between Burnley, Southampton & Cardiff now. Think only Brighton and/or Palace (or neither) will get sucked in. But even then I think that's unlikely as they'll pick up a couple more wins along the way.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived