• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

After Life - Ricky Gervais Series

football forum

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 09/04/2020 at 17:27, SchalkeUK said:

Must be me, but I have never, ever seen anything this Guy has done that is remotely funny or watchable - a real true Amateur in every sense!

His success says otherwise. 

44 minutes ago, Tommy said:

His success says otherwise. 

It's like watching Dusseldorf or 04 and seeing great players alongside the rubbish that sometimes makes up the team and wondering how the heck we signed them in the first place despite the fact that lots of supporters love them.  Chaqu'un a son gout!

Nice to be able to respond to you young man and hope that you are staying safe!

• 2 weeks later...

2 episodes into Season 2 and it's just such a fun watch. I don't know how to describe it. It just seems so natural. Also, the Indian girl who works at the Gazette is kind of cute. @Stan can you hook me up?

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, Tommy said:

2 episodes into Season 2 and it's just such a fun watch. I don't know how to describe it. It just seems so natural. Also, the Indian girl who works at the Gazette is kind of cute. @Stan can you hook me up?

You sound like @Carnivore Chris now. 

10 hours ago, Pyfish said:

Just finished series 2. What a genius write by Gervais. Honestly can't describe it.

Urgh, I'm only 3 episodes in. I don't want to rush it. It somehow makes me feel good?! As I said, hard to describe, but this series gives me feelings that I don't have with anything else. It's just a joy to watch, even in it's sadness sometimes. 

• Subscriber
11 hours ago, Tommy said:

Urgh, I'm only 3 episodes in. I don't want to rush it. It somehow makes me feel good?! As I said, hard to describe, but this series gives me feelings that I don't have with anything else. It's just a joy to watch, even in it's sadness sometimes. 

It's getting a slating on Twitter by some people but I'm like you, it's such a weirdly feel good series but yet has these really emotional and touching scenes in it too. It's the perfect balance.

• 2 weeks later...

Watched series two. Will admit that It had its moments but am I the only one that thought it had went backwards? Like, it’s as if the first series never happened as all the progress of some characters just ended up being disregarded. The worst being Gervais, his character showed no development at all throughout the series.

I did find a few bits hilarious but the show kept repeating the same sort of scenes where Tony would talk to a character and eventually start crying over his dead wife. To be honest, it became tiring after happening for the 5/6th time.

I’ll watch season 3 out of curiosity, but I didn’t enjoy this one nearly as much as the first.

• Administrator

Have started watching this - first 2 episodes last night. 
I still enjoy it. I think if you go in to it thinking it's gonna be absolutely hilarious and insanely good then you're just setting yourself up to be disappointed. It's a comedy but it's very dry and dark. 

For something so emotive, it's quite unique for a comedy programme and quite an achievement to make people laugh about it. But that's Gervais' style if you watch his stand-up. Isn't afraid to go so close to the bone but justifies it.

Top series.

Don't want to be too critical but I thought some of the plot and story/character development was not well done in the second season. The first season seemed to fit together so nicely with everything but I didn't like some of scenes and story in the second season, it either seemed a bit forced, quick, unrealistic or just a bit too much if that makes sense.

Being critical though doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it. I'm left with similar feelings to @Tommy and @Pyfish when watching this, it's very endearing and balances the emotions very well.

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed the second season but it wasn't as good as the first. Overall, fantastic though, some of the best work Ricky has done. Great to watch given the current situation these days.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived