talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Best Foreign 11 to play in the Premier League?

football forum

• Subscriber

-------------------------------------------------------------------Schmeichel--------------------------------

Lauren-------------Carvalho------------Stam----------------Evra

------------------------Viera-----------------Alonso

Ginola----------------------Hazard---------------------------Ronaldo

--------------------------------Henry------------------------------------------

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Lauren and Carvalho? Seriously? 

Surely Neville is better at RB and players like Terry, Ferdinand, Hyppia, Vidic, Carragher are better? 

I'd even have Ashley Cole better than Evra too. 

Take Alonso out for one of Scholes, Gerrard or Lampard too. 

4 minutes ago, Stan said:

Surely Neville is better at RB and players like Terry, Ferdinand, Hyppia, Vidic, Carragher are better? 

You might wanna read the title again mate xD

• Subscriber
35 minutes ago, Stan said:

xD

It's not even the fact you're suggesting alternatives. It's the sheer number of English ones too.

So my EPL best foreign 11 is only going to have the players I watched regularly in it, so from about 2007 onwards. Also, unlike @Stan I won't put forward any Englishmen. If anyone is particularly unlucky not to be there I'll give them a mention. I'm going for pure talent. Not how long they stayed ect. We're talkin who was best on their best day.

------------------------------------------------De Gea---------------------------------------

Ivanovic----------------Kompany-------------------Vidic---------------------Evra

Robben---------------------Alonso-----------Toure-----------------------Ronaldo

----------------------------------------RVP-----------Aguero--------------------------------

Unlucky bois

Sagna RB

Vertonghen CB

Hazard RW

Modric MD

Bale LW

Drogba ST

Tevez ST

Zlatan ST (if Ibra in his prime had played EPL he'd shit this list in)

• Administrator
5 hours ago, ...Dan said:

You might wanna read the title again mate xD

4 hours ago, Dan said:

xD

It's not even the fact you're suggesting alternatives. It's the sheer number of English ones too.

I was quite drunk xD

2 hours ago, Harry said:

De Gea

Ivanovic, Staam, Van Dijk, Evra

Alonso, Toure, Viera

Ronaldo, Henry, Suarez

Subs: Hazard, Aguero, Hypia, Mascherano, Reina

44 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

GK: Van De Sar

DF: Ivanovic, Vidic, VVD, Patrice Evra

MF: Viera, Toure, Keane

FW: Ronaldo, Henry, Torres

Do the two of you honestly think that VVD is one of the 2 best CBs you've ever seen play the premier league? And that Torres/Suarez are better than the likes of  Hazard, Van Persie and Aguero?

I'm not poking fun I'm genuinely curious if that's what you really believe.

Just now, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Do the two of you honestly think that VVD is one of the 2 best CBs you've ever seen play the premier league? And that Torres/Suarez are better than the likes of  Hazard, Van Persie and Aguero?

I'm not poking fun I'm genuinely curious if that's what you really believe.

Suarez was definitely better than Van Persie and Hazard mate. He not only makes the team but was third name on the team sheet behind Ronaldo and Henry.

Aguero lost out to Henry on the central position. 

I've just realized I forgot Bergkamp though and am wishing I put a bit more thought into the defensive lineup but most of the players from the 90's don't come to the memory that quickly. 

VVD isn't the best ever in the EPL because I'd have Terry and Ferdinand at least ahead but we're excluding English players. VVDs on pitch leadership is right up there with the best though and he's a chance for individual honors this season which is rare for a defender.  

14 minutes ago, Harry said:

Suarez was definitely better than Van Persie and Hazard mate. He not only makes the team but was third name on the team sheet behind Ronaldo and Henry.

Aguero lost out to Henry on the central position. 

I've just realized I forgot Bergkamp though and am wishing I put a bit more thought into the defensive lineup but most of the players from the 90's don't come to the memory that quickly. 

VVD isn't the best ever in the EPL because I'd have Terry and Ferdinand at least ahead but we're excluding English players. VVDs on pitch leadership is right up there with the best though and he's a chance for individual honors this season which is rare for a defender.  

No one one the fucking planet can say that. It's just not true. He may have been better, he may have not. But you certainly can't Suarez is definitely better.

He scored 11, 23 and 31 goals at about the same time RVP scored 18 30 and 26. Aguero is probably on yet another level.

But it's okay, you answered my question.

• Administrator

De Gea in goal. 

Ivanovic, Kompany, Vidic and Evra as back 4.

Pires and Ronaldo as wingers. Kante and Vieira in the middle. 

Aguero and Henry up front. 

Notable mentions:

Azpilicueta, Toure, Drogba, (Peter) Schmeichel, Van Persie, Suarez, Van der Sar, Bale, Hazard. 

• Subscriber

Schmeichel

Alves, Ivanović, VVDijk, Stamm, Evra (Edited)

Hazard, De Bruyne, Silva, Ronaldo

Aguero, Ruud Van Nistelrooy

Bloody hell, no one so far has mentioned K D Bruyne, I would have that guy in my team any day!!

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

I think from most of everyone I have seen over a long time I'd pick VVD to partner Vidic just because its a double enforcment there. If you ask me someone like Terry deserves to be there because of how he played the defensive line at Chelsea and the same can be said about Rio and I see shades of that in VVD which I cant say about other defensive players I have seen play in those positions.

As for my choice of Torres over VanPersie, Aguero and Hazard I remember a time when Torres was unplayable while cutting inside when he played for us. Its a shame he never stuck to it because he was more unplayable than Suarez was and he had something Suarez didn't have which was pace out of the three aforementioned players only Hazard has that pace but I wouldn't put him on the side of Torres I'd have him on the other side and unfortunately Ronaldo would do a far better job in that position than Hazard. 

• Administrator

Going purely with how impressive they were at their best and given the quality of opposition they turned it on against, in Europe as well as domestically:

(In Goal) Edwin van der Sar, edges out Schmeichel for me because as much of a legend the latter was, he started to wobble towards the end of his time with United. van der Sar was a solid performer, one of the most consistent goalkeepers I've seen (ok, time at Juventus apart).

(The Defence) Jaap Stam, absolute man beast and his sale (as admitted by Fergie) was a colossal mistake. Ronny Johnsen, vastly underrated central defender & Virgil van Dijk, who I honestly believe could become a truly World Class defender

(The Midfield) Kevin De Bruyne, no questioning his class. Cristiano Ronaldo, no explanation needed. Bernardo Silva, quickly establishing himself as an unbelievably consistent talent, Patrick Vieira, bossed the midfield for over a decade. 

(The Attack) Eric Cantona, yes he played in the Premier League and I think his class shouldn't be overlooked. Sergio Aguero, goal record speaks for itself. Thierry Henry ... again no explanation needed here.

Based on that season, Suarez is streets ahead of van Persie in that team, but based on their entire time in the league, I think you have to take the dutchman.

That said, I'm having neither

De Gea

Ivanovic Vidic Kompany Evra

Toure Alonso Vieira

Henry Aguero Ronaldo

2 hours ago, CaaC - John said:

Schmeichel

Alves, VVDijk, Stamm, Evra

Hazard, De Bruyne, Silva, Ronaldo

Aguero, Ruud Van Nistelrooy

Bloody hell, no one so far has mentioned K D Bruyne, I would have that guy in my team any day!!

Have I missed something!?

13 minutes ago, Burning Gold said:

Based on that season, Suarez is streets ahead of van Persie in that team, but based on their entire time in the league, I think you have to take the dutchman.

That said, I'm having neither

De Gea

Ivanovic Vidic Kompany Evra

Toure Alonso Vieira

Henry Aguero Ronaldo

I agree with your second point but I feel like a lot of people forget that season where van Persie scored 37 in 48 in all comps for Arsenal. Streets ahead is bullshit.  

• Subscriber
4 hours ago, CaaC - John said:

Alves,Ivanović.

1 hour ago, Burning Gold said:

Whoops, I meant Ivanović, fucked if I know why I put Alves there as he has never played across here in the U.K.  :dam:

• Subscriber
23 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Evra over Denis Irwin?

Seriously?

I am looking at the title of the thread, Foreign players, so I took that as overseas players, not from Ireland North or South, if you look at it that way when Irwin played with United he played at Left Back then yes, I would have him in place of Evra, I was in two minds about Stamm or Vidic and 'Stam the Man Beast' edged Vidic, I could have put Roy Keane in but the title of the thread threw me off. 

I am an old fart and think Ireland (North & South) should be Ireland, England, Scotland & Wales as Great Britain. :D

• Subscriber
21 hours ago, Batard said:

Going purely with how impressive they were at their best and given the quality of opposition they turned it on against, in Europe as well as domestically:

(In Goal) Edwin van der Sar, edges out Schmeichel for me because as much of a legend the latter was, he started to wobble towards the end of his time with United. van der Sar was a solid performer, one of the most consistent goalkeepers I've seen (ok, time at Juventus apart).

(The Defence) Jaap Stam, absolute man beast and his sale (as admitted by Fergie) was a colossal mistake. Ronny Johnsen, vastly underrated central defender & Virgil van Dijk, who I honestly believe could become a truly World Class defender

(The Midfield) Kevin De Bruyne, no questioning his class. Cristiano Ronaldo, no explanation needed. Bernardo Silva, quickly establishing himself as an unbelievably consistent talent, Patrick Vieira, bossed the midfield for over a decade. 

(The Attack) Eric Cantona, yes he played in the Premier League and I think his class shouldn't be overlooked. Sergio Aguero, goal record speaks for itself. Thierry Henry ... again no explanation needed here.

Don't think you can have VDS because Pete wobbled a bit at the end. Did you see Pete in the final vs Bayern? Most players do wobble near the end of their careers.

Archived