talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

EFL Clubs in Crisis

• Subscriber

Lincoln boss Danny Cowley moaning about teams having unfair advantages because games are being postponed which means some teams aren't playing in midweek so when it comes to the weekend, some of them have had a longer break than others. Fucking shut up Cowley, this is bigger than the fitness of your players. Jesus.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
25 minutes ago, Pyfish said:

Lincoln boss Danny Cowley moaning about teams having unfair advantages because games are being postponed which means some teams aren't playing in midweek so when it comes to the weekend, some of them have had a longer break than others. Fucking shut up Cowley, this is bigger than the fitness of your players. Jesus.

Sat right behind him yesterday. Comes across as a right arsehole during a game. 

I genuinely think it will take a club to fold for the EFaiL to be deemed “unfit for purpose”. We’ve all said it for years. The fans of Blackpool, Coventry, Bury, Bolton, Hull, Orient, Morecambe, Oldham and probably a few others I’ve failed to list have said it for years. Journalists in small numbers have said it for years. Once a club goes, especially one of the history of Bury and/or Bolton, I think it’ll be a seminal moment in lower league Football in this country. 

We’ve not had a club go bust in the Football League for a long time and I think there will be ramifications if one (or both go). It should never have gotten to this stage where a Football Club is less than 48 hours from extinction and another is postponing games of their own accord largely due to the financial situation at their club. 

If/When Bury go on Friday, no Football League game should go ahead this weekend. Fans should simply not allow their games to kick-off. Yeah, it’s not the fault of those clubs and yeah, the spineless lizards at The EFaiL will no doubt throw the threat of fines at teams but people shouldn’t be turning a blind eye to this and simply allowing it to happen. The effects of no Football League games would be widespread across broadcasters and the media and would send out a hell of a message.  

5 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

I genuinely think it will take a club to fold for the EFaiL to be deemed “unfit for purpose”. We’ve all said it for years. The fans of Blackpool, Coventry, Bury, Bolton, Hull, Orient, Morecambe, Oldham and probably a few others I’ve failed to list have said it for years. Journalists in small numbers have said it for years. Once a club goes, especially one of the history of Bury and/or Bolton, I think it’ll be a seminal moment in lower league Football in this country. 

We’ve not had a club go bust in the Football League for a long time and I think there will be ramifications if one (or both go). It should never have gotten to this stage where a Football Club is less than 48 hours from extinction and another is postponing games of their own accord largely due to the financial situation at their club. 

If/When Bury go on Friday, no Football League game should go ahead this weekend. Fans should simply not allow their games to kick-off. Yeah, it’s not the fault of those clubs and yeah, the spineless lizards at The EFaiL will no doubt throw the threat of fines at teams but people shouldn’t be turning a blind eye to this and simply allowing it to happen. The effects of no Football League games would be widespread across broadcasters and the media and would send out a hell of a message.  

I like the sentiment, but the sad reality is that we all think it won't happen to OUR club. It's not selfishness - it is, as I'm experiencing, complete naivety. 

4 hours ago, Pyfish said:

Having read what he actually said, he’s had a dig at the Football League and is correct in what he’s said. 

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Having read what he actually said, he’s had a dig at the Football League and is correct in what he’s said. 

I disagree. He's moaning about it being a disadvantage but over the course of the season, whether Bury remain in the league or not, everyone will face the same amount of matches. The same case with Bolton, if more matches are postponed, they will have to be played later in the season still anyway. If a bunch of professional footballers can't handle two matches a week, there's a wider problem here. 

24 minutes ago, Pyfish said:

I disagree. He's moaning about it being a disadvantage but over the course of the season, whether Bury remain in the league or not, everyone will face the same amount of matches. The same case with Bolton, if more matches are postponed, they will have to be played later in the season still anyway. If a bunch of professional footballers can't handle two matches a week, there's a wider problem here. 

He’s moaned about the disparity in schedules, which I think while distasteful, isn’t the worst thing he could have said. He has a point and probably more so based on the way in which Bolton have chosen to cancel their game. 

He goes on to say that he’s “frustrated and annoyed with the EFL” that they’ve allowed both situations to get to this state and that the integrity of the competition is dented by this and the fit and proper arseholes test. 

• Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.347081e55ff69d92dc2008cc76222c5c.png

Bury FC: Anger and tears at League One club before EFL decision

_108393940_bury_pa.jpg

Fan protests stepped up on Wednesday at Bury's Gigg Lane stadium

A coffin with 'RIP Bury FC 1885-?' painted on it leans against a wall. Just a few metres away, a woman stands handcuffed to a drainpipe.

Bury Football Club is 134 years old. In less than 134 hours, it could be no more.

With the club in financial turmoil, and six successive fixtures cancelled so far this season, the Shakers could be expelled from the English Football League.

It is the nightmare scenario for the club's fans and the town.

FULL REPORT

51 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Potentially D-Day for Bury today. 

I personally can’t see how they survive. I hope I’m wrong but having had so many games called off and so many bids for the club rejected thus far, I am not confident for them. 

Hope they can make it, what happen if they don't? They go bust or?

1 minute ago, Smiley Culture said:

Expelled from the Football League and will be liquidated too, by all accounts. 

I would never wish that on any club, the fans must be devastated. Are there any chances they get a buyer and avoid all this?

• Administrator
1 minute ago, True Blue said:

I would never wish that on any club, the fans must be devastated. Are there any chances they get a buyer and avoid all this?

There's been a few buyers interested but their current owner, Steve Dale, has refused them stating he thinks there's better offers elsewhere. There was one earlier this week which was refused therefore causing more uncertainty for the club given the deadline of today is/was so soon.

Two U.K. bidders and an Italian were be said to want Bury. Italian fella is allegedly the bloke that nearly run Gateshead into the ground over the past year and some reports ex-Forest owner Al-Hasawi is interested. 

If either of the two are serious, liquidation and a fan-owned club isn’t the worst thing in the world. 

C&N Sporting Risk are a data analysis company. I mean, on the face of it all sounds quite good really, especially given a couple of the names allegedly wanting to buy the club yesterday. 

It’s still going to be a hell of a job, if they’re successful. Allegedly £9m in debt and needing to play five or six additional games. 

This might sound like something of a cliche but, football in the lower leagues really is the lifeblood of the game in these shores.  Big names within the game, including many on national television, are saying what a shame it is that clubs like Bury and Bolton find themselves in their current situations.  But, I don't see any concrete offers of help and possible solutions offered.  Could not a ruling be introduced so that every full time player in the EFL has just 5% of their salary put into a "Safety Holding Fund" that would be administered by an independent board [ National Football Supporters Association ? ] who would have the authority to actually offer financial assistance to clubs in need.  I think the EFL also need to seriously overhaul it's own vetting procedures in terms of accepting new club owners.

Final thought, or Pipedream, wouldn't it be great if some of he over paid and over hyped Premier League "Stars" actually made donations to troubled teams such as Bury, Bolton, Macclesfield and Notts County.  We can only dream . . . . . 

• Subscriber

This has been coming for years and years. Bolton and Bury will no doubt be the biggest clubs to go down in this fashion if that's what ends up happening. Like I said earlier in the thread, the English football pyramid is crumbling. I expect these situations to become even more commonplace in League One and below because no cunt will do a single thing about it.

• The title was changed to EFL Clubs in Crisis

Archived