• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Addictions

football forum

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 25/03/2019 at 10:54, RandoEFC said:

Used to smoke, not for many years, managed to quit that. I have phases where I play a lot of FIFA or Football Manager but wouldn't call it an addiction.

More of a bad habit than an addiction but still something I'd rather get shot of is biting my nails. Don't even notice I'm doing it.

I'm with you on that mate. Same here.

14 hours ago, Stan said:

Is it a good thing or bad thing to be in that process? 

It depends on how you do a keto diet. Because it’s a high fat diet, you’ve got to make sure you’re eating good fats and not a ton of hydrogenated fats.

It’s a high fat diet because when you’ve got super minimal carb intake your body burns fat for energy.

I don’t think I could permanently be on a diet like that, but it’s a pretty remarkable way to lose weight quickly - which I needed to do after I recovered from the crash and the resulting surgery & rehab from that

17 hours ago, Toinho said:

Yes it is an addiction. Sugar is harder to get off than many drugs. Science and research says.

Having said that, in June this year I’ll be 4 years soft drink free. (except two ginger ales when really sick last year). Not bad. 

@Vader can you try go to fruit juices or cordials and then go from there?

Tbf if I had to compare quitting cocaine to stopping eating sugar when I was on that diet, I’d say stopping me stuffing my nose with beak was infinitely harder than not eating sugar.

I’m sure it’s different per person, but I’d wager most people would find beating a drug addiction tougher. After a few days not having sugar isn’t that bad. And if/when you go back to sugar, the sweetness can actually be overpowering and jarring.

Meanwhile the cravings for drugs or cigarettes just come and go all the time for a lot of people and it’s tough mentally to tell those cravings to fuck off.

2 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Tbf if I had to compare quitting cocaine to stopping eating sugar when I was on that diet, I’d say stopping me stuffing my nose with beak was infinitely harder than not eating sugar.

I’m sure it’s different per person, but I’d wager most people would find beating a drug addiction tougher. After a few days not having sugar isn’t that bad. And if/when you go back to sugar, the sweetness can actually be overpowering and jarring.

Meanwhile the cravings for drugs or cigarettes just come and go all the time for a lot of people and it’s tough mentally to tell those cravings to fuck off.

Cannabis is addictive as fuck as well.

If I didn't have atleast a little smoke for a few days then everyone around me would be getting their head bit off. Also, I think I have ADHD or something similar(everyone tells me I do, so I must have?) and it keeps me on level. I'd be far too hyper and moody without it. It gets rid of anxiety for me as well.

One drug I think would be impossible to be addicted to is MDMA as it gets to the point where you just cannot handle binging anymore and you fuck it off. I found this with coke as well, although can see how people get hooked on that as it makes you want more and more. I'd actually say I was addicted to partying more than actual drugs. Not going out and getting on it that weekend felt as though you were missing out. I still feel like that to this day about how I miss getting on it every weekend. It was the fucking life. But after a while it absolutely fucks your head up and you need to call it day.

As for sugar, I'll never cut that out completely, impossible xD. Cans of pepsi and bags of sweets are one of life's luxuries. I do try substituting it as much as possible with fruit though. I eat shitloads of blueberries especially these days and it helps even more that I now have a parrot, as I eat all that little cunt's fruit, nuts and even sometimes sunflower seeds, etc. I also eat nuts more than crisps and barely even eat the latter these days. A bag of nuts are far nicer, mainly peanuts(albeit not actually being a nut), just the plain ones with no added salt or anything. Great snacks.

4 hours ago, Cicero said:

The same chemical in your brain that lusts for carbs is the same as a cocaine addicts. 

The worst are downers like heroin and alcohol as they are physical addictions which means you can literally die if you stop having it. Your body shuts down.

I've seen people just turn into complete fuck ups because of smack, but also alcohol and it's not nice man. My cousin is a complete fuck up these days, whereas he used to be just like all the rest of us, who enjoyed to binge and party. He ended up going in the wrong direction though unfortunately.

1 hour ago, Carnivore Chris said:

Cannabis is addictive as fuck as well.

Definitely, but it's a mental addiction, like people who're addicted to sugar or more specifically chocolate. Totally different animal to shite that causes mental AND physical addiction, like most stimulants & downers.

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

I still have cravings for a cig after eating a big meal. Last smoke was 17 years ago.

Me too and when that happens then I simply treat myself to a cigarillo sometimes.

On 05/02/2020 at 17:36, Toinho said:

Yes it is an addiction. Sugar is harder to get off than many drugs. Science and research says.

Having said that, in June this year I’ll be 4 years soft drink free. (except two ginger ales when really sick last year). Not bad. 

@Vader can you try go to fruit juices or cordials and then go from there?

Yeah think I will do that.

On 06/02/2020 at 23:58, Dr. Gonzo said:

You stopped sugar and sugar alternatives 100%? 

Some people are susceptible to addiction. We have preconditions in our make up that can be triggered or not. Addiction is often genetic. Was at a seminar for brain development last year - was very interesting. 

I have never been addicted to anything I don’t think.

1 hour ago, Toinho said:

You stopped sugar and sugar alternatives 100%? 

Some people are susceptible to addiction. We have preconditions in our make up that can be triggered or not. Addiction is often genetic. Was at a seminar for brain development last year - was very interesting. 

I have never been addicted to anything I don’t think.

I stopped sugar (not sugar alternatives though, but that was only because I was sick of only having 2 real things to be able to drink: water and coffee) while I was doing that keto diet.

Yeah, some people are more prone to addiction than others. I'm probably one of them, as I've been addicted to quite a few things in my lifetime and am still addicted to some. Granted, I'm not as prone to addictions as other people I know that still fill their nose with beak or now have moved onto shite like heroin. Thank fuck for that too, I'd probably be a total fucking deadbeat. Instead I think I'm doing pretty well for myself as a recovering cokehead xD

2 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I stopped sugar (not sugar alternatives though, but that was only because I was sick of only having 2 real things to be able to drink: water and coffee) while I was doing that keto diet.

Yeah, some people are more prone to addiction than others. I'm probably one of them, as I've been addicted to quite a few things in my lifetime and am still addicted to some. Granted, I'm not as prone to addictions as other people I know that still fill their nose with beak or now have moved onto shite like heroin. Thank fuck for that too, I'd probably be a total fucking deadbeat. Instead I think I'm doing pretty well for myself as a recovering cokehead xD

I still love ya! 

• 1 year later...

This is a weird one. Over the last 7 weeks I've been really hooked on peanut M&M's. Have control over the last 2 weeks as I've started training and diet again. But one my cheat day, I intend to have a few but can't stop and batter the whole bag. Plus it's the biggest bag. Is only once a week but it's not ideal lol.

1 hour ago, MUFC said:

This is a weird one. Over the last 7 weeks I've been really hooked on peanut M&M's. Have control over the last 2 weeks as I've started training and diet again. But one my cheat day, I intend to have a few but can't stop and batter the whole bag. Plus it's the biggest bag. Is only once a week but it's not ideal lol.

Once a week is hardly an addiction, it's more like a weekly treat. 

• Subscriber

I love my crunchies, our son was nipping up Farmfoods and asked if we needed anything, the wife gave him a list and I told him to bring me a crunchie back, he did but said they only had a pack of 9, that will do me, I've had 3 already and the wife nicked one. :P

thumbnail_20210617_140642.thumb.jpg.2bfe954b94da2e7b83b235aee21e4de2.jpg

9 hours ago, Devil said:

Once a week is hardly an addiction, it's more like a weekly treat. 

Have got it down to a weekly treat but it's still a 268g bag. Plus it's not a cheat as it's turned into a cheat day every Sunday lol. These M&M's can be the difference between the stubborn bottom 2 abs showing.

11 hours ago, MUFC said:

Have got it down to a weekly treat but it's still a 268g bag. Plus it's not a cheat as it's turned into a cheat day every Sunday lol. These M&M's can be the difference between the stubborn bottom 2 abs showing.

Nothing wrong with a cheat day whilst training anyway, I don't know what you are doing fitness wise but when I was heavily into the weights when younger I'd always allow one day of the week for a takeaway and whatever else I wanted. 

• 1 year later...

Went through a 12 month period where I was really into m&m's the peanut ones. Due to my strict diet it was only every Sunday. It be the bigger bag over 200 grams. Some Sundays I couldn't wait and would maul the bag at 8 in the morning.

Currently am hooked on mini eggs.

Archived