talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Fulham Relegated

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Been on the cards since early July, really. While a few players they signed in the summer, on paper at least, looked impressive, they started July with something stupid like twelve contracted players and then managed to get about twelve players in between then and the season starting. It was just poor preparation which led to poor performance and now they’re back where they were a season ago. 

• Subscriber

There's a case for this being the single worst season a Premier League club has had. Just a total car crash from start to finish. At least Derby weren't actually expected to do anything even if they were embarrassingly bad. Fulham just cannot point to a single positive other than Mitrovic, and I'd argue that this is a positive that just makes everything else look even worse considering.

• Subscriber

They went about it in the total wrong way. They aspired to get so far high up the table but it was never going to happen with all the acquisitions they made and they fell into the biggest trap out there which is that spending money guarantees success. If the owners have any sense now they'll review this year in top flight and work backwards to understand that they need much more than a splurge of cash to make things work. I think a few years understanding what they need in the lower league(s) is what will help them in the longer run but that remains to be seen now. I don't think we'll be seeing them in the Prem again anytime soon.

• Administrator
8 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

It's pretty incredible, all of that money they spent and the signing that's made the biggest impact and actually done well is Ryan Babel.

Has he?

My cousin's a Fulham fan and he said he's very wasteful and just not good enough even for this relegated side. Wasteful when he has the ball and especially in front of goal. 

Sorry for the fans at the Cottage, but this is symptomatic of present day football.  Take out Kloppy and Ole Gunnar and then look at all those managers/coaches who spend money signing good players and then tell them to play the way the coach wants - not the way they have been playing with success and which caused them to be signed. Liverpool and Man U may still be short of one or two players to get to the Man City situation where brilliant men accept that they are squad players and have to wait or miss an odd game, but when they come back they fit in perfectly.  Bringing on kids like Alexander Armstrong and Rashford by letting them play the way the can and are comfortable with the gentle cajoling to develop their concentration - not their footy skill - and all of a sudden it works!!  Changing young Max from an attacking midfielder and the German Captain to a semi-good midfield defender has been a disaster for Tedesco and Hodgson and now for Fulham.  Leroy makes mistakes and sometimes lives in 'Wunderland'  There is an old song from Goodbye Mr Chips which says -"We may never get to Heaven, but it's Heaven at least to try".  Why buy a dog and do all the barking yourself?  Kids learn from their mistakes - old men like me are supposed to be wiser and learn from other people's mistakes - but we don't play footy!  "Hey Teacher - leave our kids alone!"  Just be ready to make way for the next generation - warts, clangers and all - it's much better fun and in the end it always works.  Shouting and screaming at them (never mind the incessant irrespectful whistling from the bench as if they were a pack of dogs) is always second best to the arm round the shoulder and the quiet word in the ear!  I hope Scott stays at Fulham and can turn it round next time.  His approach to the Press and the game deserves that!

2 hours ago, Stan said:

Has he?

My cousin's a Fulham fan and he said he's very wasteful and just not good enough even for this relegated side. Wasteful when he has the ball and especially in front of goal. 

The only times I’ve watched them play it’s been Ryan Babel and 10 other people who look waaaaaay more shite than Ryan Babel

22 hours ago, Stan said:

At least @Bluebird Hewitt is happy. 

Whatever gave you that idea? :whistling:

Well where shall I start?

1. Wanked upon to no end by the neutral and elistest fans who thought they deserved automatic promotion over us based on the second half of a season (they were mid table around the half way mark), while we were criticised by some saying we didn't deserve it simply because we weren't playing 'attractive' football (despite being in or around the top six practically all season, but don't tell the wank boys that)

2. Spunked nearly £120m (the most for a newly promoted team to the premiership) to try and avoid relegation

3. Signed around 12 new players, effectively breaking up the team that got them promoted and the team having to gel and get to know each other

4. Keeping the 'attractive' football, yet forgetting to reinforce a defence that was going to be under far more pressure than in the Championship, effectively getting cut up time and time again and conceding the most goals so far this season (hell, our defence by comparison is the exact same that got us promoted xD)

5. Three different managers, of which none have done better than the other (though in Parker's defence, there wasn't much more he could have done

6. So far, only 17 points mustered and even the possibility of finishing bottom of the league, despite the immense wanking from the elistest fan that they'd be easily safe purely based on the amount spent. 

7. Seri and Anguissa apparently cost £50m (more than all of our signings combined, including Sala). Apparently only one goal and two assists between them. So much for having superior players

They have been wanked over to no end simply on the basis of 'attractive football' while we were criticised simply because 'it's Cardiff' and we play direct football under a manager no one likes. On top of the sheer arrogance in general, you see why I constantly got fed up of hearing about Fulham. 

So long you absolute arrogant cuntstains. See you in the Championship next season. 

• Subscriber

Fulham FC fan in California sues over 'racist' number plate row

download.thumb.png.80836973ad3d896798d2a0c509930d2d.png

A Fulham FC fan living in California is suing a state department after he was banned from having the letters COYW on a personalised car number plate, as officials feared the slogan "Come on you whites" had racist connotations.

University professor Jonathan Kotler said he was "shocked" at the decision.

Launching his legal case, he claimed the decision by the California Department of Motor Vehicles violated his right to freedom of speech.

"It's just a shirt colour," he said.

"The people at the DMV are either extra thick or very PC."

Prof Kotler applied for a plate that would read COY-W - an abbreviation of the slogan commonly used by Fulham football fans - and a hashtag seen every weekend on many Twitter posts about the club.

The 73-year-old, who was born in New Jersey and now lives in Calabasas, California, has been a fan of Fulham FC for decades, after watching a match "by happenchance" during a visit to London.

He was originally a fan of both Manchester United and Fulham, but chose his current allegiance in 2006 when both teams were in the Premier League.

Prof Kotler, who teaches media law at the University of Southern California, put in his application for the number plate last year and had to include the reasons for his choice of letters, but it was turned down.

The Department of Motor Vehicles said the COYW slogan could be considered hostile, insulting, or racially degrading, according to the US federal legal case.

"I sent them tons of material," Prof Kotler told the BBC. "Press releases, stories from the British media, letters from the chairman who uses 'come on you whites'.

"I pointed out that many clubs in Britain are known by their colour - the blues, the clarets. Nobody thought the Liverpool reds were communists."

He added: "Even when I did it, it was the furthest thing from my mind that anyone would object to it. I was shocked, absolutely."

"This is crazy''

He said the club's owner, Shahid Khan, "uses the phrase all the time".

"Half of the team are non-white. And it's just a shirt colour. It's got nothing to do with anything other than that.

"I decided this is crazy, this is enough. I can take it up to a point but this became personal."

Prof Kotler said he travels to watch Fulham play in Britain on average around eight to 10 times a season, often taking the 11-hour flight on a Thursday and returning back in the US by Tuesday ready to teach his students.

In his legal complaint, he is asking the court to declare the DMV's criteria for personalised licence plates unconstitutional. He claims he has been deprived of his right to freedom of speech.

The Department of Motor Vehicles says it does not comment on pending legal cases.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-47876650

• Subscriber
7 hours ago, Spike said:

but do they still have that Michael Jackson statue?

36 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

It's in the Football Museum mate, keep up.

Not anymore :D

The Michael Jackson Statue is a plaster and resin sculpture of Michael Jackson commissioned by Mohamed Al-Fayed and originally unveiled in 2011 outside Craven Cottage, the ground of Fulham Football Club of which Al-Fayed was chairman. It was removed by new Fulham chairman Shahid Khan in 2013 and moved to the National Football Museum in Manchester in 2014. It was removed from display in 2019.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statue_of_Michael_Jackson

• 5 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Hats off to the Fulham board, none of the normal booting him out of the door because he could not save them from relegation and then wasting fans dosh in trying to find a replacement. 

1418155703_DONTDELETE.thumb.png.a07dee8bd4a8e1184cfbc05abec8fc36.png

Scott Parker: Fulham appoint ex-captain as permanent manager

Scott Parker has been appointed Fulham manager on a two-year contract.

The former England midfielder, 38, was promoted from first-team coach to caretaker boss in February after Claudio Ranieri was sacked.

He lost his first five games in charge as Fulham were relegated from the Premier League, but then three of the next four matches.

Chairman Shahid Khan said he believed Parker is "more than up to the task" of returning the club to the top flight.

"Now, the challenge lies with me to move things forward," said Parker. "Ultimately, success comes from a culture and a desire - that needs to be our foundation. We'll drive a culture here that our fans will recognise.

"I've got 20 years of playing experience and 20 years of being in changing rooms. I want to use that experience to help the club be successful and move things forward."

He was capped 18 times by England and played nearly 600 professional games, mainly in the Premier League for Charlton, Chelsea, Newcastle, West Ham and Tottenham, before ending his career at Fulham in June 2017.

A year later he returned to the club as first-team coach, having been in charge of Tottenham's Under-18 side.

"Scott was brave to accept a very difficult challenge in February when appointed as our caretaker manager," Khan said. "Since that time, day by day, whether in training or on matchday, we've undeniably become a better football club."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48230034

• Administrator

I think they knew they'd probably get relegated anyway so hired Parker knowing they could give him a shot in Championship.

If they improve on their transfer business and make shrewd signings fit for that league I think we could see them come back up straight away. 

Archived