• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Martial Arts & Self Defense

football forum

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

I tried Judo and Karate for a short period as a kid but it didn't last. Then I tried boxing, which I much preferred.

Kung Fu and Taekwondo would have been amazing.

Kung Fu was fun as we would often spar, i hated Taekwondo, it was all about making weird postures all the time like Karate Kid but without the kicking the cunts' arses and getting the girl part.

2 hours ago, Berserker said:

Kung Fu was fun as we would often spar, i hated Taekwondo, it was all about making weird postures all the time like Karate Kid but without the kicking the cunts' arses and getting the girl part.

I tried Judo, but it didn't last since punching and/or kicking isn't permitted.

I have a black belt in a self-defence. I got the belt and stopped not long after getting it, this was well before I turned 18.

Still, remember a lot of it as the moves get ingrained into you. So much so I always remember a story our instructor told us during training one time. A student of his was attacked by someone with a knife and because of the training, he was able to defend himself. In training, however, you practice patterns and moves constantly, with rubber knives. After practicing defending yourself, you give the knife back to your partner for them to attack you again until the instructor asks you to change roles. Repetition, defend and give it back. So when this student was attacked in real life, he defended himself and ended up giving the knife back to the attacker as the moves and practice were so rooted in him. I can't remember what happened after but it's a story I always remember.

My instructor was hard as nails but I remember the creator of this particular form of martial art being little over 5ft (or something like this) but he'd take anyone in a fight. He'd come over from South Korea to visit and it was remarkable hearing stories about him and seeing him in action one time.

The whole thing definitely toughened me up as often you'd be doing drills etc with bigger and older men and for a teenager, I think this helped me with confidence in this area not that I realized it at the time. It was great fitness, good for my confidence and discipline.

Not always but perhaps it's true to a little extent, I think in that sort of world the people who practice martial arts or similar things are at the same time the same people who tend to attract conflict or get into trouble out and about. This is not true for everyone of course but it's an observation I take from a world that formed a significant part of my life growing up. 

Archived