talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Should FA Import Refs From Abroad?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • The title was changed to Should FA Import Refs From Abroad?
  • Subscriber

I think improving a country's own officials is far more beneficial long-term than trying to build a quasi-transfer system where you bring in refs from other countries. Plus, the FA would never approve of it since they'd have to figure out how to get those coaches accredited and trained in their systems and then you're going to have a backlash from referees who have lost their jobs.

Not to mention it would create a situation similar to the transfer market inflation that players currently have and who is going to foot that bill? The clubs? That could be perceived as bias based on amounts paid and that then creates another logistics nightmare.

8 hours ago, MUFC said:

General question as our officials are struggling these last few years. Would it be far-fetched, to bring in refs from around Europe? 

I don't think the refs are better abroad or they outs are struggling any more than before

It only feels like our referees are worse than referees outside of England because they're what we have to deal with and we're not happy with the standard but in reality that standard probably is what you get elsewhere.

One thing I'd suggest, which doesn't get mentioned, is that maybe they can get into better shape so they keep up with play a lot better. Especially the linesmen.

2 hours ago, MUFC said:

Did we have any at the world cup?

That was something to do with a referee going to Saudi Arabia. We would have had one otherwise.  English referees are generally regarded quite highly. Fans just have unrealistic expectations of a human refereeing a game.

8 hours ago, Mel81x said:

I think improving a country's own officials is far more beneficial long-term than trying to build a quasi-transfer system where you bring in refs from other countries. Plus, the FA would never approve of it since they'd have to figure out how to get those coaches accredited and trained in their systems and then you're going to have a backlash from referees who have lost their jobs.

Not to mention it would create a situation similar to the transfer market inflation that players currently have and who is going to foot that bill? The clubs? That could be perceived as bias based on amounts paid and that then creates another logistics nightmare.

There is a actually quite lot done to constantly improve standards. Referees are assessed every game. There are reviews of decisions. There is a points system so a lot is done. A lot of other countries don't do as much as we do.

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

There is a actually quite lot done to constantly improve standards. Referees are assessed every game. There are reviews of decisions. There is a points system so a lot is done. A lot of other countries don't do as much as we do.

Yeah and I am saying that if you bring refs in from outside you'd have to get them up to speed on all the standards and everything else required to get them to even referee a game which may not even work out in the longer run as opposed to using the people you already have.

6 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

Yeah and I am saying that if you bring refs in from outside you'd have to get them up to speed on all the standards and everything else required to get them to even referee a game which may not even work out in the longer run as opposed to using the people you already have.

Ah fair enough. I was just pointing out that a lot is already done.

2 hours ago, MUFC said:

Did we have any at the world cup?

If that’s the gold standard... then I don’t think importing refs will do anything. Plenty of shite decisions with the World Cup referees - I think the World Cup also proved that a bad ref with VAR is still a bad ref, they just take longer to reach the wrong decision.

21 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

Are referees actually that bad? I’d definitely argue that they’re not, from what I’ve seen. 

I agree. People only think they are bad because they only look at what they do wrong. People rarely go wow that was a great offside decision there they only remember the ones they get wrong. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Might not be the ideal thread, and don't want to be one of those people who only cry arses about it when it goes against my team, but do these angry Evertonians have a point?

So I think the issue here is that if the referee deals with the incident and gives a yellow, retrospective action can't be taken. Fair enough those are the rules, but...

Why if you stamp on someone in the game and the referee sees it, you might get away with a yellow card sometimes, but if the referee doesn't see it, then it is a 3 match ban? In this instance, surely the rule needs to be changed about if you got a yellow and it should have been a red, you should be able to get a retrospective ban? I can't think of any reason why getting a yellow should protect you from receiving a 3 match ban just because the referee made the wrong call or 'bottled' giving you a red card in real time.

The other issue that still exists is diving. What has happened to the retrospective action on diving? Does that panel still meet after every weekend of fixtures? Because hasn't it been over a year now since the last retrospective ban? I don't know which is worse, this rule still existing where a bookable offence suddenly becomes a two match ban if the referee didn't see it, or that they may have just abolished it without telling anyone.

Archived