• The title was changed to EFL Clubs in Crisis
  • Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 months later...
  • Administrator

Bury deducted 12 points.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49034775

Bury are to be deducted 12 points by the English Football League after the club's creditors approved a rescue plan to clear some of the Shakers' debts.

Shakers owner Steve Dale put forward a Company Voluntary Arrangement (CVA) proposal in June which would see the club's football creditors paid in full.

Unsecured creditors, including HMRC, will be paid 25% of the money owed.

A CVA qualifies as an "insolvency event" under EFL rules but the League One club have seven days to appeal.

In a statement issued on Thursday, Dale said the CVA would mean the club's "future is secured".

He said: "We have worked tirelessly to achieve the result today whilst taking a lot of flak.

"Some might say our methods were questionable but we can all pass comment with hindsight, my job was to save Bury FC and that's done. We have other hurdles but the main one is complete."

Meanwhile, CVA nominee Steven Wiseglass said the agreement "hopefully secures a brighter future" for the Shakers.

"The agreement means the club avoids going into administration or liquidation, and it provides a degree of financial certainty in that its historic debts will be dealt with," Wiseglass added.

The deduction means Bury join local rivals Bolton Wanderers in starting the season on -12 points after the Trotters went into administration in May.

Bury are due to reappear in the High Court later in July after a winding-up petition brought by HM Revenue & Customs over an unpaid tax bill was adjourned for a third time.

The Shakers are looking for new ownership after Dale put the club up for sale in April.

• Subscriber

It will probably take more than our lifetimes for it to become entirely noticeable but this really is the beginning of the death of the English football pyramid which is without a doubt the best in the world. More and more money continues to slither to the top of the game at an ever-increasing rate, inequality grows exponentially and now you have teams in League One and League Two routinely not being able to run themselves.

You could take a barely noticeable slice of the television sponsorship money from each Premier League side and make a huge difference to the rest of the clubs across the country. Problem is this would only lead to more greed from incompetent owners further down the Football League and only creates a higher bar for them to spend beyond their means and leave their club and ultimately their employees up shit creak, which they would and will continue to do.

• Subscriber

Read yesterday Stef that your potential new owners want Nigel Pearson as manager if it goes through. He's been sketchy without his two assistants (to be honest all three have struggled) but if you got those three together again I think you'd gradually sort yourselves right out.

8 hours ago, Dan said:

Read yesterday Stef that your potential new owners want Nigel Pearson as manager if it goes through. He's been sketchy without his two assistants (to be honest all three have struggled) but if you got those three together again I think you'd gradually sort yourselves right out.

Hmm, that is one name that has been mentioned, but I think that's based a lot around the local paper using a poor photo of Terry Robinson (a name linked with the consortium), with a far more prominent Pearson in the same image.

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/17785127.make-break-time-wanderers-takeover/

• Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.49b5cd853ccbce06ae3271ac8c29d188.png

Bury: EFL suspends second League One game of the season against Accrington Stanley

Bury's second League One game of the season, away at Accrington Stanley on Saturday, 10 August, has been suspended by the English Football League.

The Shakers had already had Saturday's opening fixture against MK Dons called off after failing to show the league evidence of financial viability.

The EFL says the club could still not demonstrate they could settle all football debts or pay off creditors.

Bury owner Steve Dale described the decision as a "grave injustice".

In a statement, Dale also said he was adamant that the club had sent the EFL the necessary assurances; that outstanding wage payments to players will be paid, that the club has the funds to operate during the 2019-20 season and also has a valid safety certificate for Gigg Lane for the season.

Dale added that he could not understand why a decision regarding the Accrington fixture could not wait until Monday if the league required further details from the club.

An EFL statement said: "Following a lengthy discussion, the board agreed that progress had been made with regard to the outstanding evidence requested by the league.

"The EFL acknowledges this remains a difficult and challenging period for the club, their players and supporters; and will continue to work with the ownership at Bury FC as it looks to resolve all outstanding matters."

It has been a chaotic week for Bury, who saw a winding-up petition against them dismissed by the High Court on Wednesday, while Dale claimed the EFL were "working against" them.

The EFL's interim chief executive Debbie Jevans said later that the league was "not standing in the way" of the Shakers' survival.

The club has already been given a 12-point deduction for the season after entering into a company voluntary arrangement (CVA) in order to try to clear some of their debts.

Bury, who won promotion from League Two last season, have already been referred to an independent disciplinary panel after their fixture against MK Dons was suspended.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49213628

• Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.d7189c8ca30d45467672256d4209705b.png

Bury given a deadline to avoid EFL expulsion after having third game suspended.

Bury have been given 14 days to avoid being expelled from the EFL after having their Carabao Cup tie with Sheffield Wednesday suspended.

The EFL previously called off Bury's games against MK Dons and Accrington.

The League One club had been given a deadline of Wednesday to show the EFL a plan to pay off outstanding creditors.

But after not providing "the clarity required" they have now had a third game suspended and given two weeks to meet the EFL's insolvency policy.

"Despite continued efforts, regular communication and dialogue with [Bury chairman] Mr Steve Dale and his team, the required evidence has not been forthcoming," EFL executive chair Debbie Jevans said.

"Albeit regretfully, the board has been left with no choice but to take the action it has."

The EFL said they would continue to work "constructively with the club and Mr Dale" to obtain the details required to avoid calling off further fixtures.

BBC Radio Manchester have contacted Bury for comment.

Financially-troubled Bury's first-round match against the Owls had been due to take place at Hillsborough on Tuesday, 13 August.

The club has already been given a 12-point deduction for the season after entering into a company voluntary arrangement (CVA) - which is classed as an insolvency event by the EFL - to try to clear some of their debts.

The Shakers saw a winding-up petition against them dismissed by the High Court on 31 July, while Dale claimed the EFL were "working against" them, to which Jevans later said that the league was "not standing in the way" of the club's survival.

The EFL had previously issued the club with a withdrawal of membership notice - which was itself suspended since 25 July. But this has now been lifted, with the Shakers given until 23 August to prove their financial viability or face expulsion.

Bury, who won promotion from League Two last season, have also previously been referred to an independent disciplinary panel after their opening-day fixture against MK Dons was suspended.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49280328

• Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.8ce7a80b6b9fbad36db73482a903f697.png

Bury: Offer made to buy League One club as the threat of EFL expulsion looms

Bury have said owner Steve Dale has been made aware of an offer to buy the financially embattled League One club.

The English Football League has also given Bury until 09:00 BST on Tuesday to show how they plan to pay off creditors - or face having Saturday's game at home to Gillingham suspended.

A statement attributed to "Bury FC Staff" described the offer as "the only lifeline for the future of the club".

Dale previously said he will not sell until financial stability is restored.

Bury are yet to play a game this season after League One matches against MK Dons and Accrington, as well as Tuesday's League Cup match against Sheffield Wednesday, have all been suspended because of the ongoing crisis at Gigg Lane.

They have been given until 23 August to avoid being expelled from the EFL as evidence previously requested about how Bury will meet its commitments to football creditors, those outlined in its Company Voluntary Arrangement (CVA) or details how the club will be funded this season, has not been provided...

FULL REPORT

• Subscriber
45 minutes ago, Pyfish said:

Bury v Gillingham isn't happening now on Saturday either.

Aye, just saw this...

Quote.thumb.png.7ded32fa6a27cb6deec298526290e04a.png

Bury: Financially stricken League One side have a game against Gillingham suspended

Bury's match against Gillingham on Saturday has been suspended by the English Football League - the fourth Shakers game to be called off.

The League One club were unable to satisfy the EFL's request to prove their financial viability by 09:00 BST.

The decision by the EFL comes a day after owner Steve Dale said he would consider a sale after a "lifeline" takeover offer was made on Monday.

Bury is also working towards a 23 August deadline to avoid EFL expulsion.

An EFL statement said: "Clarity is still required on plans to meet the club's commitments to football creditors, payment to unsecured creditors as part of the company voluntary arrangement (CVA), alongside source and sufficiency of funding for season 2019-20."

It added that a decision regarding the League One fixture against Rotherham on 20 August will be taken on Thursday, and said the EFL "remains committed to working with the club to try and find a successful conclusion".

The future of the 134-year-old club has come under serious threat this summer because of the financial turmoil.

While the Shakers won promotion from League Two last season despite their money problems, they are yet to begin life in England's third division as their opening three league fixtures, against MK Dons, Accrington and now Gillingham, have all been suspended.

Tuesday's Carabao Cup first-round tie against Sheffield Wednesday was also called off because of the crisis at Gigg Lane.

FULL STORY

• Subscriber

Another game called off for Bury...

Bury's away fixture against Rotherham on Tuesday has been suspended by the English Football League - their fifth successive game to be called off.

The suspension comes as the League One club works towards a 23 August deadline to avoid expulsion from the EFL.

The EFL say they are still dissatisfied Bury can pay outstanding creditors and have funding for the season ahead.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49356357

• Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.dd4fcdd9849ce5a29e0c315c6eac0778.png

Bury owner Steve Dale turns down a new offer for League One club

Bury owner Steve Dale has turned down a new offer for the club, believed to have been made by a former chairman.

It is understood the offer would have secured the survival of the League One outfit, who have already had five games cancelled by the EFL this season.

The ex-chairman was told Dale thinks he can secure a better deal, even though the EFL has warned Bury they risk being kicked out of the League.

As it stands, the Shakers could be expelled from the League on 23 August.

Bury staff issued a statement on 12 August which "implored" Dale to accept an offer for the club, who are yet to play a competitive fixture this season.

The club has already been given a 12-point deduction for the season after entering into a company voluntary arrangement (CVA) - which is classed as an insolvency event by the EFL - to try to clear some of their debts.

The Shakers saw a winding-up petition against them dismissed by the High Court on 31 July, while Dale claimed the EFL was "working against" them.

EFL interim chief executive Debbie Jevans later said that the League was "not standing in the way" of the club's survival.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49410172

I absolutely hate seeing shit like this. 

Absolutely NO CLUB or COMMITTEE deserves this kind of shit. 

Hope Bury are able to pull through. 

So, what's the updated list on clubs that are going through this? 

Bury, Bolton and Blackburn are all struggling or have struggled recently. 

5 hours ago, Eco said:

I absolutely hate seeing shit like this. 

Absolutely NO CLUB or COMMITTEE deserves this kind of shit. 

Hope Bury are able to pull through. 

So, what's the updated list on clubs that are going through this? 

Bury, Bolton and Blackburn are all struggling or have struggled recently. 

Our finances are shot to shit but not to a level of immediate concern, our problem over the past decade has been the ineptitude of Venky's, though since we ended up in League One they have essentially left us to it (in a good way), much in the same way the vast majority of other EFL teams are handled.

In terms of oblivion, Bolton and Bury are the obvious candidates. Macclesfield, Northampton and Coventry in the EFL have all had dodgy periods of late, in the top two tiers of Non League you can add Torquay, Ebbsfleet and Hartlepool. Go further down than that and I suspect there are dozens in silent crisis. Something will give at some point.

37 minutes ago, tlr said:

Our finances are shot to shit but not to a level of immediate concern, our problem over the past decade has been the ineptitude of Venky's, though since we ended up in League One they have essentially left us to it (in a good way), much in the same way the vast majority of other EFL teams are handled.

In terms of oblivion, Bolton and Bury are the obvious candidates. Macclesfield, Northampton and Coventry in the EFL have all had dodgy periods of late, in the top two tiers of Non League you can add Torquay, Ebbsfleet and Hartlepool. Go further down than that and I suspect there are dozens in silent crisis. Something will give at some point.

Was Ebbsfleet owned by a website that fans could pay for part ownership? 

I guess that plan didnt work out in the long run.

If Bury become a former club, I truly hope that snake Dale dies in a house fire.

I'm not a Bury fan, and I know their fans loathe us with a passion, but I'd be heartbroken to see a club like that fold based on one man's greed. Unfortunately, by the time I'm the age of that bloke in that tragic video, clubs like Bury and Bolton will be but a footnote in the Wikipedia article on how the 6 club oligopoly on English football came to be. We're not the first, we won't be the last. The sport is fucking broken and nobody, let alone the unfit EFL, has the answer. 

• Subscriber

Steve Dale is an absolute tosser. An absolute charlatan. That interview with him last week was nothing short of cringeworthy, embarrassing stuff from him right from the word go, making out he's the victim in all of this.

I do feel for the fans and innocent staff at the club although somebody like him deserves nothing but absolute failure and the thought of someone bailing him out makes me sick.

Whoever signed those deals Bury gave out to players like Danns (funny that), Beckford (funny that), Maynard etc... also needs shooting. What on earth did they think would happen? As much as I hope it gets sorted, I fundamentally am well against a safety net being created for shit like that to take place. That kind of negligence deserves punishing.

I also feel sorry for Mansfield Town. They were pipped to promotion by the skin of their teeth yet ultimately missed out because of this shambles, so they're effectively penalised for spending within their means.

Cannot see a way back for Bury tbh, at least Bolton have played games, there’s been that much uncertainty that Bury haven’t even managed that. It’s getting to the stage now where it’s going to be incredibly tough to fit in five fixtures into the calendar even if they are saved. 

Why does this Steve Dale have any say on bids that are coming in for the club? Isn’t that the whole point of administration, that he’s effectively removed from the role?

8 hours ago, Dan said:

Steve Dale is an absolute tosser. An absolute charlatan. That interview with him last week was nothing short of cringeworthy, embarrassing stuff from him right from the word go, making out he's the victim in all of this.

I do feel for the fans and innocent staff at the club although somebody like him deserves nothing but absolute failure and the thought of someone bailing him out makes me sick.

Whoever signed those deals Bury gave out to players like Danns (funny that), Beckford (funny that), Maynard etc... also needs shooting. What on earth did they think would happen? As much as I hope it gets sorted, I fundamentally am well against a safety net being created for shit like that to take place. That kind of negligence deserves punishing.

I also feel sorry for Mansfield Town. They were pipped to promotion by the skin of their teeth yet ultimately missed out because of this shambles, so they're effectively penalised for spending within their means.

The negligence isn't strictly in them spending beyond their means, as pretty much every club outside of the big bucks PL does it nowadays, in some form. Even Carlisle United and their holier-than-thou twat of a manager Steven Pressley operated at a loss last season.

The negligence is in the EFL's 'fit and proper' test, where they allowed Steve Dale to buy the club for £1, essentially without proof of funds sufficient for a League One football club!!! Fuck it, I might offer to buy Macclesfield Town for £1 next week on my mid-range salary, take over their stadium and knock it down for housing. As ludicrous as that sounds, the EFL have essentially allowed this crook to do exactly that with Bury.

• The title was changed to EFL Clubs in Crisis

Archived