Republic of Ireland vs Georgia, 19.45
Switzerland vs Denmark, 19.45

• The title was changed to (Euro 2020 Qualifiers) Group D - Matchday 1 & 2
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47693546

A brain injury charity wants Uefa to investigate why Fabian Schar was allowed to carry on playing for Switzerland after being knocked unconscious in a Euro 2020 qualifier.

Schar collided with Georgia's Jemal Tabidze and received emergency help.

The incident occurred after 24 minutes and Newcastle United defender Schar went on to complete the game.

Headway chief executive Peter McCabe said: "What is it going to take to make football take concussion seriously?"

Schar lay unconscious on the ground after the clash of heads with Tabidze during the match in Tbilisi and Georgian player Jano Ananidze rushed to his aid.

The 27-year-old recovered quickly after further treatment from Swiss first-aiders, Swiss newspaper Blick reported, and was able to continue playing, helping set up Switzerland's second-half goals for their 2-0 victory.

"It looks awful. I can't remember anything," the Newcastle player told Blick after being shown video footage.

"I was out for a few seconds. My skull is still humming. And I've got neck ache and a bruise on my forehead. But it was worth it."

Tabidze also lay motionless after the clash, his shirt covered in blood, but he, too, recovered.

McCabe said: "How many more players will have their careers and, more importantly, their lives and long-term health put at risk by the sport's inability to follow its own protocols?

"Put simply, the decision to allow Fabian Schar to return to the field of play after suffering a clear concussion was not only incredibly dangerous, but also a clear dereliction of duty.

"The player's comments after the match are also deeply disturbing and again show the lack of awareness and understanding among players.

"Uefa must immediately launch an investigation into the incident and explain why their protocols were not followed."

Does seem crazy how he was allowed to carry on.

Schmeichel has had an absolute catastrophe of a performance tonight against Switzerland.  

Let a Xhaka shot go right in down the middle, then completely misjudged to let in the 3rd. 

Denmark were looking decent 1-0 down but the game is thoroughly dead now. 

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, Inverted said:

Schmeichel has had an absolute catastrophe of a performance tonight against Switzerland.  

Let a Xhaka shot go right in down the middle, then completely misjudged to let in the 3rd. 

Denmark were looking decent 1-0 down but the game is thoroughly dead now. 

Denmark pull two goals back!

Maybe a bit of the youth in Switzerland's team showing. Crumbled quite badly even at 3-1, though Mehmedi turned out to be a very bad sub, gave them zero outball and lost it far too easily.

Højbjerg changed the game imo, he's the only Danish midfielder that's top quality technically and can also get up and down the pitch. 

• The topic was locked
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived