The better place to talk football.

Montenegro 1-5 England - Monday 25th March, 2019

football forum

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Fucking sounded like it.

I think the commentators mentioned racist chanting earlier in the match too.

They just said they hadn't heard anything but it sounded like it to me

• The title was changed to Montenegro 1-5 England - Monday 25th March, 2019

That’s a huge win. Genuinely. England have just gone to Eastern Europe and turned over a team 5-1, having gone one down. That’s something I can’t ever remember in my time and just goes to show the quality of this team, this manager and this whole England set-up, from top to bottom. 

1 hour ago, Stan said:

Tyldesley saying he can't work out the provocation which would prompt Sterling to give such a reaction.

What do you fucking think it was xD 

Just read a comment on Facebook from a old women that's said if you ignore racism they will stop doing it :dash3:

2 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

5.1 sterling scores. Wasn't that monkey chants then though?

2 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Fucking sounded like it.

I think the commentators mentioned racist chanting earlier in the match too.

2 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

That was definitely monkey chants then towards Rose

Nah a mate told me that the monkeys had escaped from Montenegro zoo and that the fans were asked to call them back towards the city. Thank god it worked:89_clap:

• Subscriber

Montenegro face racist behaviour charge in Euro 2020 qualifier against England

Uefa has charged Montenegro with racist behaviour following the abuse suffered by England players in their Euro 2020 qualifier in Podgorica on Monday.

England won 5-1 but the match was overshadowed by racist chanting from some home fans directed at several England players, including Danny Rose.

Uefa said "disciplinary proceedings" had been opened against Montenegro with one charge for "racist behaviour".

The case will be dealt with by European football's governing body on 16 May.

Anti-discrimination group Fare said they had identified the match as "high risk" for racism before the game.

Montenegro coach Ljubisa Tumbakovic said he did not "hear or notice any" racist abuse.

But Fare executive director Piara Powar said: "We had an observer present who picked up evidence of racial abuse.

"Our monitoring team have been compiling the evidence we have before presenting it to Uefa."

Montenegro also faces other charges relating to crowd disturbances, the throwing of objects, setting off of fireworks and the blocking of stairways following the game at the Podgorica City Stadium.

What happened?

After only six minutes, BBC Radio 5 Live commentator Ian Dennis said he heard racist chants when Tottenham left-back Rose was in possession. BBC football correspondent John Murray also said he heard the chanting throughout the game and spoke to pitch-side photographers who described the abuse the England players received as "disgusting".

Raheem Sterling scored England's fifth goal in the 81st minute and celebrated by putting his hands to his ears, a gesture he later said was a response to the racist abuse.

In injury time Rose was booked following a strong challenge on Aleksandar Boljevic, with more racist chants aimed at the 28-year-old.

It is not the first time Rose has faced this situation on international duty.

He was racially abused in Serbia in an under-21 game in 2012. Serbia's FA was fined £65,000, with their under-21s having to play a game behind closed doors.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47705811

• The topic was unpinned

Archived