• Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Subscriber
3 hours ago, Tommy said:

Updated 2020 livery.

3a7npGL.png

ysyXdCL.jpg

Updated from looking like a tub of Aquafresh to a tub of Sensodyne. 

In all seriousness, looks decent. Reminds me of Brawn. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Administrator
13 minutes ago, Eco said:

How do people feel about this? Sad? End of an era? or Good riddance? 

Feels like end of an era but at the same time a chance of a fresh start if they can get investment and be competitive again...

Maybe one of those 'one door closes, another door opens' kind of thing

1 minute ago, nudge said:

For me it's a sad end of an era and hoping that Americans don't fuck it up even more :ph34r:

Ha - how has American fucked up F1 at all? My only knowledge of American's involvement in F1 is via sponsors and Zak Brown.

5 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Definitely feels like the end of an era. Claire said that the new owners are going to keep the Williams name, but we'll see for how long. 

:( 

Damn - I can't even imagine how hard that message is for her to say without crying...

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Eco said:

Ha - how has American fucked up F1 at all? My only knowledge of American's involvement in F1 is via sponsors and Zak Brown.

It was more or less a joke... It was meant to imply that you need experienced people with knowledge and a wide range of skills to successfully run a racing team, especially in F1 - so I hope that the private investment group that bought Williams are serious about assembling a proper team and putting the right people in charge. My worry is incompetent group of people (i.e. with no background in sports and motor racing) only interested in profit taking over and then selling it piece by piece as long as it has valuable assets. As a default, I treat private equity/investment firms with a lot of skepticism, so I worry about the long-term future of the team. Not that it looked rosy anyway mind.

As for Americans in F1, I'm not particularly a fan of Liberty Media's approach, but that's a different topic altogether...

• Subscriber
8 minutes ago, Tommy said:

I wonder who they're going to appoint as their next team principal.

It's rumoured Simon Roberts will act as the team principal ad interim, until the new owners find the replacement. No idea who that might be, definitely keen to find out. 

• Administrator

The madcap race rather deflected attention from another defining moment in F1 history, the departure of the Williams family from the team founded by Sir Frank back in the 1970s.

The story is well known. The years of struggle, operating out of a phone box at one stage money was so tight, before success came when he joined forces with the brilliant engineer Patrick Head and founded a new team, the accident which left him paralysed from the shoulders down, the periods of domination with Honda and then Renault engines.

Seven drivers' championships, nine constructors' titles, 114 Grand Prix victories, the third most successful team in the history of the sport behind Ferrari and McLaren.

This was very much a family team. Frank's late wife Ginny was instrumental in keeping things going, even keeping her husband alive, after his accident, and in recent years daughter Claire took the reins when Sir Frank was no longer well enough to play an active role.

But the team began to lose its way. Slowly they slid down the grid. Financial struggles grew. Earlier this year, a decision was made to put the team up for sale. Last month, they were bought by an investment group, and before this weekend's race the family decided to stand aside.

Monza was an emotional and poignant weekend. Not just for Claire Williams, who was clearly fighting back the tears in a video message posted on social media, but for everyone in F1.

Claire was presented with a front wing signed by the entire team. Before the race, she started George Russell's car and then waved team-mate Nicholas Latifi out of the garage.

"To say I am emotional would be an understatement," she said, "but I am here and would like to enjoy the moment. It feels like the right time to bow out.

"We have had a great time in it and I think my father leaves a great legacy behind. I will miss the people. We have great relationships up and down the paddock."

The feeling is mutual and an entire sport paid tribute to Williams' achievement, none better than one of their great historical rivals.

"All of us at McLaren pay tribute to Sir Frank and the Williams family for their indelible legacy to Formula 1," the team wrote on social media. "While it is the end of one era, their inspirational achievements will live on through the name of the team."

Amen to that.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/54051449

• 1 month later...

Archived