Join in on the discussion, prediction leagues and competitions today! Sign up takes no longer than 5 minutes.

Cannabis

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer Hired As Permanent Man Utd Boss

2 minutes ago, Spike said:

Because they got regular playing time for the first time ever.

Isco was already a starter under Rafa Benitez. Carvajal too if I recall correctly.

They were improving with time and while just a theory, im sure his training sessions have helped them. The point is though they improved with him. Ascencio began to hit the scene too.

Its just a personal hunch but he's good at developing players but his tactics aren't that good.

41 minutes ago, Redcanuck said:

Always said David Gill was a big loss.  He should have been persuaded to stay on for a couple of years after Fergie left.  Gill knew the football side of things as well as the business end, and while Woodward makes more more money for the club and the Glazers, he isn't as astute as Gill regarding the football end of things.  The problem is that the Glazers like  money more than they like football.

Yep, it is a club with problems both on and off the pitch. Pretty much has been like that since SAF left. Glad you agree about Gill. I dont often listen to what Gary Neville has to say these days, but I caught his "You dont stop building 3/4 into building a house" quote. That does make sense, but as @SirBalon quite rightly points out, can Manchester United afford more speculative errors ?

Maybe they figure they can roll the dice one more time if they pull the plug on Jose's spending?

2 hours ago, Eco said:

Not sure of that either. At some point the blame comes on the team(s) that continue to employ him. 

hahahahhaah.    this is like saying - he's a madman.  if you hire him you'll be shooting yourself on the foot - 

i'll bet that within 2 or 3 years time we'll be seeing Jose in PSG.

28 minutes ago, Marc said:

Zidane must be the most underrated manager in the history of the game. He won 3 CL in a row and in my opinion didn''t have the best team in europe in any of them 3 seasons

2016/17 Real were undoubtedly the best in the world. No team wins the League and CL double without being the best. 

I actually rate Zidane a little bit. He's developed an effective playing style and had the midfield operate way better than it has under Ancelotti and Rafa. 

Unbelievable levels of disrespect being shown to the only manager to win three consecutive Champions League/European Cup titles.

I actually don't think United's squad is that bad. It's not at the level of City's, but there's quality in there and Zidane or any other high level manager should be able to guide them into the top 4 this season and build from there.

Just now, Burning Gold said:

Unbelievable levels of disrespect being shown to the only manager to win three consecutive Champions League/European Cup titles.

I actually don't think United's squad is that bad. It's not at the level of City's, but there's quality in there and Zidane or any other high level manager should be able to guide them into the top 4 this season and build from there.

It does remind a bit of the stick guardiola use to get because he was at the biggest clubs. I'm sure any manager who wins 3 champions leagues in a row has to be pretty decent.

2 minutes ago, Burning Gold said:

I agree, however Zidane did have a few components in his favor. Carvajal and Marcelo for one. Contributed massively to his style of play, along with Modric. 

He can't find that at United currently as there is so much dead weight. Will need proper backing. 

1 hour ago, The Liquidator said:

Yep, it is a club with problems both on and off the pitch. Pretty much has been like that since SAF left. Glad you agree about Gill. I dont often listen to what Gary Neville has to say these days, but I caught his "You dont stop building 3/4 into building a house" quote. That does make sense, but as @SirBalon quite rightly points out, can Manchester United afford more speculative errors ?

Maybe they figure they can roll the dice one more time if they pull the plug on Jose's spending?

Its true they can't afford many more speculative errors on the football side of things, but the financial end of things is in fine fiddle and will be for the foreseeable future.  

It's not Mourinho spending that is the issue, the Board is not going to pay big money for players that they feel are not much better than what we have, especially if they are getting up in age and have no sell on value. The money is said to be there for the right players,  just not the players want. Suposedly United bid £100m for Varane and some club bid £90m for Koulibaly, I suspect that was us, unless it was Chelsea.   

during the time of Sir Alex, United never cared about any MARQUEE signings.   Sir Alex had the very core intact; beckham, giggs, keane, scholes,neville and co ... Sir Alex only bought players that he thinks is needed.    Berbatov, Ruud, RVP,  Cole, Yorke.    and what's good about Sir Alex's style of coaching is he is like a father figure to everyone and he knows how to develop players.    Mostly all of United's greats were a product of Sir Alex's tutelage, Rooney, Ronaldo and those "core players" that i've mentioned.

now with Jose, everything is in shambles.   

how i wish some reporter can find Arsene Wenger and ask him to comment about that recent press conference of Jose....

2 minutes ago, bozziovai said:

during the time of Sir Alex, United never cared about any MARQUEE signings.   Sir Alex had the very core intact; beckham, giggs, keane, scholes,neville and co ... Sir Alex only bought players that he thinks is needed.    Berbatov, Ruud, RVP,  Cole, Yorke.    and what's good about Sir Alex's style of coaching is he is like a father figure to everyone and he knows how to develop players.    Mostly all of United's greats were a product of Sir Alex's tutelage, Rooney, Ronaldo and those "core players" that i've mentioned.

now with Jose, everything is in shambles.   

how i wish some reporter can find Arsene Wenger and ask him to comment about that recent press conference of Jose....

That is absolute nonsense. He had to be convinced to sign players like Cristiano Ronaldo, and he signed Bebe without even seeing him play. The guy was an all time great but he wasn't perfect. He converted Alan Smith in a midfielder for some reason, he signed Kleberson, Djemba Djemba, Veron, Forlan, so on and so forth.

• Upvote 1

Can't really argue against Veron, one of the greatest midfielders around at the time. Remember him scoring a few raspers too, just didn't work out long term.

Forlán was also another mishap for Fergie because he was a top striker and didn't give him a chance. 

For me the issue surrounding Mourinho is how nothing negative is ever his fault including defeats.  It's always someone else's fault where when he's really pushed its even his players fault.

1 hour ago, Redcanuck said:

Its true they can't afford many more speculative errors on the football side of things, but the financial end of things is in fine fiddle and will be for the foreseeable future.  

It's not Mourinho spending that is the issue, the Board is not going to pay big money for players that they feel are not much better than what we have, especially if they are getting up in age and have no sell on value. The money is said to be there for the right players,  just not the players want. Suposedly United bid £100m for Varane and some club bid £90m for Koulibaly, I suspect that was us, unless it was Chelsea.   

Well I can understand the position United are alleged to want to improve. I have been telling you for years none of your defenders are not good enough. Jose will want to protect them with two dogs infront. I felt he was doing that last season with Matic and Pogba. Now Matic is back I expect Fred will be his new partner, at least you would think that is what Pogba hopes.

Anyway, Zidane.... Yes or No?

-------------------------

Koulibaly:- Wasnt us, that boat sailed when we said no to 40-50m, only for him to sign another new contract.

15 minutes ago, The Liquidator said:

Well I can understand the position United are alleged to want to improve. I have been telling you for years none of your defenders are not good enough. Jose will want to protect them with two dogs infront. I felt he was doing that last season with Matic and Pogba. Now Matic is back I expect Fred will be his new partner, at least you would think that is what Pogba hopes.

Anyway, Zidane.... Yes or No?

-------------------------

Koulibaly:- Wasnt us, that boat sailed when we said no to 40-50m, only for him to sign another new contract.

It is expected that Mourinho will revert to what worked last year Matic and Fred covering the CB's who will probably be Bailey and Smalling.

I think its the media that are pushing Zidane, I don't know much about his management abilities other than he has won three straight Champions League.  It is probably a punt we can't afford to make, because we could be in the same spot 2 or 3 years from now if it dosent work. May be best to let Mourinho finish out the year and go full out for Pochettino in the summer.

£40-50m unfortunately isn't going to get you a top CB anymore, your going to have to pay double that.

Mourinho lost the plot with that press conference. Absolutely embarrassing. 

With that said, this United squad is gash. Some poor signings from Mourinho himself, but others have been at the club for years (Smalling, Phil Jones, Martial) stealing a living.

12 hours ago, Spike said:

That is absolute nonsense. He had to be convinced to sign players like Cristiano Ronaldo, and he signed Bebe without even seeing him play. The guy was an all time great but he wasn't perfect. He converted Alan Smith in a midfielder for some reason, he signed Kleberson, Djemba Djemba, Veron, Forlan, so on and so forth.

of course Sir Alex has made some "wrong" signings in his career, but that's how the life of a manager goes.   Those players you've mentioned were the hot item in their era and as a coach you would want to sign them, sadly it didn't work out the way it should be.

12 hours ago, Spike said:

Agreed. 

I read Ferguson's book and whilst it was 99% amazing he did come out with some absolute bollocks. The main subject I remember laughing at was him saying was that "top clubs" should be able to bypass EU laws when it comes to signing under-age players as they have "better scouting departments" and therefore make less mistakes. 

16 hours ago, Marc said:

Zidane must be the most underrated manager in the history of the game. He won 3 CL in a row and in my opinion didn''t have the best team in europe in any of them 3 seasons

Agreed. I think Uniteds squad is pretty good too. Only 1 or 2 positions in the 11 to modify to improve the cohesion. 

Zidane could make them consistently excellent pretty easily imo. Still some way behind an on song city but solid second. 

3 hours ago, Cannabis said:

Agreed. 

I read Ferguson's book and whilst it was 99% amazing he did come out with some absolute bollocks. The main subject I remember laughing at was him saying was that "top clubs" should be able to bypass EU laws when it comes to signing under-age players as they have "better scouting departments" and therefore make less mistakes. 

He said quite a lot of bollocks actually. I think there was something like 40 factual errors. I remember he said utd were 12 points arsenal or something like that in 2003 where as in  fact it was only 8 with a game in hand.

15 hours ago, SirBalon said:

For me the issue surrounding Mourinho is how nothing negative is ever his fault including defeats.  It's always someone else's fault where when he's really pushed its even his players fault.

Yeah but when he wins its all because of him. What a tosser

4 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Yeah but when he wins its all because of him. What a tosser

His issues with individual players that don't subscribe to his methods of "war against the world" has been ongoing for years.  Even in his first stint at Chelsea Claude Makélélé for example hasn't spoken too knindly about him ever since and at Real Madrid it's pretty well known all the internal problems he had with certain players where the squad ended having splinter groups, not one, not two, but a number of them that caused mayhem everywhere.

I think it's pretty clear to everyone that Mourinho needs sectioning. 

9 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

I think it's pretty clear to everyone that Mourinho needs sectioning. 

not sure you can say that these days mate. might offend anyone suffering from real mental health issues. *nibble*

4 minutes ago, Stan said:

not sure you can say that these days mate. might offend anyone suffering from real mental health issues. *nibble*

It wasn't meant to offend anyone mate. He's showing signs (big signs) of someone who is struggling mentally. I should know, I've been taking medication for anxiety and depression for the past 8 months. 

Maybe saying he needs sectioning was over the top but he's absolutely showing signs of someone who is struggling. 

As I said in a previous post, as funny as it may seem to some because it's Mourinho, it's really not funny the signs he is showing. 

8 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

It wasn't meant to offend anyone mate. He's showing signs (big signs) of someone who is struggling mentally. I should know, I've been taking medication for anxiety and depression for the past 8 months. 

Maybe saying he needs sectioning was over the top but he's absolutely showing signs of someone who is struggling. 

As I said in a previous post, as funny as it may seem to some because it's Mourinho, it's really not funny the signs he is showing. 

there was white text there :P

I think Mourinho's biggest downfall is that he plays 2006 football at a time when Liverpool and Spurs are a great watch. It's embarassing for a club of that recent history. If he was taking over before Ferguson's success then a small club like Man Utd might be buzzing and not give a shit.

The transfer issue is overrated.Man Utd are 2nd or 3rd pick in the draft. The best players don't want to play for them. That's why they sign the likes of Matic, Lukaku, Pogba and a load of these £30m signings no one has ever heard of. 

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Harvsky said:

I think Mourinho's biggest downfall is that he plays 2006 football at a time when Liverpool and Spurs are a great watch. It's embarassing for a club of that recent history. If he was taking over before Ferguson's success then a small club like Man Utd might be buzzing and not give a shit.

The transfer issue is overrated.Man Utd are 2nd or 3rd pick in the draft. The best players don't want to play for them. That's why they sign the likes of Matic, Lukaku, Pogba and a load of these £30m signings no one has ever heard of. 

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

They are second or third because they’re not that exciting compared to those others like City &co.... They still have the deepest pockets, and if they pick a manager that’ll position them to be seen as an attractive prospect they will rise back to the top once more....

They were a bit silly not to back Jose in the summer tho imho, as i dont get why they would have cold feet from the end of last year as if what’s happened was unexpected or they thought the football would be different.... he’s the one you picked and who’s contract you extended. May as well back him.

6 minutes ago, Harry said:

They are second or third because they’re not that exciting compared to those others like City &co.... They still have the deepest pockets, and if they pick a manager that’ll position them to be seen as an attractive prospect they will rise back to the top once more....

They were a bit silly not to back Jose in the summer tho imho, as i dont get why they would have cold feet from the end of last year as if what’s happened was unexpected or they thought the football would be different.... he’s the one you picked and who’s contract you extended. May as well back him.

They have backed him, I mean, how much more money does he actually want? 

Woodward and Co might have actually sat down and told him... "ya know what Jose, you've spent nearly £500m in the 4 transfer windows since you've been here... now go and utilise those players and stop fucking whining?"

• Upvote 2

I agree. Mourinho should be doing better, however if the board were never going to get his targets then why extend his contract? 

This either means they somehow still believe in Mourinho to get the best out of this squad, or Woodward really has fuck all idea about football and that Mourinho is a "now" manager. He isn't one to build a team that will go on and achieve future success. 

There is a reason he is the best one off game manager on the planet.