The better place to talk football.

Round 03: China

football forum

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
1 minute ago, Eco said:

Haha - all those videos @Tommy posted are of Toro Rosso drivers having a very difficult time. 

To be fair I would say that they, McLaren and Sauber made the biggest progress (outside of top 3)since the last season so far... A bit unlucky to change Kvyat's PU as a precaution today but better than to risk an engine failure during the race. Albon's brake fire was no big deal; it just happened because due to being called in to the weighbridge unexpectedly he had no time to cool off his brakes. 

The other videos in the RB & Toro Rosso thread are from earlier races/pre-season :P 

1 minute ago, nudge said:

To be fair I would say that they, McLaren and Sauber made the biggest progress (outside of top 3)since the last season so far... A bit unlucky to change Kvyat's PU as a precaution today but better than to risk an engine failure during the race. Albon's brake fire was no big deal; it just happened because due to being called in to the weighbridge unexpectedly he had no time to cool off his brakes. 

The other videos in the RB & Toro Rosso thread are from earlier races/pre-season :P 

xD Understood. 

I did watch the practice last night. Very interesting to watch and try and grasp what the hell is going on. 

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Eco said:

xD Understood. 

I did watch the practice last night. Very interesting to watch and try and grasp what the hell is going on. 

I enjoy having practice on the laptop in the background as well; just don't pay too much attention to it as teams run different programs during the practice sessions in order to find the best setup and balance for the car etc. Second session is a bit more representative as the teams usually run qualification/race simulations during it. 

Also worth mentioning that the teams and drivers also use different compound tyres so their speed depends on it as well.

5 minutes ago, nudge said:

I enjoy having practice on the laptop in the background as well; just don't pay too much attention to it as teams run different programs during the practice sessions in order to find the best setup and balance for the car etc. Second session is a bit more representative as the teams usually run qualification/race simulations during it. 

Also worth mentioning that the teams and drivers also use different compound tyres so their speed depends on it as well.

Yes - they spoke briefly about this during the documentary, so that's something I'll need to learn more about. 

So during qualifying, there are other cars on the track? That was something they showed on the documentary which I thought was strange...

• Subscriber
43 minutes ago, Eco said:

Yes - they spoke briefly about this during the documentary, so that's something I'll need to learn more about. 

So during qualifying, there are other cars on the track? That was something they showed on the documentary which I thought was strange...

Regarding tyre compounds - Pirelli supplies dry weather tyres of five different compounds throughout the season (C1 to C5), only three are selected to appear on each race weekend and those are then labelled hard (white), medium (yellow) and soft (red). Soft tyres are the fastest but they also wear down much quicker than medium or hard ones, not to mention that the abrasiveness and temperature of the track surface varies from circuit to circuit, some drivers manage their tyre wear better than some others, and also some cars seem to work better on some compounds etc. So there's a lot of tyre-related strategy, as you can imagine!

Regarding qualifying - yes, there are other cars on track during qualifying so it's important for the team to release their car from the garage at the best possible time and at the best possible spot so that there would be sufficient gaps between cars and it wouldn't be stuck in traffic on its flying lap! There are three stages of qualifying (Q1, Q2 and Q3); at the end of Q1 the five slowest drivers are eliminated and fifteen advance to Q2 where again the slowest five are eliminated and the remaining ten progress to Q3 where the pole position/starting order for the top ten grid places is decided. 

There are plenty of more regulations and nuances (e.g. the top ten drivers must start the race on the set of tyres they used during their fastest lap time in Q2 so here comes tyre strategy again for example) but the above covers the basics I think.

EDIT: Here some additional info re tyres and track information for Chinese GP

Pirelli-China.jpg

d200b-15548098726990-800.jpg

4 hours ago, nudge said:

Regarding qualifying - yes, there are other cars on track during qualifying so it's important for the team to release their car from the garage at the best possible time and at the best possible spot so that there would be sufficient gaps between cars and it wouldn't be stuck in traffic on its flying lap! There are three stages of qualifying (Q1, Q2 and Q3); at the end of Q1 the five slowest drivers are eliminated and fifteen advance to Q2 where again the slowest five are eliminated and the remaining ten progress to Q3 where the pole position/starting order for the top ten grid places is decided. 

There are plenty of more regulations and nuances (e.g. the top ten drivers must start the race on the set of tyres they used during their fastest lap time in Q2 so here comes tyre strategy again for example) but the above covers the basics I think.

Seriously, this is brilliant and very helpful. I'm sure as I watch it this weekend a lot of this will make more sense. 

As for the bolded part, you are saying that you start with 20 drivings for Q1, the slowest 5 get eliminated, so Q2 has only 15 drivers, again having 5 being eliminated, leaving 10 drivers for Q3 and to determine who gets the top 10 spots? However, come race day, ALL 20 drivers start the race? 

• Subscriber
30 minutes ago, Eco said:

Seriously, this is brilliant and very helpful. I'm sure as I watch it this weekend a lot of this will make more sense. 

As for the bolded part, you are saying that you start with 20 drivings for Q1, the slowest 5 get eliminated, so Q2 has only 15 drivers, again having 5 being eliminated, leaving 10 drivers for Q3 and to determine who gets the top 10 spots? However, come race day, ALL 20 drivers start the race? 

Yes that's exactly how it works! Qualifying is basically there to determine how the starting grid for the race will look like. 

Just now, nudge said:

Yes that's exactly how it works! Qualifying is basically there to determine how the starting grid for the race will look like. 

Yeah - I understand that, but just assumed each car did 3 laps or so, and they rank the cars on their fastest lap and be done with it. Didn't know that their were stages. 

3 minutes ago, Eco said:

Yeah - I understand that, but just assumed each car did 3 laps or so, and they rank the cars on their fastest lap and be done with it. Didn't know that their were stages. 

The old qualifying format was like that. 1 hour and every car was allowed to do 12 laps. 

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Eco said:

Qualifying formats changed a lot throughout the history of Formula 1. This is the current one but they are considering changing it again haha. Personally I quite like it...

Just now, nudge said:

Qualifying formats changed a lot throughout the history of Formula 1. This is the current one but they are considering changing it again haha. Personally I quite like it...

And I assume when I'm watching it that Q2 will immediately follow Q3, And Q1 right after Q2. 

How long should it all take, an hour and a half? 

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, Eco said:

And I assume when I'm watching it that Q2 will immediately follow Q3, And Q1 right after Q2. 

How long should it all take, an hour and a half? 

1 hour altogether including short breaks between the periods.

Q1 = 18 minutes

Q2 = 15 minutes

Q3 = 12 minutes

4 minutes ago, nudge said:

:D at least it's weekend...

Very true. And outside of the largest golf tournament in the world being this weekend and GoT, it's a slow weekend...which means I can take some naps if need be. 

GoT? Oh shit. That came quickly :o 

Daniil Kvyat is a big Game of Thrones fan, to stay on topic :4_joy: He was watching Game Of Thrones when he got the phone call that he lost his Red Bull seat to Max Verstappen. 

If you want to know who I'm talking about: 

Just now, Eco said:

It's taken them 2+ years to finish this upcoming and final season. If you ask me, it came about quite slowly. 

Yea, but I was expecting it later this year. Then again, time flies. I feel like New Years Eve was yesterday, and it's April already. 

• The topic was unpinned

Archived