talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Comic Books & Graphic Novels

football forum

• Subscriber

Anyone still read them? What are your favourite ones?

I really enjoyed comics as a child but completely forgot about it afterwards, have been slowly getting back into it in the past few months and I'm really starting to appreciate the medium. I like the visual approach to storytelling, all the different artworks from various artists and a tremendous diversity of content; it's amazing.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber

As I kid I mostly read the Disney comics (Donald Duck and Mickey Mouse), Lucky Luke, Asterix, and Tintin. Then later discovered the more mature ones in the Heavy Metal magazine; those completely blew my mind back then... After that, I didn't really read any comics until last year when I discovered the "new" Darth Vader series:

500?cb=20190223230434

And it was amazing. The artwork, the continuous storyline and the depth of it all is just incredible. I pretty much binged all 25 issues in one sitting. After that I ventured into other Star Wars universe comics but none has impressed me as much as the Vader one... Now the new Vader miniseries (Vader: Dark Visions) is being published and I'm enjoying those as well; very interesting take on the character and some good stories so far.

500?cb=20190301042336

Other than that, I'm mostly into sci-fi and my most favourite comic currently is Saga, a weird sci-fi-fantasy-romance-war-adventure-space opera epic that has magic, profanity, robots, intergalactic bounty hunters, nudity, endless warfare, complex villains, empathetic heroes, all beautifully realised in a distinctive digitally painted style. Sounds silly but it's class...

saga-volume-1-cover.jpg

Have a few others that I sporadically read on my list; looking for some new good ones to add to it...

No really that into them, however when I was a kid I did enjoy Donald Duck, Simpsons, Asterix, Tintin, and a few Marvel/DC comics. These days, I will read the occasional manga but I'm not a devoted or hardcore fan; it does take something special to pique my interest. Right now, I'm slowly following Berserk but that is released at a snail's pace.

• Upvote 1

I like the Alan Moore ones a lot. Watchmen was the one that started that for me, I had a roommate at uni that just wouldn't shut the fuck up about how good it was and how I had to read it... so I did, to shut him up. But it was actually really good, and then the film came out and the film was nowhere near as good and changed the ending and I thought "what the fuck?"

From Hell is my favourite of his though. It's about Jack the Ripper and I loved it.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Spike said:

No really that into them, however when I was a kid I did enjoy Donald Duck, Simpsons, Asterix, Tintin, and a few Marvel/DC comics. These days, I will read the occasional manga but I'm not a devoted or hardcore fan; it does take something special to pique my interest. Right now, I'm slowly following Berserk but that is released at a snail's pace.

If it's the same graphic novel I'm thinking of, the origin of Guts sounds well and truly fucked up. :|

• Subscriber

I read some every now and then when I am travelling or when I have layovers because its actually quite easy reading be it Manga or Graphic Novels. At one point I was quite fascinated with all the Year One work in the DC Universe so I bought them and started going through them. Wasn't a big fan of the first Batman:YO but some of the others are good. I quite liked the Nightwing book and its more adult-geared instead of being more comic-oriented if that even makes sense. 

Other stuff I have read over the years is extensive but at one point I was following Image and Dark Horse quite a bit as well since they were doing some good titles, Conan springs to mind and the original Fathom from Michael Turner which phased out quick and it also has work from Scott Lobdell who does some fantastic work in the story arc department especially with stuff like the crossover-arc from Marvel with Onslaught. 

• Upvote 1

• 4 months later...

Well... don't know how this slipped me by, probably because I never got tagged in.. :ph34r: Anyway, let's not dwell on who is to blame or who isn't and who should have been tagged in and who was not etc.. having stumbled upon this by 'pure luck' I thought I would showcase various artists knocking about, some old some new... so much detail and effort goes into peoples work it's amazing some of the quality they produce.. 

Riccardo Federici

riccardo-federici-foto-92.jpg?1463510119

riccardo-federici-foto-93.jpg?1463510124

riccardo-federici-foto-94.jpg?1463510129

riccardo-federici-foto-96.jpg?1463510135

riccardo-federici-foto-97.jpg?1463509798

riccardo-federici-foto-99.jpg?1463509803

riccardo-federici-foto-100.jpg?1463509808

riccardo-federici-foto-101.jpg?1463509812

riccardo-federici-foto-105.jpg?1463509818

riccardo-federici-img-0871.jpg?1494323954

riccardo-federici-img-0879.jpg?1494324008

riccardo-federici-18342484-1551574711560400-1908209812261032356-n.jpg?1494437611

riccardo-federici-18425073-1553045868079951-4436964701892227375-n.jpg?1494587035

Lriccardo-federici-img-2819.jpg?1462738507

riccardo-federici-img-2852.jpg?1462738525

riccardo-federici-img-2893.jpg?1462738434

riccardo-federici-img-8052.jpg?1475490427

riccardo-federici-img-8051.jpg?1475490424

riccardo-federici-img-8069.jpg?1475490429

riccardo-federici-img-8070.jpg?1475490828

riccardo-federici-copertina-saria-2-edizione-straniera-watermark.jpg?1475490786

Link to the artist here for more... just scroll down for more of his amazing art.. 

https://www.artstation.com/riccardofederici

Edited by Bluewolf
  • Like 1
  • Wow 1
  • Upvote 1

• Subscriber
18 hours ago, Bluewolf said:

Well... don't know how this slipped me by, probably because I never got tagged in.. :ph34r: Anyway, let's not dwell on who is to blame or who isn't and who should have been tagged in and who was not etc.. having stumbled upon this by 'pure luck' I thought I would showcase various artists knocking about, some old some new... so much detail and effort goes into peoples work it's amazing some of the quality they produce.. 

Riccardo Federici

riccardo-federici-foto-92.jpg?1463510119

riccardo-federici-foto-93.jpg?1463510124

riccardo-federici-foto-94.jpg?1463510129

riccardo-federici-foto-96.jpg?1463510135

riccardo-federici-foto-97.jpg?1463509798

riccardo-federici-foto-99.jpg?1463509803

riccardo-federici-foto-100.jpg?1463509808

riccardo-federici-foto-101.jpg?1463509812

riccardo-federici-foto-105.jpg?1463509818

riccardo-federici-img-0871.jpg?1494323954

riccardo-federici-img-0879.jpg?1494324008

riccardo-federici-18342484-1551574711560400-1908209812261032356-n.jpg?1494437611

riccardo-federici-18425073-1553045868079951-4436964701892227375-n.jpg?1494587035

Lriccardo-federici-img-2819.jpg?1462738507

riccardo-federici-img-2852.jpg?1462738525

riccardo-federici-img-2893.jpg?1462738434

riccardo-federici-img-8052.jpg?1475490427

riccardo-federici-img-8051.jpg?1475490424

riccardo-federici-img-8069.jpg?1475490429

riccardo-federici-img-8070.jpg?1475490828

riccardo-federici-copertina-saria-2-edizione-straniera-watermark.jpg?1475490786

Link to the artist here for more... just scroll down for more of his amazing art.. 

https://www.artstation.com/riccardofederici

This is incredible; the level of detail is just something else! :o Love it. 

Been reading the old Heavy Metal magazines in my spare time lately... Good old stuff as usual; no surprises there. And then I found out that they are releasing a spin-off magazine called SOFT WOOD this year; apparently it's a mix of parody, comics and shock humor all in Heavy Metal style :o Need to find out if I can actually get it but I like the sound and looks of it!

derp_dealer_red_logo_high.jpg

soft_wood_dentist_border_high_res.jpg

There are a few preview scans on their site: https://www.heavymetal.com/articles/preview-soft-wood-heavy-metal-humor-magazine/

@Bluewolf

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Subscriber
11 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Found some YouTube videos of Riccardo Federici doing his art... simply stunning stuff.. 

Amazing... The effort put into tiny details is just mindblowing. 

Also that Metallica's acoustic cover by Apocalyptica just makes the whole thing better.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Stumbled upon the Crossed comics recently. Went through the original Volume One by Garth Ennis/Jacen Burrows and must say I haven't read anything as twisted and messed up before xD Is extremely gory with excessive murder/sex/violence and a lot of it is there clearly for the shock value in order to push the limits but I must say I actually liked the story behind that. 

Plot summary: 

The story follows survivors dealing with a pandemic that causes its victims to carry out their most evil thoughts. Carriers of the virus are generally known as the "Crossed" due to a large, cross-like rash that appears on their faces – other names include "cross-faces" and "plus-faces". This contagion is primarily spread through bodily fluids, which the Crossed have used to great effect by treating their weapons with their fluids, as well as through other forms of direct fluidic contact such as rape and bites, assuming the victim lives long enough to turn. A major difference between the Crossed and other fictional zombie or insanity-virus epidemics is that while the Crossed are turned into homicidal violent psychopaths, they still retain a basic human-level of intelligence: thus, they are still capable of using firearms and tools, driving motor vehicles, setting complex traps, and other actions. It is occasionally noted in the series that a Crossed retains any skills they had prior to their infection; most simply lack the patience or sanity to do anything not immediately related to their vicious impulses.

The contagion spread across the entire world, with the Crossed killing, raping, engaging in cannibalism and maiming for fun, with governments and military overwhelmed; friends and family butchered each other with anything they lay their hands on, and cities were turned into vast charnel houses. Much of the Middle East was wiped out when Israel deployed nuclear weapons. The last organized act by the US government was to shut down as many nuclear power plants as possible and then kill the nuclear scientists and technicians to prevent them from reactivating the plants. A few nuclear power plants were not reached in time, however, such as Wolf Creek in Kansas and Browns Ferry in Alabama, detonated by Crossed who removed the control rods. One by one, the remaining military bases are overrun. Soon human civilization is all but gone, and mankind is an increasingly endangered species.

There are more volumes but most of them are trash except for the original run and the Badlands series (Volume 4) that's again written by the original authors. I'm also hearing that there's a spin off called Crossed +100 by Alan Moore though and that one's supposed to be good as well so I'll give it a go I guess...

Some cover art (a bit graphic so spoiler tags):

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, nudge said:

Stumbled upon the Crossed comics recently. Went through the original Volume One by Garth Ennis/Jacen Burrows and must say I haven't read anything as twisted and messed up before xD Is extremely gory with excessive murder/sex/violence and a lot of it is there clearly for the shock value in order to push the limits but I must say I actually liked the story behind that. 

Plot summary: 

There are more volumes but most of them are trash except for the original run and the Badlands series (Volume 4) that's again written by the original authors. I'm also hearing that there's a spin off called Crossed +100 by Alan Moore though and that one's supposed to be good as well so I'll give it a go I guess...

Some cover art (a bit graphic so spoiler tags):

Reveal hidden contents

90457ebe413e0588e75110480684b72d.jpg

91aae95491f9554bf2e77d9018224069.jpg

8ff79a9daeae7e0822f2c1e024da5bf9.jpg

@Bluewolf @Dr. Gonzo @Mel81x

On it... Badlands has over a hundred issues.. :o I won't get through them in one sitting xD

• Subscriber
Just now, Bluewolf said:

On it... Badlands has over a hundred issues.. :o I won't get through them in one sitting xD

Make sure to start with the original Volume One before you delve into Badlands though (Volume One only has around ten issues or so). It tells the story from the beginning and has a nice flow...

1 hour ago, nudge said:

Make sure to start with the original Volume One before you delve into Badlands though (Volume One only has around ten issues or so). It tells the story from the beginning and has a nice flow...

Ok, I have Volume 1 'Wish You Were Here' and it has 22 issues?? If it's the one that starts with the Dolphin then at least I am on the right tracks

• Subscriber
Just now, Bluewolf said:

Ok, I have Volume 1 'Wish You Were Here' and it has 22 issues?? If it's the one that starts with the Dolphin then at least I am on the right tracks

Nope. That's the web-comic they ran I think. 

The original run (Volume One) should start with this issue:

91aae95491f9554bf2e77d9018224069.jpg

The title is just Crossed... 

• Subscriber
8 hours ago, Mel81x said:

Great find @nudge I am going to get most of them over the weekend and give them a read. How did you stumble onto it?

Via reddit, as I was looking for recommendations for serious, mature comics to read. There were a few comments mentioning Crossed and then this comment kind of sold it to me as it got me very intrigued:

buAgVlC.png

xD 

• Haha 2

• Subscriber
56 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Well Issue 3 was a bit hard hitting.. 

Yeah... Probably the worst part of the whole series for me. That and Issue 7. And a revelation about one of the survivors at some point. As well as some other things haha. What I liked though is that they actually return to what happened in Issue 3 and implications of it in later issues. 

1 hour ago, nudge said:

Yeah... Probably the worst part of the whole series for me. That and Issue 7. And a revelation about one of the survivors at some point. As well as some other things haha. What I liked though is that they actually return to what happened in Issue 3 and implications of it in later issues. 

xD So pretty much most of it then... 

• Haha 1

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, nudge said:

Via reddit, as I was looking for recommendations for serious, mature comics to read. There were a few comments mentioning Crossed and then this comment kind of sold it to me as it got me very intrigued:

buAgVlC.png

xD 

Mental p0rn for adults. Me likes. Now, me go gets.

• Haha 1