talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Tenet (2020)

football forum

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/elizabeth-debicki-robert-pattinson-christopher-nolan-1203168128/

Elizabeth Debicki and Robert Pattinson Join Christopher Nolan’s Next Film (EXCLUSIVE)

Elizabeth Debicki and Robert Pattinson are on board to co-star with John David Washington in Christopher Nolan’s next movie, Variety has learned.

elizabeth-debicki-robert-pattinson.jpg?w

Nolan recently finished the script for the currently untitled film and Warner Bros. quickly dated it for July 17, 2020 — a slot the studio often reserves for the director, most recently with “Dunkirk.” Not only was that film a success at the box office, bringing in $526 million worldwide, but it also earned Nolan an Oscar nomination for director, his first in the category.

The project has become one of the more highly coveted ones in Hollywood, even though most of the industry has been kept in the dark about everything from casting to plot details. One insider described the pic as a massive action blockbuster, which will again be shown in Imax.

Nolan is also producing along with his partner Emma Thomas. Production is set to commence later this year.

Debicki is coming off a huge year, having starred in Netflix’s “Cloverfield Paradox” and “Widows” while also voicing a character in “Peter Rabbit.” She recently wrapped production on the upcoming HBO horror series “Lovecraft Country.” She is repped by CAA and United Agents.

Pattinson has a busy 2019 ahead of him with Robert Eggers’ “The Lighthouse,” “The King” at Netflix, and “Waiting for the Barbarians” all expected to bow this year. He can next be seen in Claire Denis’ “High Life.”

He is repped by WME, the Curtis Brown Group, and 3 Arts Entertainment. The Pattinson news was first reported by Collider.

Seems like Nolan wants to try something different. Solid cast though. 

• 8 months later...
  • Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 5 months later...
  • Subscriber

So they basically stop events to change them by being in the right place so that the inversion happens? I like the idea just not sure how its all supposed to tie together.

Think it’s a stupid, pigheaded idea for Nolan and Warner Bros to still be insisting it’s going to open in cinemas in early July. If you do that, it’s going to bomb. Push it back to November. 

Also, it looks like a head fuck. 

1 hour ago, Rick said:

Think it’s a stupid, pigheaded idea for Nolan and Warner Bros to still be insisting it’s going to open in cinemas in early July. If you do that, it’s going to bomb. Push it back to November. 

Also, it looks like a head fuck. 

At some point, cinemas will re-open. You can’t just say “oh well, let’s put the shit shit indie flicks on until we know it’s safe”. It’s the only way they’ll get people going in again.

4 hours ago, DeadLinesman said:

At some point, cinemas will re-open. You can’t just say “oh well, let’s put the shit shit indie flicks on until we know it’s safe”. It’s the only way they’ll get people going in again.

I was talking purely from a business perspective for the studio. This film had a production budget of 200m, add on the advertising and you’re at 500m before you can make a profit. That’s a lot to ask of the general public, how many people are gonna go to the cinema in early July? For such a tent pole film, I’d have delayed it like every other studio has done with their summer releases. 

1 hour ago, Rick said:

I was talking purely from a business perspective for the studio. This film had a production budget of 200m, add on the advertising and you’re at 500m before you can make a profit. That’s a lot to ask of the general public, how many people are gonna go to the cinema in early July? For such a tent pole film, I’d have delayed it like every other studio has done with their summer releases. 

I think they’re just saying fuck it, let’s get the films back out there. Disney cream everyone for profit, which is why we’ve seen the delay of Black Widow etc

• 2 months later...
  • The title was changed to Tenet (2020)

I haven’t seen this but I’ve always thought Nolan was a sloppy director. Big bangs, loud noise, quick cuts, and overwhelming action topped off a pinch of suspense. I’m not saying he is a bad director at all, but definitely a bloke that prefers action to subtlety. Excellent at drawing a person’s attention into being engrossed but I feel upon repeated viewing and a critical eye, his movies tend to not hold water. 

8 hours ago, Spike said:

I haven’t seen this but I’ve always thought Nolan was a sloppy director. Big bangs, loud noise, quick cuts, and overwhelming action topped off a pinch of suspense. I’m not saying he is a bad director at all, but definitely a bloke that prefers action to subtlety. Excellent at drawing a person’s attention into being engrossed but I feel upon repeated viewing and a critical eye, his movies tend to not hold water. 

I disagree. Have you seen Memento? The Prestige? There's almost no action. And those that involved action were still always quite clever to me, especially when it comes to his little games with time and deception. You make him sound like Michael Bay. xD

44 minutes ago, Tommy said:

I disagree. Have you seen Memento? The Prestige? There's almost no action. And those that involved action were still always quite clever to me, especially when it comes to his little games with time and deception. You make him sound like Michael Bay. xD

Yes I have seen those and they both over fifteen years old now, I have also seen the terrible scenes he has directed in his blockbusters, the third Batman being the most egregious and first that comes to mind.

• 2 weeks later...

Just watched it today. SPOILERS

Opening scene is fantastic, the speed, the action, the music. The music just gets you going, free me back to that scene in Interstellar where the spaceship is spinning out of control.

I get the film is difficult to follow and I did have to google after to check on some things that get mentioned but you don’t get tome to think about, but overall I thought it was fairly easy to follow. Especially when you understand that this is the third (I think) major film where he has played with the concept of time travel, with Inception (less time travel and more time), Interstellar (timetravel via gravity) and now this where the concept of time travel was essentially swimming back through a current whilst everything else is passing you.

Only things I didn’t understand were how did he come back to life after dying in the fire? (Same goes for that test too) and also when he came back to life from the fire they were still inverted which was shown by the boat travelling backwards...at the airport he went through the turnstile twice (once fighting himself, the second fighting Neil)...so technically from investing himself prior to the fire, he then went back to normal at the airport and then inverted himself again...

Overall a good film, not sure it’s one of his best mind but I really enjoyed it

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Danny said:

Just watched it today. SPOILERS

Reveal hidden contents

Opening scene is fantastic, the speed, the action, the music. The music just gets you going, free me back to that scene in Interstellar where the spaceship is spinning out of control.

I get the film is difficult to follow and I did have to google after to check on some things that get mentioned but you don’t get tome to think about, but overall I thought it was fairly easy to follow. Especially when you understand that this is the third (I think) major film where he has played with the concept of time travel, with Inception (less time travel and more time), Interstellar (timetravel via gravity) and now this where the concept of time travel was essentially swimming back through a current whilst everything else is passing you.

Only things I didn’t understand were how did he come back to life after dying in the fire? (Same goes for that test too) and also when he came back to life from the fire they were still inverted which was shown by the boat travelling backwards...at the airport he went through the turnstile twice (once fighting himself, the second fighting Neil)...so technically from investing himself prior to the fire, he then went back to normal at the airport and then inverted himself again...

Overall a good film, not sure it’s one of his best mind but I really enjoyed it

Was it good? Don't want to read spoilers...

2 minutes ago, nudge said:

Was it good? Don't want to read spoilers...

Lol yeah should have said, I really enjoyed it. Not his best film I dont think but with that said it was edge of the seat stuff for me.

Personally whilst there were moments where you get a bit lost I found it easy enough to follow, though the point of the film is to confuse so I wouldn’t worry about it too much

• Subscriber
On 26/08/2020 at 16:19, Spike said:

I wouldnt describe him this way at all, the Batman movies are the exception mind you. Have you seen Dunkirk? for a war movie he didnt rely on cheap thrills or effects at all and that movie is the definition of suspense imo. Watching it in theatres I was on the edge of my seat the entire time, top notch film.

1 hour ago, Viva la FCB said:

I wouldnt describe him this way at all, the Batman movies are the exception mind you. Have you seen Dunkirk? for a war movie he didnt rely on cheap thrills or effects at all and that movie is the definition of suspense imo. Watching it in theatres I was on the edge of my seat the entire time, top notch film.

I didn't say anything about cheap thrills or effects, and yes I have seen Dunkirk; and to say it doesn't rely on 'effects' is nonsense because the film has 10/10 sound effects, and the juxtaposition of the sound and silence in this film is one of the best parts of it.. Which to me, only reinforces my idea because it has a simple narrative (that isn't a criticism).

• Subscriber
11 minutes ago, Spike said:

I didn't say anything about cheap thrills or effects, and yes I have seen Dunkirk; and to say it doesn't rely on 'effects' is nonsense because the film has 10/10 sound effects, and the juxtaposition of the sound and silence in this film is one of the best parts of it.. Which to me, only reinforces my idea because it has a simple narrative (that isn't a criticism).

Fair, and sound effects is the big part of what makes the film what I meant to say was special effects I suppose. 

Archived