talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Google Stadia

football forum

• Subscriber

Got announced recently and I think there's a lot of merit to it. They have one of the best, if not the best network for transferring and dealing with data across the globe and if the partnerships work right it could change a lot for people who want to play games but don't have the money to go out and buy a console.

Thoughts?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

As has been mentioned above, internet reliability is the key here but I was doing some reading online and one of the bigger concerns is ownership of the game you buy and also what happens when the service gets hacked (it will be ripe for it). Doubt too many people would be happy seeing their saves disappear or find out that some legality now has Google deem the game as a remove from server action.

Still, its early days and it looks rather promising if its for games that don't really require too much draw power. One thing the devs said in an interview was there was some 'magic' involved in dealing with lag and I'd imagine they will eventually have to start buffering the gaming experience down to the device to cut out of the lags, etc. 

I think the gaming community will stick to the traditional method for a while but may use this platform to launch demos and alphas for games they want to have tested for public response.

• 4 months later...
6 hours ago, Mel81x said:

https://techcrunch.com/2019/08/19/these-are-the-games-coming-to-google-stadia/

Look at that list. I am now curious how this all pans out for them. A $10 service fee and a decent internet connection with a controller? I suppose we'll see on launch day.

Did you catch much of the presentation yesterday? 

From what I read, it sounded like an absolute car crash. 

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Did you catch much of the presentation yesterday? 

From what I read, it sounded like an absolute car crash. 

From initial reports that I am seeing and from two people who actually work at Google it seems to be a mixed bag. Some are saying its great for certain titles and others are saying its going to totally be bad if your internet connection cant keep up with the gameplay. I think when it launches we're going to see a massive set of issues that will get sorted out over time. The fact that they can get big studios behind them is good but then you have to really see this thing in action to make a comment because not everyone is living in a world where they have access to the best internet or for that matter the best system to take advantage of all the stuff that this will probably have to drop on your system to make the magic happen too (I can't imagine them being able to do it 100% online that just seems nearly impossible).

• 2 months later...
  • Subscriber

https://www.polygon.com/2019/11/11/20959565/google-stadia-launch-game-lineup-tomb-raider

So they are going live on the 18th/19th and the lineup isn't so bad. I am very curious to see how the first set of games pan out.

• Assassin’s Creed Odyssey
  • Destiny 2: The Collection
  • Gylt
  • Just Dance 2020
  • Kine
  • Mortal Kombat 11
  • Red Dead Redemption 2
  • Rise of the Tomb Raider
  • Samurai Shodown
  • Shadow of the Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition
  • Thumper
  • Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition

That's quite a broad spectrum of games. The ones I want to see work on there are the two Tomb Raider games.

• Subscriber

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/11/google-stadia-might-be-gamings-future-but-in-the-present-it-looks-rough/ 

Went live and wasn't all its cracked up to be. I give it three years before Google ditches it and M$ does something similar with far better options and a better experience too.

I can see casual gamers getting into it but only if Google did some kind of blanket subscription and threw in YouTube Prime and Music along with it to make the deal like a bundle versus just a Stadia purchase. As it stands though, you're not going to get any AAA titles from the big three players in this market and I doubt you ever will either. 

29 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/11/google-stadia-might-be-gamings-future-but-in-the-present-it-looks-rough/ 

Went live and wasn't all its cracked up to be. I give it three years before Google ditches it and M$ does something similar with far better options and a better experience too.

I can see casual gamers getting into it but only if Google did some kind of blanket subscription and threw in YouTube Prime and Music along with it to make the deal like a bundle versus just a Stadia purchase. As it stands though, you're not going to get any AAA titles from the big three players in this market and I doubt you ever will either. 

Think Microsoft announced a Cloud variant a few days ago as well. 

As for Stadia, while parts of it sound ok, I had a feeling it was going to be tough. 

On 24/03/2019 at 10:55, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Sounds great on paper (and Google will have a better infrastructure than those before it), but this will still depend on your Internet connection and how much it'll actually cost. 

I'm interested but still have doubts about this. 

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Think Microsoft announced a Cloud variant a few days ago as well. 

As for Stadia, while parts of it sound ok, I had a feeling it was going to be tough. 

I think its possible that they'll run this for a year to see how it goes and slowly pull the plug. I get what they are trying to do and they should be commended on it but I can't see them raking in serious money here just because you can't beat hardware natively over a wired-connection even if you have a great internet connection. What will be interesting is to see who actually adopts it now because I am sure there are tonnes of people out there who don't want to fork money over for a console but would gladly do the a-la carte option to play some of the games they have put up with a Stadia controller for a reduced price of course. Whether Google goes that route is a whole different story and what their end-goal here is really ambiguous too. They can't be in the e-Sports market with this so their core revenue has to come from game sales which I can't see lasting very long considering most of the big publishers use the Xmas period to launch titles on platforms they know are going to bring in the most money. 

• Subscriber
19 minutes ago, Rab said:

Sounds like a Google product to me. Oh wait...

It all really boils down to adoption. Its not like others haven't tried in this space with the most notable being nVidia Shield. If they can bridge the gap and let users bring their own hardware to the table it probably merits a longer life-span but I can't see them allowing that while having to give out a massive infrastructure to the user-base with no ROI. Like I said before, its commendable that they went live as soon as they did but this seems like another project which is the kick-starter for something much bigger by them and some are even saying this could just be Google looking towards being the infra-provider to another major dev house so that they can use their hosting services to reach a wider audience (Sony was the name thrown in but I doubt they'd partner with Google unless Microsoft's offering turns out to be much better). 

• 4 months later...
  • Subscriber

Google Stadia is now free for the next two months for users in 14 countries (both new and existing subscribers). Applicable in Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Netherlands, Norway, Spain, Sweden, United Kingdom, United States.

6 hours ago, nudge said:

Google Stadia is now free for the next two months for users in 14 countries (both new and existing subscribers). Applicable in Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Netherlands, Norway, Spain, Sweden, United Kingdom, United States.

Nice gesture, but probably doing it out of desperation more than anything as Stadia has basically flopped massively so far. 

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Nice gesture, but probably doing it out of desperation more than anything as Stadia has basically flopped massively so far. 

Oh I wouldn't know, just stumbled upon this and thought it might be useful for someone xD

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

But you can play Candy Crush for free on it now!! 

• 7 months later...
  • Subscriber

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/11/stadia-game-streaming-will-come-to-ios-via-web-browser/

Wow I thought it would have been dead by now. Seems they want to go the browser route. Probably happy that Epic did their dirty work by trying to find a loophole. Still, I really wonder how good it will actually be.

• Subscriber
7 hours ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

This thing is still going? 

I cant see what they've really done since it launched honestly. And they are apparently going to have Cyberpunk on the wire soon as well. Interesting.

2 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

I cant see what they've really done since it launched honestly. And they are apparently going to have Cyberpunk on the wire soon as well. Interesting.

All I've seen about Stadia is adverts on YouTube pissing me off. Didn't even think it was still going after Google basically abandoned it. 

• Subscriber
Just now, Bluebird Hewitt said:

All I've seen about Stadia is adverts on YouTube pissing me off. Didn't even think it was still going after Google basically abandoned it. 

I thought it would be dead by now but they are still promoting it. The rumor is that the only way its making it to Apple is via a browser and not just any browser but Safari only.

• Subscriber
18 hours ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Same here. Constant adverts for it in the last week or so.

• 2 months later...

Archived