talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Forgotten footballers

football forum

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's one that I'd forgotten so much it took me about 10 minutes to track down his Wikipedia because I couldn't remember his name for the life of me.

Danny Cadamarteri. I remember when he broke through for the blueshite and looked great. Scored in a Merseyside derby against us and everything. Then he sort of fell out of the team and was loaned out for a few years. Then he was charged with assault, told he could leave Everton - but decided to stay. But he didn't play much after that.

He then went to Bradford City (and he was convicted for that assault) and managed to go a whole season without scoring a goal for them (lets not forget he was a forward). He somehow got an extension with them, but that would be his last time playing in the top flight in England. He then moved to Leeds - he'd only score 2 goals for Leeds before making the move to Sheffield United, he scored once there. I think that's was the end of his career in the top flight - he went back to Bradford (now in League One) and played regularly but he was totally shite. Then he failed a drugs test... banned from playing for 6 months.

Then spent his career as a lower league journeyman before going to Dundee to show the Scottish what kind of player he was. He was released after 14 matches with them. Then back to League One for him at 2 other clubs.

There was a time he looked like he was going to have a very good career with all of his promise. And instead he just sort of slid away into obscurity, granted his personal problems played a massive part. Sort of like a more forgettable Jermaine Pennant.

On 19/03/2019 at 08:23, CaaC - John said:

United...

Giuseppe Rossi - 2004/2006

He was class for Villarreal and one of the best strikers in La Liga for a while. Unfortunately he suffered a serious injury when he went to Italy and his career went downhill from there.

I certainly wouldn't say his career was a total write off though as he had some class seasons in Spain. He stood out and it wasn't easy around that period as La Liga was packed full of top strikers such as Forlan, Aguero and Villa.

15 minutes ago, Cicero said:

What happened? Bloke vanished after 2010

A lot of injuries and he was bullied during the 2010 WC which killed his confidence, I assume. Essentially some players froze him out, refused to pass to him, mocked him, and generally caused a ruckus. I think in interviews afterwards they admitted it was because he was a hyped up, wealthy, white dude.

19 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

My quote button isn't working on the PC - click it and the quoted post doesn't show up here... but

@Eco - Alex Witsel went to China and was still remembered by Dortmund

True - but they seem to leave out memories quickly after making such a move. 

4 hours ago, Cicero said:

Raul Meireles. 

Won the CL with us then called it a day. 

Oh yeah I remember we signed him, he had an anonymous half season and then had an great second half to the season. Then you signed him and I have no idea if he was any good or not. Then I never heard about him ever again.

• Subscriber

This is one for the likes of @DeadLinesman and other United fans, the photo of 'Fergie's Fledgelings' or also known as 'The Class of 92', the photo below from L/R is......

The coach Peter Harrison who sadly passed away a few weeks back, then we have Giggs, Butt, Beckham, Gary & Phil Neville, Scholes and then the forgotten one you never heard of after 1992, Terry Cooke.

Class-of-92.jpg

309998652_download(4).png.98838a788b56cb64cc173e75a5241e9a.png

Cooke grew up as a Birmingham City supporter, and came up through the youth system of Manchester United and scored the penalty that clinched the FA Youth Cup in 1995, but only appeared in eight first-team matches with the club. He made his debut in a Premier League match against Bolton Wanderers in September 1995, and provided the cross for a Ryan Giggs goal, and found himself being tipped for a bright future. He then scored in the second leg of United's League Cup aggregate defeat to York City at Bootham Crescent in early October. However, he only made six more games for the club, his first team opportunities severely limited by the excellence of fellow youngster David Beckham in Cooke's favoured position on the right-hand side of midfield.

Cooke is now employed as a youth team coach for the Denver Kickers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_Cooke

On 21/03/2019 at 17:40, Dr. Gonzo said:

Here's one that I'd forgotten so much it took me about 10 minutes to track down his Wikipedia because I couldn't remember his name for the life of me.

Danny Cadamarteri. I remember when he broke through for the blueshite and looked great. Scored in a Merseyside derby against us and everything. Then he sort of fell out of the team and was loaned out for a few years. Then he was charged with assault, told he could leave Everton - but decided to stay. But he didn't play much after that.

He then went to Bradford City (and he was convicted for that assault) and managed to go a whole season without scoring a goal for them (lets not forget he was a forward). He somehow got an extension with them, but that would be his last time playing in the top flight in England. He then moved to Leeds - he'd only score 2 goals for Leeds before making the move to Sheffield United, he scored once there. I think that's was the end of his career in the top flight - he went back to Bradford (now in League One) and played regularly but he was totally shite. Then he failed a drugs test... banned from playing for 6 months.

Then spent his career as a lower league journeyman before going to Dundee to show the Scottish what kind of player he was. He was released after 14 matches with them. Then back to League One for him at 2 other clubs.

There was a time he looked like he was going to have a very good career with all of his promise. And instead he just sort of slid away into obscurity, granted his personal problems played a massive part. Sort of like a more forgettable Jermaine Pennant.

Reading this post, guess who it reminded me off? Remember Francis Jeffers? 

• Subscriber

Federico Macheda started off at United youth 2007-08 then picked for the first team and at 17 years old scored the goal below in the video, after that it was 18 more appearances for United with 4 goals in total then on the United express train and is now playing for Panathinaikos at 27 years old, there was a lot of high hopes for this lad after that goal but it was never to be. 

974616166_download(1).png.81ee2034d63bdaeffa94894e3d9a5098.png  

Archived