talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

[FM19] ...Dan - OGC Nice, Montpellier

football forum

Just finished my fourth season, what better time to start a thread?

Season 1:

I chose to start as NIce. I made my first mistake before a game was played by accidentally leaving Balotelli out of my squad...he did not forgive me. xD This is my first save on this game (in fact on any game since FM16 I think) so it was difficult at first. I told the board I'd aim for Europe...but hovered around 7th-10th for most of the season. In march they started to lose patience and gave me four games to turn things around. I won the first then didn't win any of the next three and was sacked. I spent the rest of the season looking for a new club...but nothing of interest came up.

Season 2:

Montpellier had been relegated and sacked their manager. I got the job. I managed to keep hold of a lot of good players. The only players I lost that I was bothered by were Shkiri and Aguilar. I brought in Caqueret and Toma Basic on loan to make up for losing Shkiri, and Dominik Iorfa on a free to replace Aguilar. Amin Younes and Gonzalo Paciencia also came in on loan. Wolfsburg activated my best CB Cozza's release clause on the last day of the winter window...he was the player I was determined to keep. I brought in Gabriel from Lille for 425k to replace him.  We won the league pretty easily with 91 points, fifteen more than 2nd placed Grenoble.

Season 3:

Toma Basic was very impressive on loan so I forked out 4.5m to buy him. Lucas Lima had spent the last 2 seasons on loan here and I bought him too for 3.4m. Paciencia too for 900k. Saulo Decarli and Jordy Gaspar came in for free, Ibou Sissoko for 1.5m and Moussa Niakhate for 3.8m to finally replace Cozza properly. The season started with a 4-0 loss at PSG. Fortunately, things improved from there. After a slow start we won three games out of four in September and in October...the most impressive being a 1-0 win against OM. In November we played Lyon at home and won 2-0, Monaco away where we were 7 minutes away from a 1-0 win before Monaco equalised and it ended 1-1, then a disappointing draw with Amiens. in December and January we won seven out of nine, before a bad February where we were knocked out of the cup by Clermont, drew three games in a row against Lille, Toulouse and Marseille, then lost at home to Reims. We then beat Grenoble, Nice and Lyon (again), drew with Monaco again, and beat Nantes, Troyes and Metz. So after 36 games of our first season back in Ligue 1 we were 2nd, only behind PSG. Monaco were right behind us, our last two games were Bordeaux away and PSG at home. If we beat Bordeaux we'd have every chance of finishing 2nd. We drew 0-0. That meant we had to beat PSG to have a chance of taking 2nd place back from Monaco. We did not. We took the lead 2 minutes in then went 5-1 down before getting one back right at the end, followed by PSG scoring another. xD We started and finished the season with thrashings by PSG...but what happened in between was incredible. From Ligue 2 to the Champions League in a year.

Season 4:

After 2 seasons on loan here, Lyon decided they wanted to use Maxence Caqueret this season. He'd been a key part of our success and I was very disappointed to lose him. I replaced him with Ismael Bennacer for 8m. We received some big offers for Iorfa, and since Youcef Atal was going for so cheap at my old club Nice I decided to sell for 10m and bring in Atal for 2.9m. Despite the success of last season, our strikers weren't really prolific. I think Laborde got ten or eleven. I decided I needed to improve that area of the squad to succeed in Europe...I think my search was something like composure and off the ball 13+, goals this season 15+. I found an 20 year old Argentinian who'd scored 16 goals in 24 games. Scouted him and he had 4 and a half star potential and was available for under 15m. I got him for 12.5m...half now and half in installments. It was a huge chunk of my budget but I'd sold well and I thought it was worth it. Well...as you can see from this, he's been a success xD

9rq009.png

With his help we had another fantastic season. I've just noticed that or league record is actually identical to last season's. W22, D9, L7, 75 points and third behind PSG and Monaco again.

In Europe we had to go through two qualifying round to get to the group stage. We got past Anderlecht and Sporting Lisbon before being drawn with Juve, Dortmund and Besiktas in the group. We lost to Juve twice, drew with Dortmund twice and beat Besiktas twice, wasn't quite good enough to beat Dortmund to the 3rd...so down into the Europa League we went:

24nr3pg.png

I thought Napoli was gonna be the end of the road for us, but no. That 3-0 win is probably one of my best ever results in any FM game.

From Ligue 2 to Europa League champions in two years! :D

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
10 minutes ago, ...Dan said:

Here's my squad and tactics:

2romi3m.png

Two ball-playing defenders I've always found risky. Whenever I've played, I've conceded a lot and when I changed just one to a central defender with normal defensive responsibilities, the rate of conceding goals significantly decreased. 

11 minutes ago, Stan said:

Two ball-playing defenders I've always found risky. Whenever I've played, I've conceded a lot and when I changed just one to a central defender with normal defensive responsibilities, the rate of conceding goals significantly decreased. 

Yeah in the past I've gone with just one but I decided to try this and I like it. Lecomte kept 17 clean sheets (the best) in the league the season before last so we're doing alright. 64 goals conceded in two seasons. It certainly helps us going forward.

25 minutes ago, ...Dan said:

Yeah in the past I've gone with just one but I decided to try this and I like it. Lecomte kept 17 clean sheets (the best) in the league the season before last so we're doing alright. 64 goals conceded in two seasons. It certainly helps us going forward.

Also we've just gone seven league games without conceding, one conceded in the last nine (all wins), two conceded in 11 games this season.

Drawn against Inter in the first knockout round of the CL. First leg at the San Siro....I played cautiously and in the 84th minute they made it 4-0. That was when I decided to change my tactics to try to get something to at least make the 2nd leg interesting...

D3a8u4RW0AAdblq.jpg:large

Went better than expected, two goals in six minutes gave us a decent chance of a comeback at home.

Learned from my mistake and showed them no respect in the 2nd leg, we played our game and this is how it went...

D3a9UaSW4AA9Agc.jpg:large

Brilliant performance. Into the quarter-final we go.

Drawn against Man Utd in the QF. Home leg first...

4kzmlc.jpg

Nketiah came off the bench to put us 2-0 up and in the driving seat...Lucas Lima came on and gave away a stoppage time penalty to fuck it up xD

Second leg...

2lk2y3o.jpg

They went ahead on away goals, we went back in front with a penalty...then 4 seconds from time they equalise again to take it to extra time.

They dominated both periods but didn't score.

We have an awful record on penalties but in the end Lindelof put his over the bar when the pressure was on, and we progress to the semi final.

Drawn against Man City in the semi-final. Away leg first...

D3eOX9lW0AAjSgV.jpg:large

We played well but couldn't take our chances. Perez has been disappointing recently. 1-0 isn't a bad result, but we'd need to keep a clean sheet in the 2nd leg.

We played brilliantly in the 2nd leg but lacked one thing, the ability to take our chances. Perez put us in front early, but we couldn't add to it. Atal got a 2nd yellow in the 78th minute which made our task a lot harder. After 90 minutes it was still 1-0 which meant extra time. We fought well with ten men, continued to create chances and defend well, but no goals in extra time meant it went to penalties.

D3eRCvVXsAAPZXW.jpg:large

Asensio missed their first penalty which gave us hope, but when Isidor had the chance to win it with our 5th penalty Ederson saved.

Our 6th penalty taker was our star striker Juan Pablo Perez, and he put it wide. Pulisic then stepped up and broke our hearts.

On 11/04/2019 at 00:46, ...Dan said:

D31FM7IXsAAY2uQ.jpg:large

My first win against PSG since 2018 when I was at Nice. About time.

Their first defeat of the season as well.

Beat them twice in a row, this time in the Coupe de la Ligue final B|

2vcayxi.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Haven't updated this thread in a while. We've won the Europa League a 2nd time since I last updated, but it's been the same story in the league...PSG  are too good. We actually challenged them for once last year though, finished 2 points behind I think. This season they won it with 3 games to spare, we came 2nd again, but...I'm here to talk about the CL...

I only noticed this when I screenshotted, but every group game finished 1-0 xD Five wins and 1 loss took us through as group winners into the knockout phase.

We got past Dortmund, Man Utd and Inter to make it to the club's first ever CL final.

oqd1sz.jpg

We played PSG in the Coupe de France final 3 days before the CL final (lost 2-0), which wasn't ideal, but our players fought through the fatigue and pulled it off.

lfn6b.png

Perez scored after 16 seconds then his extra time replacement Sanogo came on and got the winner :D

What makes me even more happy is we achieved this even with the officials against us. We had a player sent off in the quarter final 2nd leg and the final, both have since been rescinded.

• Subscriber
On 13/05/2019 at 22:49, Grizzly21 said:

Keep updating it mate. The FM forum has been dead for a while. Time to bring it back. I'll read it all.

Guilty as charged. I'll get into my Lyon save. I've got up to about November of the first year.

Archived