talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Are there a lack of quality footballers in world football?

football forum

• Subscriber

Or is it just me? Worse for me is strikers. How many real world class strikers are there at the moment? I would only have Suarez as he has done it in the CL and league.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
Just now, MUFC said:

Or is it just me? Worse for me is strikers. How many real world class strikers are there at the moment? I would only have Suarez as he has done it in the CL and league.

Kane. Mbappe. Aguero. Griezmann. Icardi (before he had his strop). 

Obviously Ronaldo and Messi but that's a given. 

• Subscriber

I think it's stupid to even suggest there's a lack of quality footballers. Some positions may have less than other parts of the pitch but there certainly isn't a lack of abundant footballers.

Honestly, I dont' think mbappe is elite yet. Close, but still very immature. Just watch his game against United to see how rough around the edges he is. The centre-forward position has basically bene replaced by wide forwards anyway.

Just now, Cicero said:

How do we differentiate elite and world class? Purely subjective?

Like I would consider Mane an elite player, but not world class. 

For me anyway, world class is the best in that position. So at any point I consider only ten players world class. 

ST
LW
RW
AM
CM
DM
RB
LB
CB
GK

• Administrator
13 minutes ago, Spike said:

Honestly, I dont' think mbappe is elite yet. Close, but still very immature. Just watch his game against United to see how rough around the edges he is. The centre-forward position has basically bene replaced by wide forwards anyway.

Of course still room for improvement. I'd definitely still have him in a squad and was more in response to @MUFC saying he'd only have Suarez.

30 minutes ago, Spike said:

For me anyway, world class is the best in that position. So at any point I consider only ten players world class. 

ST
LW
RW
AM
CM
DM
RB
LB
CB
GK

And its the term that is thrown at every other player 

For me a world class player is a player that could walk into any other side. So there's very few actual world class players.

But to answer the question posed by the thread's topic - no there's loads of really great players.

Football evolves. If you look back just 20 years it was slower and there was a lot more space on the pitch. For this reason I think it is hard to compare different generations because modern footballers have the advantage of modern sports science. 

• Subscriber
10 hours ago, Cicero said:

I'd say there is a real lack of quality RB's in the world atm. 

I mean, how many can you think of that are class going forward and class defensively?

Carvajal?

Kimmich?

Walker?

I honestly reckon Ricardo Pereira is one of the best right backs in the PL. Wouldn't call him world class but he's in the top five in the league I'd say. I think he'd start for the majority of the league.

I think nostalgia gets in the way of our opinions. We look at greats from the past and compare them to now, and nostalgia makes us believe they were so much better, when that's not true at all.

Luis Suarez is the second best striker of the 21st century, only behind the Brazilian Ronaldo.

Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo are 2 of the top 10 best players ever. You could even argue both are top 5. One of them definitely is.

Neymar may be selfish but he's still one of the most talented Brazilians since the 1990's.

And as for countries by themselves...

Alexis Sanchez is the best Chilean player to ever play the game.

Marek Hamsik is (or was not too long ago) one of the best Slovakian players since the split.

Son Heung-Min is arguably the best asian player in history.

Godin is the best Uruguayan defender since the 1950's

Let's also not forget how shite Germany were until 2010. Them and the 2006 side were building to what they are now. Some teams have gotten worse, others have gotten better.

So yeah, we are blinded by nostalgia sometimes. To suggest there aren't quality footballers these days is outrageous.

On 19/03/2019 at 13:38, Cicero said:

I'd say there is a real lack of quality RB's in the world atm. 

I mean, how many can you think of that are class going forward and class defensively?

Carvajal?

Kimmich?

Walker?

I don't rate Walker that much tbh, he's good but not world class

2 minutes ago, Blue said:

I think nostalgia gets in the way of our opinions. We look at greats from the past and compare them to now, and nostalgia makes us believe they were so much better, when that's not true at all.

Luis Suarez is the second best striker of the 21st century, only behind the Brazilian Ronaldo.

Thierry Henry 

1 minute ago, Happy Blue said:

I don't rate Walker that much tbh, he's good but not world class

And Kimmich isn't all that as well from what I've gathered. 

Like I said there is a lack of top class right backs 

On 19/03/2019 at 13:31, MUFC said:

Aguero, De Bruyne, Sane, Sterling, Bernardo, Ederson, Mendy, Fernandinho, Laporte are all world class 4 sure

Archived