• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Round 02: Bahrain

football forum

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Very sad for Leclerc; at least he still got on the podium thanks to the safety car... or should I say thanks to Renault who seem to continue where they left off last season and haven't improved reliability of their engines one bit. Vettel screwed up there as he would have taken the win today (is it just me or he seems and sounds utterly depressed?..) but instead it's another 1-2 for Mercedes as Ferrari start bottling it again. It seems they have the fastest car at this moment but it isn't worth much if they lack reliability.

A big shout out to Lando Norris. Great driving this weekend; both in the quali yesterday and in the race today. The same goes to Alex Albon, good race from him and he's starting to show that he was deservedly given a seat this season. First points for both rookies and Russell outperforms Kubica again, good stuff ^_^

P7 and P11 for Sauber; Kimi just as good as always although I thought he would have been able to overtake Norris there too. Giovinazzi just mediocre but close to points this time.

Entertaining race altogether.

Always felt it was harsh on Vettel, over the last 10 years people have said he can't race wheel-to-wheel. Looking at his collisions the last 2 years and his spin today, it looks true.

1 hour ago, Tommy said:

Luckiest man on the planet gains additional bit of luck he didn't even know he had. 

I agree, Vettel was lucky to finish that high up after his chicken dance. 

• Subscriber

That was a great race. This track has aged really well after years of being seen as one of the many dull "Tilkedromes". That section downhill from turn 4 makes for such great wheel-to-wheel action and they should look to be building similar sections into any future tracks.

New year, same Ferrari. How they end up 3rd and 5th from that position is incredible, and they always manage to find a way to do it. Charles will win a race soon because that car is competitive, but at least he has his first podium. Vettel has had a poor start to the year and I can see him being the second Ferrari in the championship standings this year. If he manages to outscore his team-mate it'll be down to his superior experience and I'd expect 2020 to be a different story.

Mercedes just being Mercedes and picking up the pieces. Disappointing pace from Bottas at a track that is usually strong for him but back-to-back 1-2s for the team. Some great racing from Hamilton, not least passing Vettel on the outside.

Verstappen with a lonely race. Gasly has been really disappointing in these first two races. He gets a bit of benefit of the doubt because of car problems in qualifying but if Ricciardo was still in that car he'd have been scything through from midfield to finish in the top six so Gasly has to improve.

Renault - just what the fuck? Terrible in qualifying, rubbish strategy with Ricciardo's car, but worth a try I suppose? Then a double breakdown like that for not even the same problem on both cars is a nightmare. Their race pace was strong, and Hulkenberg drove a really good race to be fair to him.

McLaren - their pace at this track which is quite representative of the whole calendar is really encouraging. Norris with an impressive 6th place and Sainz would have been right there as well, I thought he was unlucky with that collision with Verstappen.

Sauber look to have a decent car again this year. Kimi will probably score points consistently while Giovinazzi will probably be replaced at the end of the year because I don't see what he brings to the table.

Haas just disappeared from this race. Grosjean was obviously involved in an incident but Magnussen's loss of pace was mystifying. Bad day for them.

Racing Point are just a whole lot of who cares today. I think Perez got a point in the end. Hope to see an improvement from them.

Albon scores some points, not bad from him. Kvyat got involved in a collision that may not have been his fault then got done for speeding in the pit-lane, an absolute schoolboy error and I'm yet to be convinced that his return to F1 is anything other than a waste of a seat which could be filled by Ocon or someone else who hasn't already had a fair crack of the whip.

Williams appeared to be lapping a bit closer to the rest of the field than they were in Australia, then I stopped paying attention to their times after about 20 laps.

Won't be able to watch the next race live but I'm looking forward to the next races. Interesting to see how the inter-team battles at Ferrari and Mercedes develop. It's probably inevitable that Hamilton outclasses Bottas over the course of the year but Vettel already has his hands full with Leclerc.

• Administrator

Just watching highlights now (on HD @Cannabis xD

Sad to see Leclerc's demise today. Silver lining in that he still finished on the podium though after the Renault's failure. 

What struck me was Alonso's reaction. You could see the disappointment etched on his face as he can relate to it. Leclerc can take some solace in the fact he's already so well respected by his peers despite being so gljng

Hamilton's words were nice as well, especially in immediate aftermath of winning when he could have been celebrating at another win extended Mercedes' lead but chose to focus on a rival teammate. 

51 minutes ago, Stan said:

Hamilton's words were nice as well, especially in immediate aftermath of winning when he could have been celebrating at another win extended Mercedes' lead but chose to focus on a rival teammate. 

Yes, it was a nice gesture, but at least 50% of it was for the media and the cameras around him. Lewis is a real nice guy, he was, at least when he started out. But now he wants to become some sort of Hollywood celebrity so that you have to take every action of him with a pinch of salt. 

• The topic was unpinned

Archived