talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Who Has Spent The Most Money Since 1991?

football forum

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Think I mentioned somewhere else - I knew Italian football was huge and vastly popular around late 90s/early 00s with so many iconic players, and perhaps it was because I was so young but I really didn't realise that the Milan clubs and Juve were the biggest spenders in the game around that era. 

7 minutes ago, Stan said:

Think I mentioned somewhere else - I knew Italian football was huge and vastly popular around late 90s/early 00s with so many iconic players, and perhaps it was because I was so young but I really didn't realise that the Milan clubs and Juve were the biggest spenders in the game around that era. 

I was surprised to see Blackburn on the list, TBH. 

20 hours ago, Chaaay AFC said:

I was quite impressed by how middle of the road United were on that list under Fergie, then they started shooting up as soon as he left and it's their worst period in that time-frame. xD

To be fair, they had Giggs, Scholes etc for the majority of that time period so they didn't need to buy.

• Subscriber

Manchester City, the Usain Bolt of the 30 year 100m dash. What's really interesting if you pause the years and take a look at club  success during those periods its not necessarily co-related but the late nineties and the era when RM were doing well does balance out quite well with how much they were spending.

On ‎20‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 08:21, Eco said:

I was surprised to see Blackburn on the list, TBH. 

They were the original Chelsea, the PL started and they had a rich guy come in and buy Shearer and appoint King Kenny as manager - won them a league though.

2 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

They were the original Chelsea, the PL started and they had a rich guy come in and buy Shearer and appoint King Kenny as manager - won them a league though.

I remember a long while back on another forum having a bit of a row with a Blackburn supporter who used to constantly bang on about the money Chelsea were spending until I pointed out that it was their club that started the spend big for success style... didn't go down to well, just made him worse xD

1 minute ago, Bluewolf said:

I remember a long while back on another forum having a bit of a row with a Blackburn supporter who used to constantly bang on about the money Chelsea were spending until I pointed out that it was their club that started the spend big for success style... didn't go down to well, just made him worse xD

It was very fucking irritating when Roman first came in though and started dropping crazy money. It was like the Blackburn method on crack. I hated it.

Then City just started taking the absolute piss with it...

2 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

It was very fucking irritating when Roman first came in though and started dropping crazy money. It was like the Blackburn method on crack. I hated it.

Then City just started taking the absolute piss with it...

For us it was a godsend, made sure the club got out of the financial shit it was in... we were on the brink of being in serious trouble so having him take over was a huge relief.. the spending that followed was a bit unexpected but not unwelcome and it did kick start a whole new fashion of spending that was at that time unrivaled anywhere else... some could argue that all we did was catch up with all those that had been spending big for so long before us and others might argue that they could spend big due to the revenue they turned over rather than having a millionaire just pull another huge wad of notes out of his back pocket..

As soon as the club got a mention about going in for this player or that player everyone else just gave up because they couldn't match the fees being bandied about.. Even I will admit it all got a bit silly... and then sillier still when City started doing it.. they just seem to have made wiser player choices than we did..   

Archived