• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Forgotten footballers

football forum

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 21/03/2019 at 12:40, Dr. Gonzo said:

Here's one that I'd forgotten so much it took me about 10 minutes to track down his Wikipedia because I couldn't remember his name for the life of me.

Danny Cadamarteri. I remember when he broke through for the blueshite and looked great. Scored in a Merseyside derby against us and everything. Then he sort of fell out of the team and was loaned out for a few years. Then he was charged with assault, told he could leave Everton - but decided to stay. But he didn't play much after that.

He then went to Bradford City (and he was convicted for that assault) and managed to go a whole season without scoring a goal for them (lets not forget he was a forward). He somehow got an extension with them, but that would be his last time playing in the top flight in England. He then moved to Leeds - he'd only score 2 goals for Leeds before making the move to Sheffield United, he scored once there. I think that's was the end of his career in the top flight - he went back to Bradford (now in League One) and played regularly but he was totally shite. Then he failed a drugs test... banned from playing for 6 months.

Then spent his career as a lower league journeyman before going to Dundee to show the Scottish what kind of player he was. He was released after 14 matches with them. Then back to League One for him at 2 other clubs.

There was a time he looked like he was going to have a very good career with all of his promise. And instead he just sort of slid away into obscurity, granted his personal problems played a massive part. Sort of like a more forgettable Jermaine Pennant.

I reckon you coukd write near the exact same paragraphs for Jose Baxter

1 hour ago, Spike said:

I reckon you coukd write near the exact same paragraphs for Jose Baxter

Did Jose Baxter also have troubles with the law? I thought he was just shite tbh. Danny Cadamarteri’s breakthrough was one of those times where you see a kid come through and you just think “holy shit he’s only just a kid, imagine in a few years how good he’ll be.”

• Subscriber
35 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Did Jose Baxter also have troubles with the law? I thought he was just shite tbh. Danny Cadamarteri’s breakthrough was one of those times where you see a kid come through and you just think “holy shit he’s only just a kid, imagine in a few years how good he’ll be.”

Baxter got involved with drugs, the idiot. I don't know why he was ever that hyped. Basically he did okay in the youth teams and got a game when he was about 16 for the first team and it was a few years after Rooney so dubbing him this next big thing fitted in with the narrative about our academy being amazing. Same thing happened with James Vaughan because he made his debut and scored a tap in aged 16 or something to break Rooney's records, then again with Rodwell. In all of these cases these players were marked for big things before they'd proved anything at all. Rodwell was the only one who had something substantial about him but injuries saw him off pretty early.

33 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Baxter got involved with drugs, the idiot. I don't know why he was ever that hyped. Basically he did okay in the youth teams and got a game when he was about 16 for the first team and it was a few years after Rooney so dubbing him this next big thing fitted in with the narrative about our academy being amazing. Same thing happened with James Vaughan because he made his debut and scored a tap in aged 16 or something to break Rooney's records, then again with Rodwell. In all of these cases these players were marked for big things before they'd proved anything at all. Rodwell was the only one who had something substantial about him but injuries saw him off pretty early.

A similar overhyping of kids with us happened after we had Owen, Carra and Gerrard come through with the likes of Fowler and Macca before... and people just waiting for the next genuinely class academy graduate.

And so much of that overhype was ridiculous. The two that really showed they can perform at a high standard are Suso at Milan and Connor Coady at Wolves, and for Coady he’s only now showing that - after that team has had a whole new core built around it. And neither of them are really anywhere near where hype would have had some believe. I’m talking pre-Alexander Arnold era academy grads for us. Been a long while since we’ve had one like Trent come through tbh

3 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

A similar overhyping of kids with us happened after we had Owen, Carra and Gerrard come through with the likes of Fowler and Macca before... and people just waiting for the next genuinely class academy graduate.

And so much of that overhype was ridiculous. The two that really showed they can perform at a high standard are Suso at Milan and Connor Coady at Wolves, and for Coady he’s only now showing that - after that team has had a whole new core built around it. And neither of them are really anywhere near where hype would have had some believe. I’m talking pre-Alexander Arnold era academy grads for us. Been a long while since we’ve had one like Trent come through tbh

Suso barely counts because you lot poached him from another academy

• 1 month later...

Archived