• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

After Life - Ricky Gervais Series

football forum

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Pyfish said:

Watched a couple of episodes of the new Ricky Gervais series After Life. A nice mix of funny bits and some really deep serious parts. A lot better than Derek which I hated!

I thought Derek was great. Heard good things about After Life so looking forward to getting around to watching it

13 hours ago, LFCMike said:

I thought Derek was great. Heard good things about After Life so looking forward to getting around to watching it

48 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

I watched the whole of After Life last night. It's brilliant

Haha! There were twelve hours between those posts! 

17 minutes ago, Harry said:

Haha! There were twelve hours between those posts! 

xD Haha, to be fair there's only 6 half hour episodes. Probably should have gone to bed before the last episode but was one of them where you might as well just finish the series

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, LFCMike said:

xD Haha, to be fair there's only 6 half hour episodes. Probably should have gone to bed before the last episode but was one of them where you might as well just finish the series

I was the same. I finished it off last night. The last 2 episodes were fantastic.

• Administrator

After Life is really good then.

Funny at times, serious and poignant at others. Ricky Gervais is very good. The whole programme helps you gain perspective that if you ever thought you were the only one with problems or insecurities, you're wrong. Even if the problem you have may seem like the only one about, you can't always go around being a cunt in life to others and bringing them down to your misery. 

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Tommy said:

Anyone else watching? Watched the first episode last night. Pretty good. 

Split the posts above in to this topic as there was some chat already :) 

It's pretty poor, I think because Derek was so appalling this seems like a bit of a respite but compared to the great shows he's been involved with this isn't much good. Everything is made so obvious, the overly sentimental and moralising narrative to it all, all the subtlety that made The Office and Extras such classics has gone. I don't think he's capable of getting back to the standard he set for himself. I would say it was working without Merchant but Life's Too Short was done with him and just as bad.

Watched first episode, was pretty boring, just seemed like Gervais was playing himself, the usual people shouldn’t get offended at how offensive he tries to be. The “offensive” stuff has lost its edge now.

• Subscriber

I think the point is that it isn't meant to be overly funny in the way that The Office and Extras was or even comparable to it in a sense. This is a series about a guy in grief and learning to overcome it and find his new lust for life. Totally agree that he is just playing himself but that's fine with me!

• Administrator
11 minutes ago, Pyfish said:

I think the point is that it isn't meant to be overly funny in the way that The Office and Extras was or even comparable to it in a sense. This is a series about a guy in grief and learning to overcome it and find his new lust for life. Totally agree that he is just playing himself but that's fine with me!

Yeah not sure why it's being compared to The Office. Two totally different programmes. 

You compare the quality because they are by the same artist. Much like a musician. Not sure why it bothers people, if you enjoyed it that's all that matters. For me it's badly written and almost as bad as Derek in its lazy sentimentality, something Gervais used to rip the piss out of others for. Of course you are going to compare to what he's done prior, he contributed to one (arguably two) of the greatest TV shows ever made, this is dross. 

Just finished this series. It was a good watch. They tried to hammer the moral of the story home a bit too much in the last two episodes, but overall it was a nice and positive message. Not Gervais' best show, but very good nonetheless. Was nice to see him working with that actress from Extras again. 

Yeah I enjoyed it, some decent characters, funny at times but also heartwarming at other times.

I agree with @Tommy, they seemed to hammer the message home a bit too much in the last two episodes but nevertheless a decent watch.

The penultimate episode was very good in particular.

• 10 months later...

Archived