talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

EFL Clubs in Crisis

Also, I forgot my main point. Sorry. Commence rant:

Bury's demise is a fucking travesty; it is an ebola-ridden, toxic shitstain on our national sport, which should never, ever have been allowed to happen, and must NEVER be allowed to happen again.

And yet, after much crocodile teariness and insincere condemnation of the situation (while conveniently glossing over their own roles in this crying shame), those shithouses in their ivory towers at the EFL, at the Premier League, at BT, at Sky Fucking Sports, will have forgotten about little provincial Bury by the weekend because it's the North London Derby which will get blasted to 190 countries around the world, and selling fucking Harry Kane bedsheets to kids in Nicaragua is far more important to them than protecting, celebrating, even fucking remembering the 134 year history of a traditional football club at the heart of its heavily working class community. 

One Bury fan I know took his 9 year old daughter to Gigg Lane every fortnight; it was 'their thing' (he's split from the mother), and it has been instrumental in them keeping their father/daughter relationship so healthy. I won't copy out his Facebook post from this evening on here, but it is genuinely one of the most heartbreaking things I've ever read.

/rant

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
2 hours ago, Pyfish said:

Heard a few of Dales interviews today and the bloke really couldn’t give a flying fuck. I was shocked to hear some of the shit he was coming out with.

Sad times for Bury and for football tonight!

I more and more am leaning to thinking he's actively done it on purpose out of hatred for the game. His attitude was what you'd expect from your ardent Rugby Union fan.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, DepressedWanderer said:

To be honest, Stoke are the next club I'd fear for. Genuinely. How long are the Coates family going to keep ploughing money into an unsustainable club? What kind of charlatan /banned Director would be allowed to walk in an strip the club's assets if they decided to sell up?

Eddie Davies turned off the money tap around 3 years ago... Look where we are now. 

We've got a massive set of pillocks who support this club. STILL, people are talking about liquidation as being a good thing and are slating FV for not completing the purchase yet - they simply do not understand what that word means. No players, no stadium, no staff, no history, no BWFC. NOTHING. 

And these loons see it all as a big fucking joke. 

I think Stoke (and Bolton by the way) will be big enough to take the hit and will survive. Bury I think were up against it from the word go.

What a horrendous day yesterday was. From Sky’s countdown clock as if the possibility of two Football Club’s ceasing to exist was some form of celebration like the pissed up countdown at New Years to the eventual news that Bury have been expelled from the Football League with the sadness of watching hundreds of people turn up to Gigg Lane in the hope they may have a team to go and watch for the first time in 4-5 months on Saturday thrown in, it was an awful day. 

It should be seminal moment in English Football really but why would chairmen threaten to make a stand when in many cases, they’d be the ones most likely for a fall? 

18 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

Sky treating the very existences of two clubs with approximately 280 years of history and six FA Cup’s between them like Transfer Deadline Day with countdown clocks on the screen is crass, insensitive and as stupid as you could possibly get. All they need now is Jim White in a yellow tie. 

What a truly awful time for the club and the fans and it's all being covered like some kind of hyped up media entertainment event... shame on them and shame on all those that not only allowed it to happen in the first place but to all those who failed to do anything significant about it while they had the chance before it came down to this.. 

10 hours ago, DepressedWanderer said:

Also, I forgot my main point. Sorry. Commence rant:

Bury's demise is a fucking travesty; it is an ebola-ridden, toxic shitstain on our national sport, which should never, ever have been allowed to happen, and must NEVER be allowed to happen again.

And yet, after much crocodile teariness and insincere condemnation of the situation (while conveniently glossing over their own roles in this crying shame), those shithouses in their ivory towers at the EFL, at the Premier League, at BT, at Sky Fucking Sports, will have forgotten about little provincial Bury by the weekend because it's the North London Derby which will get blasted to 190 countries around the world, and selling fucking Harry Kane bedsheets to kids in Nicaragua is far more important to them than protecting, celebrating, even fucking remembering the 134 year history of a traditional football club at the heart of its heavily working class community. 

One Bury fan I know took his 9 year old daughter to Gigg Lane every fortnight; it was 'their thing' (he's split from the mother), and it has been instrumental in them keeping their father/daughter relationship so healthy. I won't copy out his Facebook post from this evening on here, but it is genuinely one of the most heartbreaking things I've ever read.

/rant

What a great post.. 

11 hours ago, Dan said:

Once the dust settles on this some serious heads need to roll. The EFL needs a total shake up and Steve Dale needs locking up.

Yeah it's bad. Although compared to some leagues we are not to bad. I mean look at Italy

1 hour ago, Gunnersauraus said:

So bury are not actually liquidised then yet. They can reaply and start in the lower leagues? 

I might be looking into things too deeply but looking at the wording used by people, it sounds like liquidation is inevitable. 

The Sport Minister in this country has said the he hopes Bury can re-form and draw positives from other clubs who have done so before and The FA have mentioned a re-formed side are welcome to apply for a place in the pyramid next year. 

1 hour ago, Smiley Culture said:

I might be looking into things too deeply but looking at the wording used by people, it sounds like liquidation is inevitable. 

The Sport Minister in this country has said the he hopes Bury can re-form and draw positives from other clubs who have done so before and The FA have mentioned a re-formed side are welcome to apply for a place in the pyramid next year. 

Yeah I heard that. But I'm not sure if they have to reform or they can reaply as Bury. Have to wait and see I guess

• Subscriber

I've been trying to think how best to put this into words and I'm struggling so I'm just going to spaff my thoughts on the issues here out there.

People on Twitter and even in the national media chatting shit about the inequality in football, the rich getting richer and the poor getting poorer, is not the issue here. Clearly, it is an issue, don't get me wrong. But the clubs in the football league make enough money to stay afloat, otherwise the whole pyramid would have imploded by now.

The EFL would love to sit back and let everyone blame the big bad Premier League for hoovering up all of the money. I'm afraid it's not that simple though. What's causing clubs like Bury to go extinct is their total and utter failure to establish and implement a fit and proper test for owners that has integrity and actually protects the interests of the club.

The owners that are driving these clubs into oblivion are either using the club's income to line their own pockets/clear their other debts, or are using football clubs as some sort of slot machine, throwing a pile of money at it, encouraging an unsustainable business approach and hoping they get the jackpot of promotion to the Premier League before the money runs out so they end up with a bigger pile of money than what they started with. The common denominator of these different reasons is greed.

Now greed is a problem that you don't get rid of by giving greedy people more money. Spreading more of the money from the Premier League down to the rest of the pyramid is something that needs to be done but it isn't the solution to this problem. If you give a greedy League One chairman's club another £1m a year, do you actually think he will use that to make the club sustainable? No, the problem is that they've been spending more than they can afford. Giving them more money just means they'll spend that too and end up making the club unsustainable anyway, and they'll be back at the next opportunity with their hand out saying "need some more of that juicy Prem money please".

The EFL don't just need a fit and proper ownership test, they need to monitor the spending of clubs at all times to make sure they aren't 3 years away from becoming the next Bury. Not with their weird version of Financial Fair Play either. League Two clubs apparently make a loss of £500k a year routinely, meaning they have to hope they can sell a youth product for a couple of million, or get a trip to Old Trafford in the FA Cup, or a Wembley visit in the playoffs just to stay afloat for another year. It's absolutely ridiculous and clubs shouldn't have to be relying on dice rolls like these to break even every season.

What a fucking awful day for football fans. I'm no Bury supporter, and I wasn't ingrained with Pompey nearly as much as those local fans, but this is a devestating process and one that I can only hope they are able to recover from ASAP. Absolute nightmare of a situation 

I remember when Hereford went bust, I was really sad even though I had no connection to the club. Felt really bad for those fans but thankfully they started a Phoenix club, hopefully the same could go for Bury and Bolton (assuming they also go bust) even if it means that they will likely not be relevant for a long time, if ever.

• Administrator
15 minutes ago, Grizzly21 said:

I remember when Hereford went bust, I was really sad even though I had no connection to the club. Felt really bad for those fans but thankfully they started a Phoenix club, hopefully the same could go for Bury and Bolton (assuming they also go bust) even if it means that they will likely not be relevant for a long time, if ever.

They'll always be relevant, even if it was a phoenix club. 

Just now, Stan said:

They'll always be relevant, even if it was a phoenix club. 

I know, they are important clubs but I meant in terms of how much we’ll be hearing about them or that getting to the FL is very difficult for a Phoenix club. 

• Administrator
3 hours ago, Stick With Azeem said:

Saw this on twitter 

' One week of Alexis Sanchez's wages could have said two whole football clubs '

I agree. Money really does talk... 

17 hours ago, Grizzly21 said:

I've been to Hereford in their new guise, it is a proper success story and should offer hope to Bury and any other League or National League team who find themselves in the same predicament. Despite the 2-1 loss they had wedged, noisy stands full of their old fans with a proper feeling of hope and togetherness about the place.

I think three factors in particular helped - keeping their lovely old school Edgar Street ground, which gives a sense of continuity alongside the identical badge and kit they have; getting a proper manager at the helm who gave them three promotions in three years and a Wembley day out; and the fact the city is really isolated by English standards, no lure of bigger clubs or local rivals on the doorstep to come and pick off less dedicated fans.

Of course, things are different for Bury, with the attrocious situation with Gigg Lane and the fact they have about a dozen League clubs within 30 miles of them, two of whom are Man United and City, ready to hoover up less diehard fans, staff and local playing talent.

All that said mind a lot seem of phoenix or break off clubs seem to get stuck when they reach Step 6 - Hereford, Darlo, FC United of Manchester, Maidstone - it is a hell of a job to build a League standard club from a broken project.

• Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.a7bfb8cf388c2edbd486491cf3f48f06.png

Bury expelled from EFL: League will not overturn expulsion despite £7m bid

The English Football League will not go back on its decision to expel Bury, despite a £7m takeover bid still being on the table, the BBC understands.

Gustavo Ferriera, a Brazilian pastor who runs a sports agency, says he has made a bid for the club and is happy to take on their current debts.

The Shakers were removed from the EFL after C&N Sporting Risk pulled out of a proposed deal to buy the club.

It ended a 125-year stay in the League for the two-time FA Cup winners.

"Very disappointed by EFL decision today and failure to engage seriously with a credible plan to save the club," Bury South MP Ivan Lewis tweeted.

"They have shown total disregard for the impact on the amazing fans and our entire town."

Lewis says he will be meeting supporters group Forever Bury later on Thursday to discuss the way forward.

download.png.dff61c62936135f0e468ee6f49eccb99.png

FULL STORY

3 hours ago, CaaC (John) said:

Quote.thumb.png.a7bfb8cf388c2edbd486491cf3f48f06.png

Bury expelled from EFL: League will not overturn expulsion despite £7m bid

The English Football League will not go back on its decision to expel Bury, despite a £7m takeover bid still being on the table, the BBC understands.

Gustavo Ferriera, a Brazilian pastor who runs a sports agency, says he has made a bid for the club and is happy to take on their current debts.

The Shakers were removed from the EFL after C&N Sporting Risk pulled out of a proposed deal to buy the club.

It ended a 125-year stay in the League for the two-time FA Cup winners.

"Very disappointed by EFL decision today and failure to engage seriously with a credible plan to save the club," Bury South MP Ivan Lewis tweeted.

"They have shown total disregard for the impact on the amazing fans and our entire town."

Lewis says he will be meeting supporters group Forever Bury later on Thursday to discuss the way forward.

download.png.dff61c62936135f0e468ee6f49eccb99.png

FULL STORY

The EFL couldn’t rescind their decision, for me. It would have made them look (more) smalltime and anyway, how long can you go on for listening to the lies and broken promises of this Dale? 

• Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.5c977cd3fe1ca1d9c17d4e4b33dbecc2.png

Furious Bury fans accuse EFL of failure to follow regulations and threaten legal action if the club is not reinstated

Bury fans have written to the English Football League accusing it of failing to follow its own regulations by throwing the crisis club out of the professional game and threatening legal action if it does not reinstate them...

FULL REPORT

• 11 months later...
  • The title was changed to EFL Clubs in Crisis

Archived