talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Monchi to Arsenal...

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's kind of fucked Roma tbh, soured his reputation in my eyes. Could go one of three ways: 1.) he goes back to being the genius he was at Sevilla; 2.) he does the disappointing job he's done at Roma at Arsenal; 3.) Somewhere in between - sometimes a bit good, sometimes a bit bad.

Honestly, the third option seems most likely because it's less extreme and it's likely that he's just had some dud signings as a Director of Football because not every signing ends up being all that great and it just seems like he's gone sour because of how good of a job he had done previously.

2 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

He's kind of fucked Roma tbh, soured his reputation in my eyes. Could go one of three ways: 1.) he goes back to being the genius he was at Sevilla; 2.) he does the disappointing job he's done at Roma at Arsenal; 3.) Somewhere in between - sometimes a bit good, sometimes a bit bad.

Honestly, the third option seems most likely because it's less extreme and it's likely that he's just had some dud signings as a Director of Football because not every signing ends up being all that great and it just seems like he's gone sour because of how good of a job he had done previously.

To ilustrate, his transfer record at Roma. Pretty bad: 

1 minute ago, El Profesor said:

And in fairness, it can be difficult to expect any club to immediately rebound when in two seasons you've sold players the caliber of: Nainggolan (still can't believe he wasn't taken to the world cup either...), Rudiger (underrated player, imo), Salah and Alisson. That's 4 incredibly vital players. You take 4 incredibly vital players out of most sides and I think they'll struggle to be as good as they were unless they've got the ridiculous depth that City have.

But the replacements brought in are all really underwhelming to the caliber of player released.

Wanted him at LFC in the past, but I am more than happy with Edwards now. 

As for his Roma job, you could argue that he had financial issues. He had to sell players, didn't he? Nobody saw Salah being such a huge hit. And to be fair, he got a shit load of money for Alisson, even though as a LFC fan I think the price was worth it.

• Administrator
18 minutes ago, El Profesor said:

It improved as showing with the 5 latest signings. Young prospects who could turn out to be very decent.

Nzonzi at Sevilla was one of the most sought after defensive midfielders just because of how well he was performing there so I don't blame him for going for him. The only other notable signing there who has been reliable and solid is probably Kolarov.

Never heard of Bianda though!

20 minutes ago, El Profesor said:

I actually think that is pretty good considering Roma's finances. Sure some of them aren't great but Zaniolo, Schick, Kolarov, Pellegrini, and Nzonzi are decent coups.

3 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Monchi and your manager have an excellent working relationship though.

I'm not against the move for him because if we're going to operate this way then he's the man to get but it's still annoying to know that we're still some way off being a club that can spend serious money.

36 minutes ago, 6666 said:

I'm not against the move for him because if we're going to operate this way then he's the man to get but it's still annoying to know that we're still some way off being a club that can spend serious money.

Patience my friend, it'll come soon - I think in 2-3 years.

5 hours ago, Stan said:

It improved as showing with the 5 latest signings. Young prospects who could turn out to be very decent.

Nzonzi at Sevilla was one of the most sought after defensive midfielders just because of how well he was performing there so I don't blame him for going for him. The only other notable signing there who has been reliable and solid is probably Kolarov.

Never heard of Bianda though!

I don´t think it´s a good record, I´d say it´s mixed at best though Zaniolo is proving to be very good business. Agree on NZonzi, can´t blame him for buying NZonzi, at the time I also thought it was a pretty good deal. 

5 hours ago, Spike said:

I actually think that is pretty good considering Roma's finances. Sure some of them aren't great but Zaniolo, Schick, Kolarov, Pellegrini, and Nzonzi are decent coups.

He spent significant sums on Pastore, Schick and Cristante. Not ideal. But I think with time, Monchi´s record at Roma could improve, as the youngsters he brought there can develop into class players. 

D1Nfx_TXcAEgOZ0.jpg:large

The problem at Roma was the scattergun approach to signings and how he thought they'd fit in with the team. 

Pastore and N'Zonzi are expensive signings, who were already pasted their peak. No point pleading poverty for having to sell Paredes and Strootman, to only bring in more expensive (and ultimately worse) players.

Think this is nonsense, looks all set to rejoin Sevilla from reports yesterday. John Cross is also not that reliable so I doubt he ends up here.

I would have taken him post Sevilla but not been convinced by his work at Roma. We're ultimately a slightly bigger version and he seems to be quite trigger happy with sales. I don't think that's ultimately a bad thing, but he had two pretty substantial turnovers of players in the two years he was there. Not convinced that's really a good strategy.

Monchi back at Sevilla official now. There is talk we was very interested but who knows if that is just the media putting two and two together. If we was interested seems as though his Roma experienced has affected him and he prefers to go back to his comfort zone. I do think Sevilla may just be the perfect club for his work though.

Archived